Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 07:24   #46

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28
Re: Extra Cruising Cost for a "Big" Boat

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;3207419]Big boats don't motor instead of sailing in light wind because they can't sail. They do it sometimes because they are in a hurry and hold enough fuel that they don't have to worry about running out if they do.

QUOTE]

Sorry, don't buy it. Still, the "they are in a hurry" part says it all.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 07:39   #47

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Big boats don't motor instead of sailing in light wind because they can't sail. They do it sometimes because they are in a hurry and hold enough fuel that they don't have to worry about running out if they do. But this is thread drift.
Actually it does pertain to cost (fuel). Agree size doesn't matter as much as impatient owners that need to fire up the motor if they fall below 8 kts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
No argument with the breakdown of the numbers for cost, and to each his own when it comes to boat design and size choices. But, let me just put this out there as food for thought to those boatless newbies who are contemplating the size of their potential cruising boat purchase.
Will agree w/you, newbies don't need the larger boat and when you are younger you can easily handle less "comfort". We did it and don't have a problem if you don't mind living in that style. Having the simple boat w/o the "luxury" items can be refreshing from a maintenance stand point.

Compared to many our larger boat is very simple, but we still have pressure water, a hot water tank and refrigeration. Ours are fairly robust so are fairly low maintenance items. It's nice to to have these simple add ons for cruising, which does save in time/effort not accounted in the budget/cost crunching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
One of the biggest advantages (aside from lower costs) of small boats, especially here in the finicky Med and the frequent light winds is that we sailed a lot while the really big guys motored. In 8 knots we moved an easy 4, and in 10 we moved right along at 5.
Will respectfully disagree w/your assessment. Would say our ~50' is on the heavier side and can still do 50-60% of low wind speeds w/our normal sails. (Our displacement/len. is similar to yours and our 100% SA/disp. is slightly more). With the assym up we are running closer to apparent wind speeds in light air. We like to sail more than motor and we tolerate lower hull speeds more than others.

Larger modern sloops (lighter disp.) rigged w/taller masts and full roach sails do very well in light air and don't need to motor much at all.

All in all we like the larger boat as a steadier platform for cruising. I worked my way up from a 23' to where we are now and sailed many boats over the years. Based on my experience w/various boat sizes, I really appreciate the stability of the larger boat for offshore work. ymmv
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 07:45   #48
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

know what???

the thread ISN'T about whether "big" boats cost more to own and operate, I am 100% positive I showed in post #1 that they are
Old 13-08-2020, 08:55   #49

Quote:
know what???

the thread ISN'T about whether "big" boats cost more to own and operate, I am 100% positive I showed in post #1 that they are

Since you are the OP and you did show they cost more to operate, I agreed w/you upfront. Was there anything else were you trying to get at?
Old 13-08-2020, 09:35   #50
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Since you are the OP and you did show they cost more to operate, I agreed w/you upfront. Was there anything else were you trying to get at?
well it is in post 1 and I figured since you made post 4 & 18 you read it
Old 13-08-2020, 09:48   #51

I think the true comparison is different.
Many people pretty much rebuild their boats before going cruising.
After you do that, while cruising, the cost is minimal. But rebuilding a big boat that a damn fairlead block alone costs $300 is expensive.

I look at some of the threads on here that say "10% of boat value a year for maintenance" and think "that's ridiculous, I spent almost nothing". But the reality is I spent my money before cruising....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 09:56   #52

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinocoFlo View Post
A 41ft boat is not a “BIG” boat IMHO. Larger boats begin at 50 feet these days.
If my math is correct 41 is larger than 31. I think the point was a comparison and not a statement about any specific boat size.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 10:20   #53

Quote:
well it is in post 1 and I figured since you made post 4 & 18 you read it

Oh, you just wanted "stories"?
Old 13-08-2020, 10:44   #54
S/V rubber ducky

I will try this one last time.

The thread isn't about costs of purchasing and refitting bigger boats. The thread was just an example of how the CRUISING costs FOR ME would have changed the last 46 months if I had a 31' boat instead of a 41'. It is just an example for planners to consider when picking a boat as to "I can/can't afford to cruise on X' boat because it is so big. We need to get a X'-10' boat instead."

Of course it doesn't really matter anymore. The only people who would likely read this far are ones posting on it or looking to see if the fight gets wound up. Everyone else most likely would have stopped by post 10 or so as the point was finished.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:59   #55

Quote:
Of course it doesn't really matter anymore. The only people who would likely read this far are ones posting on it or looking to see if the fight gets wound up. Everyone else most likely would have stopped by post 10 or so as the point was finished.
We love drama on your posts.

Actually, your posts are very informative and appreciated. Thank you for sharing.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:59   #56

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Can we drill down to the penny now? Is monohull or cat cheaper to cruise? What size anchor for big boat, little boat?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 12:13   #57
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Can we drill down to the penny now? Is monohull or cat cheaper to cruise? Mono I would bet by the same amount as I posted for the extra marina costsWhat size anchor for big boat, little boat? depends on whether you are looking for an insurance settlement so you can move up to a "real" boat
these are beginner wannabe questions I expected more for you

Old 13-08-2020, 13:28   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

As boat size goes up I would guess upkeep cost is exponential.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 13:32   #59

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
these are beginner wannabe questions I expected more for you

My $600/year slip will only fit a 35 footer. Of course that includes water and electric not to mention trash pickup.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 14:16   #60
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
My $600/year slip will only fit a 35 footer. Of course that includes water and electric not to mention trash pickup.
and all you have to do to get the deal is ................................... stay there

Tags
boat, cruising