Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Establishing Residency via St. Brendan's Isle, Escapees etc

Please post the details about the Court procedure, all I know is there is an affidavit involved.

Is it necessary to do this in person?

Has anyone ever had a service provider refuse to accept SBI's 411 Walnut Street address?

Has anyone heard of other jurisdictions providing a government-approved workaround for the domicile / residential address issue?

I believe Escapees has also put lawyers onto the issue, does that work just as well?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:58   #2

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Establishing Residency via St. Brendan's Isle, Escapees etc

I mailed in a notarize form Declaration of Domicle to the Clay County Controller.
SBI had the form if I recall correctly, I did this in 2011. I did this by mail and or fax, never went to Florida.
This is and has been my only address.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2018, 12:52   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I had a discussion with SBI on the phone about a year ago regarding their assistance with establishing residency. They said at the time that I needed to do it in person. But they also said I would have to pay tax on my boat, which is not true if you just keep it registered wherever it is.

The only problem I’ve had with using SBI as my residential mailing address is very occasionally it will be rejected by online forms that wont accept the box number format. Leaving the box number off or putting it on a new line has always been a workaround.

Never had a problem with my bank, broker, insurance co etc
Old 04-12-2018, 14:53   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

I too was considering using SBI when we move aboard next year in April then take off end of year for Mexico and So American etc. Does anyone know how the boat registration with SBI is handled etc. for our CG Documented vessel? I need some mentoring to set up m change of affairs on how best to go about leaving California, Using a service like SBI, maintaining CG documentation and how to deal with our Wells Fargo banking account which I assume I can just do a change of address to SBI. It cant be simple.....
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 15:16   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, changing the Documentation is that simple. Change the address via NVDC, renew online as needed, and the original will be mailed to your SBI address.

Get SBI to email you a very high quality color scan, get a bunch of high quality prints of it, and that will be good enough for most authorities (not all , depends on country, but the majority). SBI can then forward the original to you when feasible.

The Documentation change and management is easy, but it can spark fishing expeditions for taxes by States (details vary depedning on where you change from/to...there are several threads on this subject).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 16:11   #6
cruiser

If you've been a lucrative taxpayer for California, you may want to **really** cut your ties to there, document as much as possible, don't spend much time there.

Can't just move away on paper and expect them to accept it easy.

High net worth people may want to get professional advice.
Old 04-12-2018, 20:40   #7

Boat: Allied 39

We. have been using SBI for almost 15 years and they are great. I established residency at the time via email with the guidance of SBI. Not sure how it’s done now. I had to travel to Florida to obtain a drivers license using the SBI address. Just renewed that today via email.

I also use Wells Fargo and just changed my address to SBI.

If you are currently paying “ Use Tax” to your local county in California If you don’t stop it before you leave it will be a huge hassle. I went into the SD county’s tax office and submitted notification that I was leaving California for Mexico. Gave them a marina address in La Paz. I then asked them to stamp my copy so I had a reference in case they started chasing me for $$. Never had a problem after that but we have all heard issues about the county trying to charge you use tax when you are out of the country.

I use SBI to sign and return my USCG documentation and pay the fee. They then send me a scanned copy of the renewed USCG doc so I have on file until the original one arrives

I have been rejected by numerous banks when trying to open a new bank account. 5 times via email and I even sent them the domicile certificate from the county clerks office. Funny a week after I got denied the bank was busted for Money laundering (a just reward )

Just today received notice that SBi will not be able to be used for voting purposes but they have a solution that is ok for Clay county using a marina address.

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 05-12-2018, 05:37   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I have been rejected by numerous banks when trying to open a new bank account. 5 times via email and I even sent them the domicile certificate from the county clerks office
Did you need to go to court, file an affidavit or what to get that "domicile certificate"? Was that also part of the SBI-sponsored procedure or separate? Is that a standard thing in all Florida, or just that county?

Why were the banks rejecting you? Was it that the SBI "domicile" address 411 Walnut Street was getting blackballed in their database? Did your driver's licence address match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Just today received notice that SBi will not be able to be used for voting purposes but they have a solution that is ok for Clay county using a marina address.
So does that mean one should switch all the DL / financial reporting / legal "domicile" address entries over to that marina? Is there an extra fee for that?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

SBI sent out emails yesterday regarding exactly what to do and not do regarding chasing your address for voting purposes, with links.

Basically it appears that you change ONLY your voting registration address, you do not change address for anything else.

All my addresses except for voting use 411 Walnut st, voting before the change was 1 Clay Street for everyone.
Address for my drivers listened is the Document number of the boat, which is IAW Fl law.

The voting “Issue” has been solved and is no longer an issue, until of course someone makes an issue of it and starts again

I never lost voting privileges myself.

Domicile Certificate is issued by the County Clerk and put on file there.
It however hasn’t been accepted the one time I tried to use it as proof of residence when I opened a bank account for the wife, however they did accept the voters registration card
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:53   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
All my addresses except for voting use 411 Walnut st, voting before the change was 1 Clay Street for everyone.
So they gave a new address to be used for the Voter's card? Does that (different) address show on the card?

> Address for my drivers listened is the Document number of the boat, which is IAW Fl law.

What do they do if your boat is not Documented? Presumably if just registered, the boat must be Florida-based?
Old 05-12-2018, 17:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I assume, maybe you will be sent a new card.
I don’t know what is put down if the boat isn’t documented.
Our boat’s home port is in Fl, but I don’t think that matters, they didn’t check to see if it was Fl registered, although it is/
What we did was physically go to St. Brendan’s isle, they gave us a check sheet or instructions said go here, fill out this form, go to the next place, fill out this form etc. others have done it all online or through the mail.
Of course many have done this so when you get there, they know what forms you need etc.
Whole process took I’d guess a half a day, only real expense associated was if you want or need to get Fl tags on a car, that is $300 each car for “New vehicle on the road tax” it’s a one time payment and the price is the same if it’s an old beater or a new Rolls.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25   #12
cruiser

OK. I'm trying to figure out what can be "generalized" from their processes for those in other counties or even states who want to DIY the Domicile address process separate from the letterbox service.

The "database blacklisting" services will become much more sophisticated and pervasive, so doing this 100% legally in an officially approved manner, without "lying" about living at the claimed residence, is going to be very attractive to many nomads.

So far I've only heard of the "Domicile Certificate" connected to SBI, dunno if that is something that was pout in place by that county explicitly to cater to SBI's customers.
Old 20-12-2020, 13:20   #13

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Address for my drivers listened is the Document number of the boat, which is IAW Fl law.
Is this still possible with the implementation of the REAL ID act?
Pirate Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 17:02   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We just went to the DMV in clay county for an unrelated issue and was told by the kind lady behind the counter that next time we get our license renewed we will not be able to use 411 Walnut as our address. Instead we would have to list our boat documentation number.

So much for opening bank accounts and so forth...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 18:07   #15

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We just went to the DMV in clay county for an unrelated issue and was told by the kind lady behind the counter that next time we get our license renewed we will not be able to use 411 Walnut as our address. Instead we would have to list our boat documentation number.

So much for opening bank accounts and so forth...
That's very bad news.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc