Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 11:26   #16

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: Entering the Bahamas with a criminal record

USA has about 1% of its population incarcerated, so probably 4% or more of the living american citizens are what they call felons... So considering that the american population is 300 millions , 12 millions of living compatriots are therefore stuck with and branded for ever with this unique and ugly strigmate . I believe that is a world record!. I don't think that Canada refuses american 'felons' except for big criminals. Our home raised Canadian criminals travel abroad for vacations it seem, without problems, and Canada will erase some criminal records after a time if reabilitation. Our home brew criminal won't be accepted in USA where any slight record will make you a persona non grata for ever!) .
As allway when dealing with border officers you have to keep in mind that you don't have any power, and you should never ever lie(except if your name is Donald) , but the best attitude is to just answer precisely to the questions, but no more.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 12:01   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Although we now know that "the truth isn't the truth", presenting "alternative facts" only works at the highest levels.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 12:39   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

congrats on completing your time and hopefully probation as well. get your passport and don't look back.
Old 20-12-2018, 12:41   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

In the late 90's I purchased a motor-home in the state of Maine and started driving it back to Newfoundland. When reaching the boarder at Calais/ St.Stephen, I was told to pull over for an inspection (which I expected). Unknown to me, there was a 50lb box of framing nails tucked deep behind the water tank under the settee. At the time, there was a trade dispute between the US and CA concerning nails. I got a big fine and was entered into the system data base. Later, about 2007, I was crossing the boarder between Haines,AK and B.C. Canada (a boarder crossing literally in the middle of nowhere), and was greeted by an agent who already knew my name even before the car stopped. I asked him how he knew I was coming and he replied "we saw you coming from miles away." This would explain why I am always segregated at US/CAN boarder crossing and thoroughly searched, even to the point of emptying my scuba tanks of air, removing the valves, and visually looking inside of them. I can never be removed from the system. I was told that they do searches based on criminal "charges" not criminal "convictions". Its best to be truthful because boarder agents have judicial privilege. But this is just US/CAN relations. Like you, I do plan on traveling outside and hope the rest of the world (Bahamas) isn't so rigid, for the sake of us criminals anyway. Best of luck.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 13:07   #20

I would think that IF the Bahamas asked for and denied entry due to past criminal convictions the islands would be pretty empty of folks!
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 13:23   #21

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Speaking generally (not specific to US Bahamas), and having researched this as a general travel issue, the question/answers could be broken down into 5 parts:

1. does the country of entry ask the question?
- most do, some don't eg Vanuatu (I think).
2. If so, what is the wording of the question?
- the question varies for different countries. I think Australia asks for any criminal record, some (the US) if you've been convicted and imprisoned for more than a stated period (6 months?), others are only ask about violent crimes, etc etc.
3. is the person entering going to tell the truth, or prepared to lie?
- a mate with a dishonest offence who refuses to take the risk of lying to customs about his dishonesty offence ... "what? I say ... are you going to make it worse by lying <grin> ?"
4. does the country of entry have the ability to check the answer?
- very few countries have online access to each other's criminal databases. I am aware that Canada and US do, and aware of no other, at all. Australia and New Zealand do not.
- whether there is a special warning out against the traveller.
5. does the process occur on entry, or prior to entry in a visa application?
- China requires a visa, so you pay the money and answer the questions before travel.

Of interest may be that airlines give a refund if travel is prevented by a visa issue. Qantas for sure.

The short answer is by far the majority of countries don't check the answer, and can't check the answer in a short period, and relay on criminals answering the question honestly, which just seems strange. But that's the way it is in general terms.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 13:30   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Been in and out of the Bahamas many times over many decades. Never been asked about criminal history (but have none)...if asked that in the 80's in the Bahamas I would have had a hard time not laughing (the drug trade was most of their GDP!).

Never been asked that at any border crossing (of course, in developed countries, with more automation at the border, they probably know the moment they scan your passport).

I have been thru the residency/work permit process in several countries and for most you need a criminal background check.

So, unless applying for residency/work permit, you are unlikely to even be asked in most countries.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 13:54   #23

Boat: C&C

One of my friends has to have a "waiver" to get into the US which cost him over $2,000 to get after I think 5 years of his conviction. Then, he renews it every year I believe at no cost, might be a slight fee?
Anyways, he's entered The Bahamas twice with me on my boat, never been asked anything about it. He's been listed on the cruising permit also, no problem. That was 4 and 5 years ago respectfully. I've entered ever since and never had problems so even if it went over to Nassau and checked out eventually, no one cared or I'm sure I or rather my vessel would have been tagged some way and it hasn't. So like everyone else has said, get your passport and get over to The Bahamas. Don't know about going anywhere else. Enjoy and safe travels!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 14:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
I would think that IF the Bahamas asked for and denied entry due to past criminal convictions the islands would be pretty empty of folks!
You think only criminals visit the Bahamas?
Old 20-12-2018, 14:08   #25

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
... I think Australia asks for any criminal record, some (the US) if you've been convicted ...
Scotty Kiwi just to further expand on this. As you may know NZ has the clean slate legislation but when a Kiwi enters Oz, you are still required to disclose convictions prior to the wipe. And the Oz Immigration do an NZ Police check at the border. You'll usually see 3-4 people from every NZ plane sitting in seats behind the Customs/Immigration booths. Most are granted visas. I had a small drug conviction when I was 18 and the penalty was a $200 fine. I'm a NZ citizen, 60 next birthday but that conviction is still an issue when crossing many borders, including OZ.
As people have mentioned some countries don't ask.
Old 20-12-2018, 14:14   #26

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here is the section from the form that a visitor to the Bahamas must complete when entering as a USA citizen. This was introduced 2015.
Citizens from some 78 other countries do not need to fill in the form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bahamas Criminal Declaration.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	182560  
Old 20-12-2018, 18:38   #27

Thank you to all who have offered advice and knowledge on the subject.
Freeoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 19:00   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
....... I don't think that Canada refuses american 'felons' except for big criminals. .......
Far from accurate:
Quote:
Under Canada’s immigration law, if you have committed or been convicted of a crime, you may not be allowed into Canada. In other words, you may be “criminally inadmissible.”

This includes both minor and serious crimes, such as:

theft,
assault,
manslaughter,
dangerous driving,
driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and
possession of or trafficking in drugs or controlled substances.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nvictions.html
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 19:31   #29

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Here is the section from the form that a visitor to the Bahamas must complete when entering as a USA citizen. This was introduced 2015.
Citizens from some 78 other countries do not need to fill in the form.
This is NOT correct. Only US resident non-citizens have to apply for a visa and that is only if you are asking to stay for over 30 days. US citizens only need to apply for a visa to stay longer than 90 days. To apply for a cruising permit, you do not need to fill out a visa application. You just need a passport, immigration form, and a cruising permit application.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 01:19   #30
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
USA has about 1% of its population incarcerated
At a given time.

The United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, but it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.

nearly half of U.S. adults have had an immediate family member incarcerated
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/rep...-incarcerated/

Chart https://static.prisonpolicy.org/images/pie2016.jpg
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, record