Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 10:39   #31

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: East Coast vs West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Just for grins, here's a link to some photos, mainly from cruising BC and SE Alaska, which we've been doing in our small boat for 20+ summers so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18035626@N05/

Don't have much experience cruising the east coast, except for charter sailing in the Abacos, BVI, and St Martin areas. But sure do love the uncrowded wildness, scenic beauty, critters, and seafood of the PNW coast.
What's your season like in a boat that size. I saw a few this summer up Desolation Sound way but they didn't look like shoulder season cruisers. But what do I know Great pictures BTW, I dream of seeing whales like like that some day.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:55   #32

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Right now at Isthmus Cove on Catalina Island it's in the mid 70s Fahrenheit and at night it goes down to the upper 60s. Only a half dozen other boats about in a mooring field for 300. Water still warm enough to snorkel without a wetsuit. Not bad for mid October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 16:35   #33

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Seriously? The Missouri River is navigable by a sailboat all the way to the Gulf? Man the more I learn... That would be an awesome trip in itself...
I have only cruised this region via my armchair so no guarantees on accuracy. There are people on this forum who have spent years and years on these rivers and will be a much better resource. Here is what I have researched:

The Missouri river is channeled and dredged (6 feet?) to facilitate commercial traffic such as this barge traffic up river to Sioux City Iowa.

From the confluence of with the Mississippi, one can then travel north into the Great lakes. I believe there is a fixed bridge of about 15 feet clearance near Chicago so the ability to lower a sailing vessel's mast is a requirement.

The Ohio river and some of it's tributary's are also navigable such as the Cumberland river to at least Nashville Tennessee.

Search "Great Loop" for all the details on this popular cruising alternative.
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:19   #34

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Which brings up that the east coast has the ICW, if one is not an off shore boater.
Off shore may be faster if you just want to move the boat but it has to be pretty boring. On the ICW you have towns and cities to stop in and wildlife to see in between. To me, that's the pleasure of boating.
Old 17-10-2014, 06:28   #35

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What's your season like in a boat that size. I saw a few this summer up Desolation Sound way but they didn't look like shoulder season cruisers. But what do I know Great pictures BTW, I dream of seeing whales like like that some day.
We've cruised the PNW from early May to early September. Wouldn't want to be on the water north of Vancouver Island after mid September.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, west coast