Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
East Coast US Year-Round Live Aboard in a Downtown?

I currently keep a sailboat docked in Burlington Harbor (Lake Champlain) and enjoy having a place to stay on the water that is in walking distance of food/music/culture etc.... The problem? It's a short 5 months out of the year.

Are there any/many marinas along the east coast that allow year-round liveaboards and are located in short walking distance of nice small/medium sized cities? Maybe the list is long and this is not specific enough? I've found that looking in a couple of areas it's rare to find marinas that advertise liveaboards welcome ...so I guess that is where I think the difficulty comes from. Even a few suggestions would be helpful if anyone has experience!
pat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Re: East coast US year-round live aboard in a downtown?

There is an awesome little marine in New Bern, NC. I never kept my boat here but I went through this town a few times (both by car and by boat). The owners were very nice, the town is great, your'e walking distance to the historic downtown area. Here is a link to them:eBoatListings.com, the easiest way to sell your powerboat, sailboat, or catamaran

And here they are on a map:
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Well, for a much, much bigger city, look at Baltimore. The Anchorage Marina at the eclectic Fells Point area accepts liveaboards I think. Lots to do and the Inner Harbor is just a short water taxi ride away.

The Chesapeake's cruising season is from mid April through mid November.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02   #4

Boat: Catalina 30
East coast US year-round live aboard in a downtown?

St Augustine, Melbourne or Cocoa come to mind. Plenty of nice marinas here in Florida.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Wilmington, NC
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

I could provide more to this list as well but I think, if I may suggest it, that you first pick the general area or the furthest point north and then pick out the coastal or waterfront cities that most appeal to you. Once that is done, proceed to narrowing it down and choosing a specific marina. Is your priority the city itself or the marina? I would think it's the city first and marina second. So what state do you prefer? How far north will you go? Florida has plenty of possibilities of course but if Baltimore is not too far north, why not also consider Annapolis? Hampton, VA? Beaufort or New Bern NC? Wilmington SC? Savannah or Jacksonville? St Augustine? Vero beach? It's a big list so help us narrow it down by state and then city and perhaps we can offer more helpful advice about specific marinas....how does that sound?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: East coast US year-round live aboard in a downtown?

Beaufort NC...
A quaint little town only 15mins by boat from open water.. all you need just over the bridge in Moorehead City.. and its got the 'Backstreet Pub'...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40   #8

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'

Thanks for all of the replies. Paul, I should have mentioned that I'd like to be as far north as possible while still having the practical option of living on the boat year-round. Clearly people do in Florida ...and Boston on the other extreme ...but I'd like to be somewhere it's common to live year-round and there is a community feel. MD marinas seem to close up shop in Oct/Nov. Is it the same in NC? SC?
gosstyla suggested Wilmington, and I did find a marina there that encouraged liveaboards. Do people tend to stay on their boats for the whole year there?
What I was hoping, rather than a list of cities, was a list of a few marinas that offered year-round dockage and had a liveaboard population/community. Also, located right in a city downtown area. If people know of any and have experience with them I'd love to hear. There are hundreds of marinas on the coast ...but I'm guessing not too many of them fill these requirements?
pat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 15:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Pat I still think you have to choose the general location or specific city and then find the right marina. There are plenty of liveaboards in Maryland marinas/ We have given you many specific ports but I really think you should go from the general to the specific rather than the specific, or you will get lost studying hundreds of marinas. Which city do you like? Then choose by looking at marinas. Liveaboards crowd city dock in Annapolis in the winter but Baltimore can be great too. I would rule out Phila but maybe cape May??? New York on the jersey side. But Hampton can be really nice and winter is milder compared to Baltimore.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 19:33   #10

Boat: Columbia 41

Washington DC is a fairly large city. Try Gang Plank Marina or Buzzard's Point Marina. For the latter you must appear in person. If you call they will say no liveaboards.

The whole DC waterfront is in the process of redevelopment. Gang Plank will be 100% new within 3 years. There will be many, many spaces available.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 20:59   #11

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Well, as you're looking for north and already mentioned Boston look up Constitution Marina. Large year round liveaboard community, close to the city, really good people and about as far north as you'll get.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 21:55   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think I see a road trip in your future. Start visiting marinas in the areas you think you might want to live.
Old 03-05-2014, 15:26   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat77 View Post

MD marinas seem to close up shop in Oct/Nov.

Several of the marinas in Baltimore's Inner Harbor are viable year round.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55   #14

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: East Coast US Year-Round Live Aboard in a Downtown?

+1 for Anchorage Marina in Baltimore. Great community around, quiet, some liveaboards. We love it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32   #15
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
St Augustine, Melbourne or Cocoa
camachee cove in st. augustine has a couple of loaner cars you can use for shopping trips in addition to a nice inn for visitors and first rate diesel mechanics and riggers on site. the water is clear and blue there

Tags
east coast