Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 05:38   #166

Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Thanks, but I'll stick with our system. But, I will admit, it takes better care of people who put some planning into their lives, than of those who don't. Kind of like life in general.
First of all, sincere congratulations for beating cancer and getting back out on the water. May you sail long and far.

This is CF, of course. Most people who have the resources to own and use a serious cruising boat will not be economically ruined by serious illness or injury. Kind of unfair to lay blame on people who lack the same resources for not "planning" their healthcare better.

"Planning" can also include the decision to make the good health of all citizens a national goal, and choosing some path to achieve this, whether it's a government-run plan, or mandates and regulation of a wholly private healthcare industry. Most prosperous countries have set such a goal.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:21   #167
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Lake-Effect;2569053

This is CF, of course. Most people who have the resources to own and use a serious cruising boat will not be economically ruined by serious illness or injury. Kind of unfair to lay blame on people who lack the same resources for not "planning" their healthcare better.
[/QUOTE]

Well I disagree with this. Near as I can tell in the cruising community a serious illness or injury will be mostly ruined economically.

This why it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:49   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
... it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
I agree.
Old 03-02-2018, 23:58   #169

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I disagree with this. Near as I can tell in the cruising community a serious illness or injury will be mostly ruined economically.

This why it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
I have a friend who had a heart attack from an undetected defect. The bill came to over usd$800,000. For most cruisers with decent assets this would be a cruise ending amount of debt.

I was drinking 1 dollar beers with a cruiser in El Salvador. He was in his early 50s and had crewed down on a friends boat. He had setup a boat to cruise. He had a good job but was an independent contractor, so he had no work supplied insurance. He always bought his own family insurance. His wife got cancer. After a year of treatment the insurance company said they had paid out their maximum and there would be no more coverage on his wife's cancer. This is something that occurred commonly prior to Obamacare implemented restrictions. The wife died, he had to declare bankruptcy due to the overwhelming medical bills and lost the boat.

We have medical insurance to protect our assets, not as a prepaid medical plan. Paying cash for care while traveling is not a big issue. A major accident or disease is a big deal.

Solutions for US cruisers who want to cruise as an.early retiree such as in their 50s are limited. For many an ACA exchange policy is a good choice if they qualify. With Obamacare under such assault with no alternative offered, it is really only a year ahead solution. The international medical policies tend have some very poor terms for pre-existing conditions and often unreasonable caps on payments. Basically it is tough to.get decent med insurance coverage if you are US based and cruising.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:19   #170

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I have a friend who had a heart attack from an undetected defect. The bill came to over usd$800,000. For most cruisers with decent assets this would be a cruise ending amount of debt.

I was drinking 1 dollar beers with a cruiser in El Salvador. He was in his early 50s and had crewed down on a friends boat. He had setup a boat to cruise. He had a good job but was an independent contractor, so he had no work supplied insurance. He always bought his own family insurance. His wife got cancer. After a year of treatment the insurance company said they had paid out their maximum and there would be no more coverage on his wife's cancer. This is something that occurred commonly prior to Obamacare implemented restrictions. The wife died, he had to declare bankruptcy due to the overwhelming medical bills and lost the boat.

We have medical insurance to protect our assets, not as a prepaid medical plan. Paying cash for care while traveling is not a big issue. A major accident or disease is a big deal.

Solutions for US cruisers who want to cruise as an.early retiree such as in their 50s are limited. For many an ACA exchange policy is a good choice if they qualify. With Obamacare under such assault with no alternative offered, it is really only a year ahead solution. The international medical policies tend have some very poor terms for pre-existing conditions and often unreasonable caps on payments. Basically it is tough to.get decent med insurance coverage if you are US based and cruising.
I also know people backrupted, and nearly so, by the US system. The solution is simple: get outta the USA!
Old 12-06-2018, 17:46   #171

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

You're absolutely correct there are no free lunches.
However when we all through tax dollars into the pot as time goes by it takes care of all and costs no one a loss of home or undue suffering.
Furthermore, the canadian medical system/care as good or better than any other country in my humble opinion.
I have paid all my life rarely using the system but as i now am getting older i know i may need it as have others.
I do not in the least regret paying extra for others all my eorking life.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:12   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I live in Canada, and here health care is FREE.
I think that the USA is the only country in the First World that does not provide free public health care to help cure people.

But you have a great military.
“Free” is relative when one considers tax rates!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:22   #173

Boat: Rafiki 37

All I know is, if I were an American, I could not afford to live the life I’m living.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgeahead View Post
“Free” is relative when one considers tax rates!
Yes. The USA is the only major, first world country that does not provide free basic health care.

And the total cost of USA health care is about double of Canada, Germany or the UK with less good results most ways you look at it.

My wife and I live in Guatemala one of the poorest countries in the world. The public health care is far from perfect but almost every little town has a community health center where anyone can get care almost for free. If some one is seriously ill care (although not perfect), is available for free or almost free.

The private health care is excellent in Guatemala at a fraction of the cost of the first world. As a result very good, comprehensive, private health insurance is very inexpensive. Any kind of treatment / procedure is available except for the most complicated or newest treatments. I prefer getting treated in Guatemala. The doctors are excellent and are more like doctors in the USA 50 years ago in terms of the personal attention they provide.
Old 08-07-2018, 13:25   #175
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm American and 58 and my wife is 57. We pay $20.17/mo for health insurance. People such read the thread, learn the systems, take the needed actions, and stop whining.

And no I'm not going to explain it again as its already ben posted numerous times.
Old 08-07-2018, 13:36   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

First I haven’t read through this long thread so apologies if I’m covering old ground.

We are over 65 and in good health. We have Medicare but that counts for squat as we are out of the states about 10 months a year. We made a decision to buy an international policy that would cover us outside the USA, I think we are allowed 2 months visit per year. Not sure how that is counted. Anyway once we looked at the premiums we went for the Gold plan with low deductables and high maximums. I think it’s under $3,000/year.

We are splitting our time between the Carribean and Canada.

The one time my wife had to go to a hospital for an infection, in Grenada, their was no fee at all, just the cost of the prescription.
Old 08-07-2018, 16:57   #177

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
First I haven’t read through this long thread so apologies if I’m covering old ground.

We are over 65 and in good health. We have Medicare but that counts for squat as we are out of the states about 10 months a year. We made a decision to buy an international policy that would cover us outside the USA, I think we are allowed 2 months visit per year. Not sure how that is counted. Anyway once we looked at the premiums we went for the Gold plan with low deductables and high maximums. I think it’s under $3,000/year.

We are splitting our time between the Carribean and Canada.

The one time my wife had to go to a hospital for an infection, in Grenada, their was no fee at all, just the cost of the prescription.
I don't agree with your dismissal of Medicare. It is insuring against financial ruin if you get some long term, super expensive disease. Something that might leave your partner with nothing. You don't really need insurance to pay for the occasional med costs, especially overseas where it is generally low cost. It's those 3/4 million dollar bills that are far too common that needs insuring against.
Old 08-07-2018, 17:15   #178

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't agree with your dismissal of Medicare. It is insuring against financial ruin if you get some long term, super expensive disease. Something that might leave your partner with nothing. You don't really need insurance to pay for the occasional med costs, especially overseas where it is generally low cost. It's those 3/4 million dollar bills that are far too common that needs insuring against.
I gotta say Paul; those 3/4 million dollar bills are only “far too common” in the USA. No where else in the developed, or even developing, world is it common to be financial destroyed by an ailment or accident. Most other functioning societies recognize that healthcare is a basic right of citizenship.
Old 08-07-2018, 17:15   #179
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Who is dismissing Medicare?

If we get sick and come back it’s here.

It’s NOT there if we have a problem in another country.
Old 08-07-2018, 17:20   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I gotta say Paul; those 3/4 million dollar bills are only “far too common” in the USA. No where else in the developed, or even developing, world is it common to be financial destroyed by an ailment or accident. Most other functioning societies recognize that healthcare is a basic right of citizenship.
I would rather have a nice boat than guaranteed health care.
Why is that not a right?

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement