Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2021, 06:47   #466

Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe your 457 says something else. Here's what mine says. It says NOTHING about "the govt will solve our problems".

Here, I'll make it easy. Bold where I've said what you say I've said. Otherwise, stop lying.
When did I say that YOU SAID "the govt will solve our problems", so I'm not clear where you got that.

Of course, I didn't see anyone say "lift yourself by your bootstraps" before you...so defend your straw man before we talk about mine.
Old 17-02-2021, 07:14   #467
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

"Pulled up by bootstraps" bravado is just a cheap way of dismissing a narrative that does not fit a specific world view.

I found that quip quite offensive by the way.

Quote:
Sorry, but the societal facts are real, notwithstanding your individual anecdotes of perseverance and superior character.
Facts? Hardly.

I am glad that we both agree that perseverance and superior character play a major role in determining outcomes.
Old 17-02-2021, 07:20   #468

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
When did I say that YOU SAID "the govt will solve our problems", so I'm not clear where you got that.

Of course, I didn't see anyone say "lift yourself by your bootstraps" before you...so defend your straw man before we talk about mine.
Now you're just being childish. Everyone can read what you wrote. The bootstraps reference is what evm1024 is describing. If you need it, I can walk you through the etymology of the saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
"Pulled up by bootstraps" bravado is just a cheap way of dismissing a narrative that does not fit a specific world view.
No, it is a quick way of dismissing your perspective as not fitting reality.

Quote:
I found that quip quite offensive by the way.
I suppose we're even then, since I find your comments equally so.

Quote:
Facts? Hardly.

I am glad that we both agree that perseverance and superior character play a major role in determining outcomes.
Yes, FACTS. There's a mountain of research on the topic if you'd care to look. I'll happily share some here, but this will take us off topic.

Early retirement and healthcare for boaters is the topic. It is a fact that it is becoming harder for younger generations of boaters to do this.
Old 17-02-2021, 07:33   #469
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Now you're just being childish. Everyone can read what you wrote. The bootstraps reference is what evm1024 is describing. If you need it, I can walk you through the etymology of the saying.

Quote:
Early 19th century US; attested 1834. In original use, often used to refer to pulling oneself over a fence, and implying that someone is attempting or has claimed some ludicrously far-fetched or impossible task. Presumably a variant on a traditional tall tale, as elaborated below. The shift in sense to a possible task appears to have developed in the early 20th century, and the use of the phrase to mean “a ludicrous task” continued into the 1920s.
Yes Mike. I think that you should do that. Please do show us where my daughter did some ludicrously far-fetched or impossible task.

As I stated she had lots of help from me and her grand parents and made many mistakes and false starts.

I think that your most honest response would be to admit your error in using that phrase. But of course I am willing for you to show us how it was applicable to what I posted.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement