Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2021, 07:47   #466
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,840
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe your 457 says something else. Here's what mine says. It says NOTHING about "the govt will solve our problems".

Here, I'll make it easy. Bold where I've said what you say I've said. Otherwise, stop lying.
When did I say that YOU SAID "the govt will solve our problems", so I'm not clear where you got that.

Of course, I didn't see anyone say "lift yourself by your bootstraps" before you...so defend your straw man before we talk about mine.
valhalla360 is offline  
Old 17-02-2021, 08:14   #467
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 1,918
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

"Pulled up by bootstraps" bravado is just a cheap way of dismissing a narrative that does not fit a specific world view.

I found that quip quite offensive by the way.

Quote:
Sorry, but the societal facts are real, notwithstanding your individual anecdotes of perseverance and superior character.
Facts? Hardly.

I am glad that we both agree that perseverance and superior character play a major role in determining outcomes.
evm1024 is offline  
Old 17-02-2021, 08:20   #468
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,021
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
When did I say that YOU SAID "the govt will solve our problems", so I'm not clear where you got that.

Of course, I didn't see anyone say "lift yourself by your bootstraps" before you...so defend your straw man before we talk about mine.
Now you're just being childish. Everyone can read what you wrote. The bootstraps reference is what evm1024 is describing. If you need it, I can walk you through the etymology of the saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
"Pulled up by bootstraps" bravado is just a cheap way of dismissing a narrative that does not fit a specific world view.
No, it is a quick way of dismissing your perspective as not fitting reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I found that quip quite offensive by the way.
I suppose we're even then, since I find your comments equally so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Facts? Hardly.

I am glad that we both agree that perseverance and superior character play a major role in determining outcomes.
Yes, FACTS. There's a mountain of research on the topic if you'd care to look. I'll happily share some here, but this will take us off topic.

Early retirement and healthcare for boaters is the topic. It is a fact that it is becoming harder for younger generations of boaters to do this.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline  
Old 17-02-2021, 08:33   #469
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 1,918
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Now you're just being childish. Everyone can read what you wrote. The bootstraps reference is what evm1024 is describing. If you need it, I can walk you through the etymology of the saying.


Quote:
Early 19th century US; attested 1834. In original use, often used to refer to pulling oneself over a fence, and implying that someone is attempting or has claimed some ludicrously far-fetched or impossible task. Presumably a variant on a traditional tall tale, as elaborated below. The shift in sense to a possible task appears to have developed in the early 20th century, and the use of the phrase to mean “a ludicrous task” continued into the 1920s.
Yes Mike. I think that you should do that. Please do show us where my daughter did some ludicrously far-fetched or impossible task.

As I stated she had lots of help from me and her grand parents and made many mistakes and false starts.

I think that your most honest response would be to admit your error in using that phrase. But of course I am willing for you to show us how it was applicable to what I posted.
evm1024 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working Through Retirement - AKA Working Retirement CNC-Charters Boat Ownership & Making a Living 21 01-09-2012 19:58
How to Take Care of the Oceans Which Take Care of Us . . . SarasotaYacht Seamanship & Boat Handling 1 04-11-2011 10:31
Retirement in My Early 40s ? ZuiQuan Dollars & Cents 89 27-08-2010 04:31
US Health Care Bill and Cruising Stevens 47 Health, Safety & Related Gear 20 16-05-2010 06:11
Six Years to Early Retirement, then Live Aboard DocSailor Meets & Greets 39 11-11-2009 10:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.