Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2018, 15:28   #316

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Nah, there is a ton data pointing the other way. This should not be embarrassing, as the US hospitals are marketing for these Canadian dollars. I think it provides a good-natured back and forth at anchor, but comes across unnecessarily testy on a message board, IMO.

It seems that Canadians are not even the subject of this thread, as their health care concerns don't appear to be any different for "early" retirement. Thus, this is more of an American problem where non-US folks seem to be happily pointing out why the US system is so bad- it's a never ending debate, but it doesn't address the original point of the thread.(a US concern) In person, we can laugh about this stuff, methinks...

https://globalnews.ca/news/2442850/n...lthcare-waits/
https://www.kaleidahealth.org/canada/
I quoted an actual, peer reviewed study earlier in this thread. It is one of many that have been done. They always show that the numbers going to the USA are miniscule. If you dig into the Fraser Institute study (a dubious source, as I mentioned), even it shows the numbers are tiny.

I’m not saying it’s zero. Clearly if you have money the USA is the best place to go. But there isn’t a flood of Canadians seeking treatment in the USA. It’s a myth.
Old 17-11-2018, 15:34   #317

Boat: MacGregor 26

Two year wait for a knee replacement? Oh, Canada...

https://globalnews.ca/news/3339881/l...here-you-live/
Old 17-11-2018, 15:42   #318

Quote:
... Thus, this is more of an American problem where non-US folks seem to be happily pointing out why the US system is so bad- it's a never ending debate, but it doesn't address the original point of the thread.(a US concern)
Yes, it is more of an American problem, but it’s not exclusive to the USA. This is an international forum, after all. And the topic is healthcare for boaters. While you Yanks have a particular challenge, it’s a question we all must deal with.

For example, as a Canadian I have to figure out how to manage while cruising USA waters, as well as other countries. And if I’m relying on my provincial healthcare, I have to manage residency requirements.

It’s not just an American challenge.
Old 17-11-2018, 15:47   #319

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentolsen View Post
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are hoping to retire soon..both just turned 60. We are shocked at the costs for healthcare if you are not 65. I am hoping there are knowledgeable people in the forum who have traveled this road and can shed some light and hopefully share some info on a good strategy to maintain health care at an affordable rate. I understand affordable is subjective. I have found healthcare ranges from $2k to $4k depending on what options are selected...any thoughts? Words of wisdom?
Check out Medishare. My sons and families have been very happy with the cost and coverage. $60+ is around $220/mo.
Old 17-11-2018, 16:52   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
as a Canadian I have to figure out how to manage while cruising USA waters, as well as other countries. And if I’m relying on my provincial healthcare, I have to manage residency requirements.
It’s not just an American challenge.
Can you explain how EARLY retirement is different from NORMAL aged retirement, regarding Canadian health care? The US medicare system kicks in at 65, so a retired American cruiser in his 40s or 50s has a unique challenge, hence the thread title. Sure, it's an international forum, but one that contains a thread (this one) aimed at a uniquely American problem with others happily telling them that said problem is unique to America. Tell me why that is not funny.
Old 17-11-2018, 17:13   #321

Quote:
Can you explain how EARLY retirement is different from NORMAL aged retirement, regarding Canadian health care? The US medicare system kicks in at 65, so a retired American cruiser in his 40s or 50s has a unique challenge, hence the thread title. Sure, it's an international forum, but one that contains a thread (this one) aimed at a uniquely American problem with others happily telling them that said problem is unique to America. Tell me why that is not funny.
As do Canadian retirees who want to go cruising, early or not.

This thread is now 22 pages long. The discussion has meandered all over the place, as per usual. If you don’t want to discuss the issues I bring up, then stop responding to them. Simple.
Old 17-11-2018, 17:50   #322

Quote:
As do Canadian retirees who want to go cruising, early or not.

This thread is now 22 pages long. The discussion has meandered all over the place, as per usual. If you don’t want to discuss the issues I bring up, then stop responding to them. Simple.
I think the humor was lost there somewhere. (Sad)

Your healthcare issue as a Canadian, who might cruise within the US, is similar to my issue of an American cruising in Mexico. We need to arrange for insurance that will cover us away from a home country.

In your case, there are many available travel policies for this in Canada, including those offered by credit card companies. I suspect these are expensive. However, every emergency room in the US is required to treat you no matter WHAT insurance or money you have. For catastrophic illness in the US, I suppose you could do what all the other non-insured folks do: get treated and run. (don't tell them you own a boat)

In my (American) case, I have gone with the method of pay-cash in Mexico and hope I can get back to the US for the serious stuff, like a Canadian would do. (aw come on, JOKE!) I don't think this is always the best way to go, and my next cruise south will most likely include a catastrophic policy of some sort. I'm kinda curious about the DAN (Divers Alert Network) policies that my friends have.
Old 17-11-2018, 17:51   #323

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
You’re saying Medicare is cheaper than your prior policy. Are you talking pre-Obamacare or post obamacare? My private policy premium doubled and my deductible doubled overnight with Obamacare in place. And I received nothing for it.

Yes, for me Medicare is cheaper than my previous Obamacare policy with better coverage, and way cheaper than my previous private health insurance.

My pre-ACA policy increased in cost annually way faster than inflation. Since I owned the company that offerred it to our employees I saw the entire increase each year. At times it felt out of control.

When we left to cruise 8 years ago I took an ACA policy. It was good for us because it was reasonably priced and had no caps on lifetime expendentures, as well as not worrying about preexitsting conditions. We maintain health insurance to protect our assets against potentially huge US medical bills. It is pretty easy to run up a million dollar bill on an illness in the US. I don't want to die of some illness and leave my wife bankrupt with medical bills.

Many people treat health insurance as prepaid health care, so they complain about deductibles, copays etc. I'm much more concerned about the big hits. Small time health care is easy and cheap to obtain while cruising internationally.

Now that I've aged into Medicare coverage I'm impressed. Much more efficient and easier to deal with than my old policies, and at a cheaper price.

YMMV
Old 17-11-2018, 18:00   #324

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I think the humor was lost there somewhere. (Sad)

Your healthcare issue as a Canadian, who might cruise within the US, is similar to my issue of an American cruising in Mexico. We need to arrange for insurance that will cover us away from a home country.

In your case, there are many available travel policies for this in Canada, including those offered by credit card companies. I suspect these are expensive. However, every emergency room in the US is required to treat you no matter WHAT insurance or money you have. For catastrophic illness in the US, I suppose you could do what all the other non-insured folks do: get treated and run. (don't tell them you own a boat)

In my (American) case, I have gone with the method of pay-cash in Mexico and hope I can get back to the US for the serious stuff, like a Canadian would do. (aw come on, JOKE!) I don't think this is always the best way to go, and my next cruise south will most likely include a catastrophic policy of some sort. I'm kinda curious about the DAN (Divers Alert Network) policies that my friends have.
The hospital ER is required to stabilize you for an emergency medical condition, that's a far cry from treatment (and only at hospitals that except Medicare, which most).

We carry a DAN policy. They have excellent on call medical personnel who have helped out many cruisers. They also do a good job providing medical evacuations.
Old 17-11-2018, 18:30   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
...We carry a DAN policy. They have excellent on call medical personnel who have helped out many cruisers. They also do a good job providing medical evacuations.
Yes, I’ve looked at DAN in the past, and I understand they offer pretty good plans for cruisers now, at decent rates. It’s the kind of thing I’d consider when next I head down into the USA, or beyond.

Canadian healthcare is (relatively) great, but has some serious limitations for those of us who cruise. Since it is provincial-based, all provinces require an annual residency of either five or six months. And this doesn’t just include international travel. It also includes national travel. Time spent in other provinces count against your total time away each year.
Old 17-11-2018, 20:29   #326

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:

Canadian healthcare is (relatively) great, but has some serious limitations for those of us who cruise. Since it is provincial-based, all provinces require an annual residency of either five or six months. And this doesn’t just include international travel. It also includes national travel. Time spent in other provinces count against your total time away each year.
I'm sure you've looked into this but can't you get your coverage suspended for 2 years and avoid the wait time for reinstatement of coverage?
That way you can get coverage for immediate care and transport back home for treatment.
Old 17-11-2018, 20:51   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>

My pre-ACA policy increased in cost annually way faster than inflation. Since I owned the company that offerred it to our employees I saw the entire increase each year. At times it felt out of control.

When we left to cruise 8 years ago I took an ACA policy. It was good for us because it was reasonably priced and had no caps on lifetime expendentures, as well as not worrying about preexitsting conditions. ????????????
????????????????????????????????????

Now that I've aged into Medicare coverage I'm impressed. Much more efficient and easier to deal with than my old policies, and at a cheaper price.

YMMV

Many folks still do not understand the basics you've just described, Paul.

Those are the same dudes who don't know that the ACA IS Obamacare.

Dolts.

Key features were "no caps on lifetime expendentures, as well as not worrying about preexitsting conditions."

The very things the current administration is trying to eliminate.

Medicare was good to me when I lived in the US. Even with the donut hole and supp policies.

Catastrophic only coverage maybe fine if you're young.

Heck, all this is peanuts if you're healthy.

But then there was this tiny little skiing accident.

See why affordable care coverage is so important?

Why shouldn't health care be a right instead of something only rich people can afford?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-11-2018, 23:26   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Why shouldn't health care be a right instead of something only rich people can afford?
Because “right” is not a word used for things like fire protection provided by a fire department. Not a right, but a really good public service. Modern health care with well paid doctors for everyone Is a REALLY good idea. Call it a “right” and it becomes an unnecessary argument for the dolts.
Old 18-11-2018, 00:04   #329

Quote:
Because “right” is not a word used for things like fire protection provided by a fire department. Not a right, but a really good public service. Modern health care with well paid doctors for everyone Is a REALLY good idea. Call it a “right” and it becomes an unnecessary argument for the dolts.
Agreed. It’s really just a smart way to manage healthcare for all citizens. It’s socially wise and fiscally responsible. It should be a no-brainer for all political stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
I'm sure you've looked into this but can't you get your coverage suspended for 2 years and avoid the wait time for reinstatement of coverage?
That way you can get coverage for immediate care and transport back home for treatment.
Yes, there is a two-year leave option. It used to be a one-time thing in Ontario, but it’s been changed now to allow for a rebuilding of the option once it has been used. Here’s an official explanation: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...nces_fs_en.pdf. I haven’t looked at how other provinces manage this.

For those of us who want to cruise for extended years, or even just be out of your home province for long periods, it still is a difficult task maintaining eligibility.
Old 18-11-2018, 10:52   #330

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

There is an interesting product available in the us market called Bind. You buy basic coverage then basically a “Groupon” for specific as needed care. Probably only us based but definitely a different take.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement