Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2018, 13:12   #241
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36
Posts: 65
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

The reason it is only $22/month is because other tax payers are paying the balance of atleast $800/month or more. The true cost of the insurance is atleast $900/month. But, with low income reported, they get the subsidy from taxpayers. Sort of welfare.
Sailsarefull is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 13:49   #242
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,021
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
The reason it is only $22/month is because other tax payers are paying the balance of atleast $800/month or more. The true cost of the insurance is atleast $900/month. But, with low income reported, they get the subsidy from taxpayers. Sort of welfare.
Or from a different perspective, a civilized way of providing healthcare for all your citizens.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 16:03   #243
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,451
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Or from a different perspective, a civilized way of providing healthcare for all your citizens.


smj is online now  
Old 13-11-2018, 16:09   #244
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,645
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

at this time to me it seems a reasonable way to spend the money
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 16:50   #245
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: at home
Boat: no longer cf member
Posts: 352
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I live in Canada, and here health care is FREE.
I think that the USA is the only country in the First World that does not provide free public health care to help cure people.

But you have a great military.
lol, my wife is from Canadia and used to like the system there, paying 60 cents in the dollar tax.
That was a while back. A friend of hers found a lump in her breast, 3 months wait for a mamogram..... YAY!! free!!
3d mamograms in Canadia.....nope. There's 3 in a tiny town just sth of the border. YAY FREE!!!
Her uncle died because they installed a stint that was recalled in the US...YAY FREE!!!
Her Ma lives there, now, and I know what the deal is. You can have your "free healthcare"

Iam glad you like your system. I don't have a problem paying for healthcare...I do not want it "given" to me, especially by a government.

I started planning for my retirement at 22 when I bought my first house, and yeah health insurance costs me (double thanks to Obama), but I would'nt want to get sick anywhere else but in the US.

Yup, we have an awsome military. Lucky for you.

PS: I left australia at age 26, have friends and family there.....and I dont want a bar of that "free"either, thank you.
Allied39 is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 17:28   #246
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 5,451
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
lol, my wife is from Canadia and used to like the system there, paying 60 cents in the dollar tax.
That was a while back. A friend of hers found a lump in her breast, 3 months wait for a mamogram..... YAY!! free!!
3d mamograms in Canadia.....nope. There's 3 in a tiny town just sth of the border. YAY FREE!!!
Her uncle died because they installed a stint that was recalled in the US...YAY FREE!!!
Her Ma lives there, now, and I know what the deal is. You can have your "free healthcare"

Iam glad you like your system. I don't have a problem paying for healthcare...I do not want it "given" to me, especially by a government.

I started planning for my retirement at 22 when I bought my first house, and yeah health insurance costs me (double thanks to Obama), but I would'nt want to get sick anywhere else but in the US.

Yup, we have an awsome military. Lucky for you.

PS: I left australia at age 26, have friends and family there.....and I dont want a bar of that "free"either, thank you.


Yet Canada ranks #7 in the word for life expectancy and the US is #34. Also the 3rd cause of death in the US after heart attack and cancer is medical errors. Iím guessing there is no perfect place to receive healthcare, most expensive yes but no place perfect.
smj is online now  
Old 13-11-2018, 17:28   #247
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,520
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
lol, my wife is from Canadia and used to like the system there, paying 60 cents in the dollar tax.
That was a while back. A friend of hers found a lump in her breast, 3 months wait for a mamogram..... YAY!! free!!
3d mamograms in Canadia.....nope. There's 3 in a tiny town just sth of the border. YAY FREE!!!
...
Anecdotes make nice stories, but they aren't data. The breast cancer mortality rate per 100,000 is 17.60 in Canada and 17.56 in the USA. No significant difference.
https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/...country/female
The US spends about $10,000 per person on health care. Canada spends under $5,000 per person, all in US dollars.
https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...lth-u-s-spends
It's a lot more money spent for little gain.
Paul L is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 17:54   #248
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: at home
Boat: no longer cf member
Posts: 352
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Rated by? Data provided by whom?
Anecdotes are nice....LOL
When my wifes best friend is freaking out for 3 months waiting for a mamogram,yeah, nice.
Yup you go with the data, god speed!
I don't mind helping the helpless, but not the hopeless.

done.
Allied39 is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 18:51   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon to Alaska
Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Posts: 2,988
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

I spent a lot of years either in a union or running businesses with union workers. We/they had great health plans. Almost free or free. The problem with free is too many people run to the doctor for any sniffle. People don't use band-aids any more, they gotta have stitches for any cut. It all adds up and makes it expensive for everyone. Insurance is just a middleman that tries to sell healthcare for less than the actual cost. But the big cost is the trial lawyers and the malpractice insurance that doctors have to have today. But the trial lawyers pay off the politicians, and so it only gets worse.
I would love to see a basic national healthcare, but not one whose cost destroys the US like the British did.
Yes we have a great military, and there's a reason. We have commitments and lessons learned in WWII and since. Before WWII we were weak and a lot of Americans paid with their lives at the start, like Bataan, Wake Island and other places. Obsolete equipment and no support. Being weak and posing no threat didn't protect us.
Lepke is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 19:15   #250
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,520
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Rated by? Data provided by whom?
Anecdotes are nice....LOL
When my wifes best friend is freaking out for 3 months waiting for a mamogram,yeah, nice.
Yup you go with the data, god speed!
I don't mind helping the helpless, but not the hopeless.

done.
I think a lot of people agree with you, as we have the most costly health care system in the world that routinely does not produce better outcomes for the populace. So until people are willing to look at the actual costs and performance, not much is likely to change.
Paul L is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 19:21   #251
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,038
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Anecdotes make nice stories, but they aren't data
The data isn't such a nice story.
The average wait to see a specialist from a doctor's referral in Canada is 21 weeks. (This seems to line up with Allied39's "nice story".)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypi.../#694458833e7d

If you get sick in Canada you need lots of time.
If you get sick in the US, you need lots of money.
Neither country's solution sounds ideal to me.
cyan is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 19:32   #252
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Posts: 4,140
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

21 weeks!?!? Well you are in luck! There are doctors on Mexico as equally able to take care of you during your two weeks vacation and they are available immediately at a fraction of your regular cost.
zboss is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 20:13   #253
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,520
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
The data isn't such a nice story.
The average wait to see a specialist from a doctor's referral in Canada is 21 weeks. (This seems to line up with Allied39's "nice story".)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypi.../#694458833e7d

If you get sick in Canada you need lots of time.
If you get sick in the US, you need lots of money.
Neither country's solution sounds ideal to me.
Again, I agree that neither system is perfect. Wait or no wait, the US is not currently providing significantly better outcomes and often less better outcomes for the populace at twice the cost.
I can buy my meds retail online from Canada or the UK for less than my US insurance copay. But that's only a small part of it. The US medical system is at the same time paying 5 times as much for the same drug from the same company. That's part of how we spend twice as much but don't get a decent return on that investment.
Paul L is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 20:38   #254
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,664
Images: 10
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
The reason it is only $22/month is because other tax payers are paying the balance of atleast $800/month or more. The true cost of the insurance is atleast $900/month. But, with low income reported, they get the subsidy from taxpayers. Sort of welfare.
No sort of, to it. Due to good retirement planning, I guess, I get to cruise and still pay enough taxes to subsidize those who didnít plan as well. We taxpayers arenít bottomless pits, though. Something we hope politicians buying votes with our taxes would remember from time to time.
__________________
Founding member of the controversial Calypso rock band, Guns & Anchors!
Group9 is offline  
Old 13-11-2018, 21:31   #255
Registered User
 
01kiwijohn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Boat: Casacde 36
Posts: 562
Images: 1
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

I'm with you, Allied. As an ex Kiwi I am glad I don't have to deal with the "FREE" health care either. They don't break out the amount you pay for it, in your tax bill, but regardless, I doubt if there's an American who would be prepared to suffer under such a system. With no prior experience most are in the dark.
I also lived in Poland; would you like a discourse on their "free" health care too?
01kiwijohn is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working Through Retirement - AKA Working Retirement CNC-Charters Boat Ownership & Making a Living 21 01-09-2012 19:58
How to Take Care of the Oceans Which Take Care of Us . . . SarasotaYacht Seamanship & Boat Handling 1 04-11-2011 10:31
Retirement in My Early 40s ? ZuiQuan Dollars & Cents 89 27-08-2010 04:31
US Health Care Bill and Cruising Stevens 47 Health, Safety & Related Gear 20 16-05-2010 06:11
Six Years to Early Retirement, then Live Aboard DocSailor Meets & Greets 39 11-11-2009 10:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.