Cruisers Forum
 


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 06:38   #166
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 6,671
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Thanks, but I'll stick with our system. But, I will admit, it takes better care of people who put some planning into their lives, than of those who don't. Kind of like life in general.
First of all, sincere congratulations for beating cancer and getting back out on the water. May you sail long and far.

This is CF, of course. Most people who have the resources to own and use a serious cruising boat will not be economically ruined by serious illness or injury. Kind of unfair to lay blame on people who lack the same resources for not "planning" their healthcare better.

"Planning" can also include the decision to make the good health of all citizens a national goal, and choosing some path to achieve this, whether it's a government-run plan, or mandates and regulation of a wholly private healthcare industry. Most prosperous countries have set such a goal.
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21   #167
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,646
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

[QUOTE=Lake-Effect;2569053

This is CF, of course. Most people who have the resources to own and use a serious cruising boat will not be economically ruined by serious illness or injury. Kind of unfair to lay blame on people who lack the same resources for not "planning" their healthcare better.
[/QUOTE]

Well I disagree with this. Near as I can tell in the cruising community a serious illness or injury will be mostly ruined economically.

This why it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49   #168
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 6,671
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
... it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
I agree.
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 00:58   #169
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,520
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well I disagree with this. Near as I can tell in the cruising community a serious illness or injury will be mostly ruined economically.

This why it would be most more productive to discuss the how's of getting health coverage for the cruiser instead of the thread drifts.
I have a friend who had a heart attack from an undetected defect. The bill came to over usd$800,000. For most cruisers with decent assets this would be a cruise ending amount of debt.

I was drinking 1 dollar beers with a cruiser in El Salvador. He was in his early 50s and had crewed down on a friends boat. He had setup a boat to cruise. He had a good job but was an independent contractor, so he had no work supplied insurance. He always bought his own family insurance. His wife got cancer. After a year of treatment the insurance company said they had paid out their maximum and there would be no more coverage on his wife's cancer. This is something that occurred commonly prior to Obamacare implemented restrictions. The wife died, he had to declare bankruptcy due to the overwhelming medical bills and lost the boat.

We have medical insurance to protect our assets, not as a prepaid medical plan. Paying cash for care while traveling is not a big issue. A major accident or disease is a big deal.

Solutions for US cruisers who want to cruise as an.early retiree such as in their 50s are limited. For many an ACA exchange policy is a good choice if they qualify. With Obamacare under such assault with no alternative offered, it is really only a year ahead solution. The international medical policies tend have some very poor terms for pre-existing conditions and often unreasonable caps on payments. Basically it is tough to.get decent med insurance coverage if you are US based and cruising.
Paul L is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:19   #170
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 12,446
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I have a friend who had a heart attack from an undetected defect. The bill came to over usd$800,000. For most cruisers with decent assets this would be a cruise ending amount of debt.

I was drinking 1 dollar beers with a cruiser in El Salvador. He was in his early 50s and had crewed down on a friends boat. He had setup a boat to cruise. He had a good job but was an independent contractor, so he had no work supplied insurance. He always bought his own family insurance. His wife got cancer. After a year of treatment the insurance company said they had paid out their maximum and there would be no more coverage on his wife's cancer. This is something that occurred commonly prior to Obamacare implemented restrictions. The wife died, he had to declare bankruptcy due to the overwhelming medical bills and lost the boat.

We have medical insurance to protect our assets, not as a prepaid medical plan. Paying cash for care while traveling is not a big issue. A major accident or disease is a big deal.

Solutions for US cruisers who want to cruise as an.early retiree such as in their 50s are limited. For many an ACA exchange policy is a good choice if they qualify. With Obamacare under such assault with no alternative offered, it is really only a year ahead solution. The international medical policies tend have some very poor terms for pre-existing conditions and often unreasonable caps on payments. Basically it is tough to.get decent med insurance coverage if you are US based and cruising.
I also know people backrupted, and nearly so, by the US system. The solution is simple: get outta the USA!
belizesailor is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 17:46   #171
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgian Bay / Costa Rica
Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig
Posts: 31
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

You're absolutely correct there are no free lunches.
However when we all through tax dollars into the pot as time goes by it takes care of all and costs no one a loss of home or undue suffering.
Furthermore, the canadian medical system/care as good or better than any other country in my humble opinion.
I have paid all my life rarely using the system but as i now am getting older i know i may need it as have others.
I do not in the least regret paying extra for others all my eorking life.
Raggedglory is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:12   #172
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
I live in Canada, and here health care is FREE.
I think that the USA is the only country in the First World that does not provide free public health care to help cure people.

But you have a great military.
“Free” is relative when one considers tax rates!
forgeahead is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:22   #173
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,021
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

All I know is, if I were an American, I could not afford to live the life I’m living.
Mike OReilly is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35   #174
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: San Lucas Sacatepequez Guatemala
Posts: 378
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgeahead View Post
“Free” is relative when one considers tax rates!
Yes. The USA is the only major, first world country that does not provide free basic health care.

And the total cost of USA health care is about double of Canada, Germany or the UK with less good results most ways you look at it.

My wife and I live in Guatemala one of the poorest countries in the world. The public health care is far from perfect but almost every little town has a community health center where anyone can get care almost for free. If some one is seriously ill care (although not perfect), is available for free or almost free.

The private health care is excellent in Guatemala at a fraction of the cost of the first world. As a result very good, comprehensive, private health insurance is very inexpensive. Any kind of treatment / procedure is available except for the most complicated or newest treatments. I prefer getting treated in Guatemala. The doctors are excellent and are more like doctors in the USA 50 years ago in terms of the personal attention they provide.
Augi is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 13:25   #175
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,646
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

I'm American and 58 and my wife is 57. We pay $20.17/mo for health insurance. People such read the thread, learn the systems, take the needed actions, and stop whining.

And no I'm not going to explain it again as its already ben posted numerous times.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 13:36   #176
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,786
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

First I haven’t read through this long thread so apologies if I’m covering old ground.

We are over 65 and in good health. We have Medicare but that counts for squat as we are out of the states about 10 months a year. We made a decision to buy an international policy that would cover us outside the USA, I think we are allowed 2 months visit per year. Not sure how that is counted. Anyway once we looked at the premiums we went for the Gold plan with low deductables and high maximums. I think it’s under $3,000/year.

We are splitting our time between the Carribean and Canada.

The one time my wife had to go to a hospital for an infection, in Grenada, their was no fee at all, just the cost of the prescription.
hpeer is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 16:57   #177
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,520
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
First I haven’t read through this long thread so apologies if I’m covering old ground.

We are over 65 and in good health. We have Medicare but that counts for squat as we are out of the states about 10 months a year. We made a decision to buy an international policy that would cover us outside the USA, I think we are allowed 2 months visit per year. Not sure how that is counted. Anyway once we looked at the premiums we went for the Gold plan with low deductables and high maximums. I think it’s under $3,000/year.

We are splitting our time between the Carribean and Canada.

The one time my wife had to go to a hospital for an infection, in Grenada, their was no fee at all, just the cost of the prescription.
I don't agree with your dismissal of Medicare. It is insuring against financial ruin if you get some long term, super expensive disease. Something that might leave your partner with nothing. You don't really need insurance to pay for the occasional med costs, especially overseas where it is generally low cost. It's those 3/4 million dollar bills that are far too common that needs insuring against.
Paul L is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 17:15   #178
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 10,021
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't agree with your dismissal of Medicare. It is insuring against financial ruin if you get some long term, super expensive disease. Something that might leave your partner with nothing. You don't really need insurance to pay for the occasional med costs, especially overseas where it is generally low cost. It's those 3/4 million dollar bills that are far too common that needs insuring against.
I gotta say Paul; those 3/4 million dollar bills are only “far too common” in the USA. No where else in the developed, or even developing, world is it common to be financial destroyed by an ailment or accident. Most other functioning societies recognize that healthcare is a basic right of citizenship.
Mike OReilly is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 17:15   #179
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Between Caribbean and Canada
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 6,786
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Who is dismissing Medicare?

If we get sick and come back it’s here.

It’s NOT there if we have a problem in another country.
hpeer is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 17:20   #180
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,664
Images: 10
Re: Early retirement and health care for boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I gotta say Paul; those 3/4 million dollar bills are only “far too common” in the USA. No where else in the developed, or even developing, world is it common to be financial destroyed by an ailment or accident. Most other functioning societies recognize that healthcare is a basic right of citizenship.
I would rather have a nice boat than guaranteed health care.
Why is that not a right?
__________________
Founding member of the controversial Calypso rock band, Guns & Anchors!
Group9 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, health, health care, men, retirement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working Through Retirement - AKA Working Retirement CNC-Charters Boat Ownership & Making a Living 21 01-09-2012 19:58
How to Take Care of the Oceans Which Take Care of Us . . . SarasotaYacht Seamanship & Boat Handling 1 04-11-2011 10:31
Retirement in My Early 40s ? ZuiQuan Dollars & Cents 89 27-08-2010 04:31
US Health Care Bill and Cruising Stevens 47 Health, Safety & Related Gear 20 16-05-2010 06:11
Six Years to Early Retirement, then Live Aboard DocSailor Meets & Greets 39 11-11-2009 10:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.