Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 19:35   #1

Dream into Reality

There are a few obstacles I have to complete before liiving aboard and I must say I getting impatient. I feel like the marina's in the Seattle Washington area are not taking me seriously untill I have a boat. I figured the best course of action to get to living aboard, is first, find a Marina that will serve my needs, then buy the boat I want. If I buy a boat first, I may not have my live aboard location that I desire.

Anyone else have this experience and can give some feedback as to how I should go about this dilema? I understand it can take a few years to get a live aboard spot, and that works perfectly for my timing, but in the meantime I don't have a boat or a need to buy one till I can secure a spot.
LadyByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 20:33   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Dream into Reality

I had the same problem. Local (new) marina said they couldn't book me a spot until I had the details of the boat to fill in on the form. I went over and told them in no uncertain terms that there was no way I was buying a boat without somewhere to put it! They understood and I filled in the form with "TBA" in a lot of places. All good now.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 21:03   #3

If you know, generally, how big the boat you're going to buy will be, use the statistics from that vessel (or an average of your choice) and submit it to the marina.

Give them the info they (the bureaucrats) want and need. They probably won't ask for the boat name. If they want pictures, find an ad for a sistership.

Don't make this any harder than it needs to be.

Your logic is sound, theirs?, not so much..You're buying space from them, not engaging their daughter.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 21:31   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

In a tight environment like live aboard slips in the Seattle area, no one is going to offer you a slip for your non-existent boat or even reserve one for you. No point, there are 50 real customers chomping at the bit.

Do you have to be in the Seattle area, or can you locate further north, like Blaine. Or on the west side of the Sound. Slips are easier to come by there, although live aboard take a little finese to get.

If you get on awaiting list and your name comes up, most marinas will let you sublease the slip for a few months before you move your own boat in.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21   #5

Thanks for the tips. I'll give some of these a try and hopefully I'll have more success.
LadyByrd is offline   Reply With Quote