Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 11:18   #1

Dr.'s & remote prescriptions from Florida? (thyroid)

Hello Kind People of the Cruisers Forum World,

My husband and are in final planning stages of moving onto our boat and setting sail this fall. Exciting stuff. Unfortunately, I have a thyroid problem and need regular medication for it.

Does anyone have any leads on a private endocrinologist who will do Skype consultations? Or any Dr. that will do Skype consultations?

We will have established residency in Florida. The medication I need is not controlled, but it is compounded, so in an ideal world I would find a Dr. that I would meet in Jacksonville, and then continue under their care via skype consultations, the Dr. would then call in prescriptions to a pharmacy who would send it on to our mailing address and they would send it on to me wherever we are.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with anything like this?

Many thanks,

Beatdizzy
SV *agreeing on a name is on one of the lists...*
Beatdizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 12:03   #2

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: Dr.'s & remote prescriptions from Florida? (thyroid)

Beatdizzy: no experience, but am anxiously awaiting to see what kind of response you get to your question as we will be in the same boat in a year or so.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 22:00   #3

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Hi Beatdizzy,

I have hashi's, so I can relate. Are there any compound pharmacies in Mexico you could work with (that would surely mail to wherever you are)? I used a compound pharma in the past, so I know it is complex enough that maybe it is a no. However, I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

I know firsthand, myself and family, how excellent medical can be outside the US, as in 3%-10% of the US cash price.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 04:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Beatdizzy.

Google < telemedicine jacksonville fl >
https://www.google.ca/search?q=telem...4rf-QH2jp-QAw#

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 05:28   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
Hi Beatdizzy,

I have hashi's, so I can relate. Are there any compound pharmacies in Mexico you could work with (that would surely mail to wherever you are)? I used a compound pharma in the past, so I know it is complex enough that maybe it is a no. However, I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

I know firsthand, myself and family, how excellent medical can be outside the US, as in 3%-10% of the US cash price.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
as your visa will only be for 6 months, you may wish to hold a copy of a prescription with you and revisit your personal md when you go back to renew visa.
tourist visas are not yet renewable inside mexico, as used to be the case--one MUST exit mexico and return to renew.
most use this time to renew md visits and such.
enjoy your trip. it is lovely here in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 10:46   #6
Lynn O

Hi Beatdizzy et al.

I might have a solution or at least an idea you can tweak as needed. I am using a Dr in St Marys, Ga who also practices in JAX. I'll see him tomorrow and find out where. This is what I've worked out with him for when we head out south for several years for my thyroid stuff and also compounded bio-identicals (yeah those). He will provide me with a prescription for the blood work which I will get and have results faxed to him. He will then fax his new prescription to the Camden Pharmacy who will ship anywhere in the world. One thing I don't know is whether there are import complications and fees added.

I don't think you will have any real problems. Another piece of trivia: when we are going N and S in the ditch and a 90 day supply of my Armour Thyroid is getting gone I bounce back and forth between CVS and Riteaid whichever is the easier walk from the waterway. Wish I had thought of it the first year
Old 25-02-2016, 11:01   #7

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I'm a physician, have an underactive thyroid. When I went away for a year, I just took a year and a half's supply of pills. Its dirt cheap and if you are reasonably stable you don't need to worry about endocrinologists and tests. Any physician up here would do this for you without a second thought. Keep the pills in a reasonably cool dark place
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:14   #8
Lynn O

Good point, Peter. The carrier cream for the bio-identicals only remains OK for 6 mo altho the active ingredients last longer so I leave with a 6 mo supply. Medicare was pissy about 90 days on the Amour Thyroid at first buy they are covering it now after my Dr backed me up
Old 25-02-2016, 17:26   #9

Hello Sailors!

Thank you for all of your lovely responses! I did find a guy here in NYC but he is private and the first consultation is $700 and then it would $400 a pop for a skype call!! Not sustainable.

Lynn especially - thank you so much for all of this great information, it really is helpful. Please do send me your Dr's info in JAX, I have private messaged you too. Faxing bloods to a Dr. would be the perfect set up. Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn O View Post
Another piece of trivia: when we are going N and S in the ditch and a 90 day supply of my Armour Thyroid is getting gone I bounce back and forth between CVS and Riteaid whichever is the easier walk from the waterway. Wish I had thought of it the first year
Not sure I understand, (bear with me I am a Brit attempting to navigate American health care). Do you mean that you get two 90 day prescriptions filled at the same time at different pharmacies? If that is possible that is brilliant.

Peter, I will definitely try to take as much as possible with me, but as we will be gone for several years I would prefer to be under someone's care, and, hopefully, this someone will take insurance. It is one of the reasons I am looking now, as this will probably influence the kind of insurance we end up getting long term.

Cherise, we will be picking up the boat in Argentina in the fall and then making our way north to the Carribean, so although Mexico might not be an option in the beginning, looking into pharmacy policies in countries on the way is a really good call.

One other thing: does anyone have experience with the sending and receiving of medication internationally?

Beatdizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:21   #10

Boat: Hartog 40

Went to see the Dr in St Marys yesterday. If you will private message me I'll give you my phone and email
Lynn Odendahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Doctor, florida, prescriptions, Skype