Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 09:08   #1

Down and Dirty Sailing

My plan is to liveaboard, and I've been through overhauling a 22' Chrysler sailboat already (aka ~ I'm realistic). I've shopped for a bigger sailboat with a bent to educate myself for the last (5) years, so when the time comes, I'll be ready...

For what my life has been, if I purchase a nice boat ($100,000 to $150,000) (outright). I'm very nervous about my ability to live on a restricted income ($22 - $24,000 yearly) with (perhaps) no ability to pick up another job (until Social Security @ 62... (55 y/o now, projected to buy boat at 58).

I want a bare-bone bottom-line number from experienced liveaboards, of what they think will take to make it.... bottom of the barrel, as little as possible.

Any good ideas out there? I'm good at my job, but I hate my boss, and he hates me... lnow what I mean???

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:26   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Down and Dirty Sailing

After some break in period, if one is willing to have a simple life, on the EU coasts (EU S coasts ...) one can have it for about 400 freedom tokens a month. About 5k a year. The boat is then under 30 feet.

The above figure does not include periodic boat maintenance - boatyard work, bottom paint, a new sail now and then, an engine part now and then. It does not include restaurants, bars, cold ones nor flight tickets.

Just living at anchor, some time in a marina maybe, onboard cooking from supermarket supplies, DIY and BYO ;-)

So I think about 5k is close to the bottom limit for a smart, minimalist and happy one. PLS note this has nothing to do with sailing (which tends to cost more) or cruising (which may/will cost much more).

There is no upper limit though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 20:36   #3

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48
Re: Down and Dirty Sailing

But always maintain a buffer for emergencies.
For urgent boat repairs, health issues etc...
It's fine and can even be fun to live on a budget, as long as it's not combined with a lack of emergency funds!
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing