Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 16:27   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
You might as well ask what is the best suit to buy, or woman to marry! I've seen outhouses bigger than the Unabomber's last abode, and people have crossed oceans in rowboats. Get what fits today, and sail it until you have mastered it in a variety of weather, and docked it in a variety of places! Nobody buys their last boat first!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 16:32   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Personally: If I were single handing, 33-36' would probably be as much as I could handle. As a couple, where both parties are competent, we curretnly have 40' and are happy to handle that 2-up. If we had the money and could find the right boat, we would probably, ideally, have 42-45' but probably no bigger.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 16:47   #18

I, an avid singlehanded sailor, recently moved from a small 36 to a small 50. Nearly the same displacement: 14T to 18T. The 50 is only slightly harder to handle as it a long walk from end to end and the sails are twice as heavy. But the mast, boom and furler hold the sails, ya know, so no lifting. The longer waterline and space inside is well worth the little extra cranking and pulling.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:37   #19

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Daddle, Does your 50' boat have any electric winches, or a bow thruster?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:43   #20

Weyalan: Electric anchor windlass. No rigging winches. Some hydraulics. No bow thruster. Just 55 year old muscles.

My bow thrusters are all the concerned boat owners in the marina, seeing me singlehanded, who run around to help me while saving their own gelcoat.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:47   #21

Boat: private yacht always moving
If you know how to sail and how to drive a boat a bow thruster on a 50 boat is a waste of money and gives you another hole in the hull
spring lines along with bow and stern lines are all you need
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 18:14   #22

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don, will it look something like this one?

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
I hope so. But I'm still open to almost anything. Haven't decided on a Hunter yet, and I have only viewed them on line (It's a long way to the ocean from here). But they do look nice anyway. I have found some nay sayers on this and other forums. But no matter which boat you mention, if it doesn't start at $75,000 (20 years old) according to some, it will barley float. So I have to find people I trust. Hay, would you solo around the world in the Spray? (It was a home built)

Aside: BOW THRUSTERS! Why not wing stabilisers, and a bigger motor and get rid of that big pole sticking out of the roof.
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 18:38   #23

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
My bow thrusters are all the concerned boat owners in the marina, seeing me singlehanded, who run around to help me while saving their own gelcoat.
You're a funny man, Daddle...
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 20:17   #24

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The size of boat that I am comfortable with has changed over time. I maxed out at a 39 foot catamaran, but I would be comfortable with a 42 foot monohull. If I was singlehanding, I would probably select a monohull of 32 to 35 feet. If I was in a multihull, I would stick with my Privilege 39.

I could handle larger yachts, but it would be too much work to suit me. I don't want to work that hard to sail it and maintain it.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 20:24   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I could handle larger yachts, but it would be too much work to suit me. I don't want to work that hard to sail it and maintain it.
How about just extra waterline?

Surely a few feet on each end of maxingout, keeping the same accom. and gear would benefit without really adding any extra (apart from a few m2 of antifoul) maintenance.
Old 21-07-2010, 20:36   #26

I went from (short term) living aboard a Coronado 25 to a custom 42' steel sloop. Initially I had not intended that big of a jump but circumstances played into my favor and I ended up with her.......having done so I am happy that I went this big. It's one thing to be cruising in warm climates on a smaller boat, but living in a cooler place, working and still living a relatively " normal " life requires some storage (for necessities and toys) and comfort. I sail solo more than I sail with crew (San Francisco Bay) and if the boat is well designed and well rigged it is no problem. You just need a little more forethought than you would with a smaller boat. Also, while it is true that in general bigger=more expensive, cost is more a factor of how the boat is equipped. I prefer ultimate simplicity (for living aboard and cruising) - focus on the rig, engine, hull/structure and forget about all the fancy, expensive toys - you don't need them.......and that's where the $ start to pile up.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 21:24   #27

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch
Go rent what you think you want. Write down the pros and cons and either hone in on it or move on to something which lessens your con list. Above all consider HOW and WHERE you will use her. This determines the optimum size and design.
JUst a thought
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 21:55   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibiruwayne View Post
Go rent what you think you want.

Where can I rent my one off 50 ft low powered powercat from?

Where could you rent a sundeer 64?
Old 22-07-2010, 06:03   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I have found some nay sayers on this and other forums. But no matter which boat you mention, if it doesn't start at $75,000 (20 years old) according to some, it will barley float
Oops, you mean I spent all my money on something that should only be used on a lake but we are doing a 135 mile channel crossing next week to France

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:32   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
If you know how to sail and how to drive a boat a bow thruster on a 50 boat is a waste of money and gives you another hole in the hull spring lines along with bow and stern lines are all you need
Sure, as long as you don't have to maneuver in really tight places, or where there are strong currents, or strong winds blowing you onto or off of pontoons.

I would never be without a bow thruster again, having experienced it, on any size boat. Ours is a 54 and I simply couldn't dock it without the thruster. We have to do a lot of springing off and springing on, even with the thruster -- we sail in an area with vicious tidal currents, very tight berthing and hence tight maneuvering, lots of rafting up, etc.

If that means someone thinks I can't drive a boat, then so be it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote