Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 12:30   #1

Does any do this?

Hello everyone.
I live in Cleveland Ohio. Does anyone know or have heard of someone living aboard all year around on Lake Erie? Is it even possible? That’s.
Shanty Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:00   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Does any do this?

There was a guy a few years back that was fixing up a boat to leave and was doing YouTube videos and he did it in Huron ( not sure where) harbor north maybe? The main issue is the actual marinas are all closed - electric/water/pump out are off and the places are closed down( so even getting in the buildings to use the facilities would be impossible) .
Would it be possible? Sure, except for that ! I grew up in Toronto and people do it there, but there is places that are setup for it , and I haven't seen that in Lake Erie. Of course the freezing happens easier in the smaller lake , so that could also be an issue - I have seen years where docks are ripped off the finger by the ice - you might have a bubbler , but if the other dock smashes into you , that's really not helping!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:03   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Btw , shanty , welcome ! We are in Lorain ( well the boat is ) and we live on the east side, if you need any more info on places , etc let me know!
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shanty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 13:13   #5

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Anything (almost) is POSSIBLE...

I know people who liveaboard year round in Boston, and there used to be a liveaboard community in Chicago, whose current status I couldn't tell you. Winter is not easy...

If the marinas are not setup for keeping boats in the water through ice season, it becomes really, REALLY hard...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 10:18   #6

Shanty,
We know a couple who lives aboard in Harbor North Marina in Huron, Ohio and I knew of a boat at Sandusky Harbor that was being stored in the water over the winter, but I'm not sure if they lived aboard. Both boats had bubblers but I don't know about the pumpout situation.

Jack
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 10:28   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

There are three spots in Toronto with several dozen liveaboards. The problem as someone said is the need for shore infrastructure, showers, pumpouts, power, and water supply. After that you only need to build a shelter over the boat and bubbling system. I would be surprised if there are no liveaboard communities on Erie.
Old 20-04-2020, 12:21   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Your best bet would be to find a spot on one of the rivers leading into the lake. The problem will be to access parking, water and electricity which has already been stated. Doubt if you find any marinas that would allow you access during the winter. Private dock might be your best bet. Spring thaw will be exciting.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 17:12   #9

Boat: Pearson 323

I just chatted with a guy(from a socially acceptable distance) in our marina who wintered on his boat using bubblers and an electric heater. We're at Meinke Marina near Maumee Bay.
T_schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote