Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 12:27   #31

Re: Dock & Mooring Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Might want to use the ACTUAL government of the bahamas web page
doesn't match the prices you have listed there

Please note: This is from the official page. Same prices as what I listed above.

Related Fee(s)
The fee associated with receiving a Temporary Cruising Permit is –
  • Pleasure Vessels Not Exceeding 34 feet:
    • $150.00 (3 months)
    • $300.00 (12 months)
  • Pleasure Vessels Not Exceeding 34 feet but less than 100 feet:
    • $300.00 (3 months)
    • $600.00 (12 months)
https://www.bahamascustoms.gov.bs/vi...ising-permits/
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 13:34   #32

Christine47 - The Nordhavn 47 is my all time dream boat. If I had one I would think I had died and gone to heaven. Also if I Could afford one I don’t think I would give much thought to slip fees. You are my hero. In the mean time, my wallet says moderate sailboat with adequate headroom and affordable live aboard budget.

If you ever need a mate let me know.
Dfitchtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 14:15   #33

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Needless to say I am confused by all of the responses. My experience is an average $2 - $3 per foot per day for less than a week. Further a discount is applies to this rate based upon the length of stay for weekly, monthly, semi-annual and annual rates.

Some marinas have exorbitant rates for holiday seasons $6 - $10 per foot per night with some minimum number of days. Atlantis in Nassau is one example.

A gotcha at a number of marinas out of country is the cost of electricity and water. Port Louis Marina in Grenada is an example where electricity was about $30 per day (based on kwh used) and water about $10 per day (based on gals used). Add this to a daily long term dockage rate of $75 per day and you have a monthly expense of almost $3,500 per month, albeit was for a 64’ motor yacht. Nevertheless, damn expensive.

There were a few situations where we paid a premium for Ts and even super yacht docks (Rodney Bay Marina), but these were few and far between notwithstanding our 20’ beam. In some cases we even got discounts (Christophe Harbor Marina, St. Kitts at $2.25 pet foot per night for 3 nights.

I always call ahead and try and negotiate rates. We will even pay a very reduced monthly rate even if we only stay 2 or 3 weeks if it ends up cheaper than a cumulative weekly rate.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:01   #34

Boat: GibSea 472

Now in many marina/ports, the price is based on the surface occupancy : that is the length times the max beam . So it seams fair to pay for the actual 'footprint' of the boat. I have seen this in France and Italy.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 13:45   #35

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Bigger the boat, the bigger and deeper the pilings. Plus now the big guy wants 50A instead of 30A service. Have you priced copper wire and electrical panels lately. And finally, drum roll, Supply and Demand. I can get a real deal on slip on the Ohio River compared to what I had to pay in St Maarten
flyingfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:20   #36

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

It is not uncommon for monthly slips, but it is rare for overnight transient dockage. Typically you rent linear footage on a face dock at the same rate per foot for everyone. However I have seen bigger boats being charged more per foot. The most egregious was in Washington DC where under 70’ loa was $3 per ft and over was $6 per ft!
Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 16:21   #37

I appreciate all the responses. I thought I was asking a rather mundane question. It seems that that is not the case at all. The answers are all over the field. I know no more now than when I posted the question.
Old 12-03-2020, 17:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfitchtx View Post
I appreciate all the responses. I thought I was asking a rather mundane question. It seems that that is not the case at all. The answers are all over the field. I know no more now than when I posted the question.

Let's simplify it.

It's usually not dramatic, but bigger boats cost more money, and the purchase price is just the entry cost. It's not linear by foot - sometimes it's more related to volume, and related to maintenance as well as storage costs.

The bigger the boat, the more they'll see you coming.

Old 12-03-2020, 17:56   #39

No I understand that bigger boat pays more. My question, and apparently I did not word it correctly, has to do with whether or not there is a common "break point" where fees escalate. Again, as an example, under 36' is one fee per foot and over 36' the fee doubles per foot. And if so, what is that common break point. I don't want to buy a boat one or more feet over the break point if a smaller boat will suffice.
Old 12-03-2020, 18:15   #40

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

The real question is why are you worried about this......
Bigger boat, more expense. Little boat, almost the same expense....
Might as well have the bigger boat.

Well except for the entry fee.....
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 21:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfitchtx View Post
No I understand that bigger boat pays more. My question, and apparently I did not word it correctly, has to do with whether or not there is a common "break point" where fees escalate. Again, as an example, under 36' is one fee per foot and over 36' the fee doubles per foot. And if so, what is that common break point. I don't want to buy a boat one or more feet over the break point if a smaller boat will suffice.
You asked it correctly - we get what you mean.

Just get the boat you like. There are such points at some places, but unless you know the precise place you're looking to keep it, it's not like there's a universal rule.

Tags
dock, fees, mooring