Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 09:17   #16

Boat: Dufour 40
Re: Do you utilize a Hanging Locker?

No.
I hang recalcitrant crew from the yardarm as per regulations.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 10:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
Hi Cruisers and Liveaboards:

Do you use your hanging locker or would you allocate that space differently?
We are designing and refitting our aft cabin and I am curious if anyone uses the hanging bar or if have converted it or use it for a different form of stowage.

Do you love your locker?! Sharing a picture and design ideas would be awesome! Thanks much in advance
On a sailing yacht anything hung is subject to chafe

Solve this issue in your locker with bars or straps
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 12:32   #18

Boat: Freedom 32'

I have hanging compartment thing. 4 big compartments, takes up 1/2 the locker and then I hang special stuff next to it. It's next to the v-berth. I only use 100% cotton clothing and I roll all tops so I can fit about 10 of them in a compartment. Sheets and pillow cases in the bottom one and shorts and pants in the other 2 compartments. I have another locker if the aft cabin I use for all my pots and pans, plastic containers, baking pans, dishes etc. And another locker in the head for foulies. Have large dehumidifier so no moldy or smelly clothes.
Old 27-06-2020, 13:35   #19

Boat: Catalina 320

By swapping an eye nut for a domed cap nut in the ceiling of the head, I have a place to hang dripping wet foulies. Keeps them out of the hanging locker.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 13:52   #20

Boat: csy 37

we had two hanging lockers. .kept one and put wire rack shelves in the other. after the first year we had wire rack shelves in both.

the only thing we really hung were foulies and they had their place in a hangling locker at the companionway.

wire rack shelves, along with vents in the locker doors, help keep things airy and dry.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:15   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A little off topic, but one boat we looked at had a small hanging locker for wet foulies, with a drain, and they ran a truck heater off the engine that would dry them in there, if you hade the engine running.

We made a clear pvc pair of flaps that zips into the aft end of the dodger, to stay dry when sailing downwind in the rain, and we hang them outside to drain, then finish them below, if they have to be dry. We have a Dickinson copy heater, a "FabAll" that we use to keep warm below.

Ann
Old 27-06-2020, 16:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Got rid of my holding tank and installed a C-Head to reclaim the hanging locker. PO installed holding tank and wiped out the only hanging locker on my S-28. The foulies hanging in the main cabin from the grab rail got old real quick. You have to have someplace to store your foulies whether wet or dry. Hanging from the ceiling in the head is fine till you need to use it. Of course using the second head as storage for wet foulies makes for a more sensible use of the space.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 19:59   #23

Boat: Colegate 26

My wife thinks that folding clothing is a form of torture and hangs everything. On our liveaboard catamaran her hanging locker is twice the size of mine, and full.

The good thing about hanging is that everything is more easily accessible. Folding puts things into stacks and makes the majority of your items more difficult to access.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 20:47   #24

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Awesome! Do you guys find that the stuff stays put pretty well just hanging on a bar?
Originally, when we first moved aboard, we both worked in the city and needed work clothes. We installed a 6' long bar over the starboard side of our wide after berth. Yes, we had to crawl on the bed to get to it, but we needed it.One funny thing we found was that the metal hangers affected the compass on deck over them.

When we converted the boat to an ocean cruiser we converted that space to large bins, 9 of them, for storage, and made a smaller, 3' hanging locker in the bow area across from the workshop.

This was big enough, barely, for our shirts and slacks, a couple of suits, and our foulies. Behind was a bin for bags and empty backpacks, and below that, behind, a bin for boots, etc, and just above the floor level, a shelf for the divebag and some lines. The hanging locker had double, no triple, duty. (it also had no door, so no mildew.

We've continued to use this space in that manner for 25 years. It has worked well. I have gone back to work a few times and I can just go to the closet (hanging locker) and pull out a suit and white shirt, plus tie, and I'm good to go. Oh, sometimes we get invited to a wedding. Same thing, we're ready for all occasions. We go through it every couple of years and send everything to the cleaners, otherwise it just hangs there through calm and storm, thick and thin, racing or cruising or just living aboard.

You see, though we live most of our days in shorts and t-shirts, there are still times to be presentable. A good hanging locker give you that option.
Old 28-06-2020, 19:19   #25

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
No.
I hang recalcitrant crew from the yardarm as per regulations.

Of course, but per regulations you are required - as captain, prosecutor and jury - to give the guilty SOB a "fair trial" first!
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:42   #26

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

You'll need some of these as well!
https://www.amazon.com/Jetdio-Stainl...3704368&sr=8-5

edit: I have no affiliation!
Old 02-07-2020, 13:13   #27

Quote:

We are designing and refitting our aft cabin and I am curious if anyone uses the hanging bar or if have converted it or use it for a different form of stowage.

Do you love your locker?! Sharing a picture and design ideas would be awesome! Thanks much in advance

I use my hanging locker as intended, for clothes/jackets on hangars. It has shelves outboard of the hanging area I use for storage and room on the bottom under the clothes for storage. I would miss it if it were gone.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 19:55   #28

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

We cruise, and when we do, usually not enough hanging space.
Mickeyrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 20:58   #29

Of the three alleged hanging lockers on the boat, identified as such by the presence of the hanger bar, only one is remotely usable as such. The other two, are really too shallow to be usable as hanging lockers and are used as cleaning/head supplies storage and tools/spray cans/misc stuff storage respectively. Wet foulies just go to the head to be hanged on the hand holds.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:30   #30

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Absolutely! I have three full height hanging lockers and I use them all:
- Aft/master cabin for anything I would hang like at home
- Midship locker (closer to companionway) for coats, wet suite, weather gear">foul weather gear you want these to be hanged.
- front cabin for guests as well as for the long parts of the emergency tiller.

You really want your clothing be hanged as much as possible, keep the air flow around etc.

Quote: