Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 08:26   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1
Do you tip divers?

Okay- I've got a quick but odd question. Do you tip divers when they come out to clean your boat. I've got two guys underneath my boat right now scrubbing away, and I'm not sure if I should be throwing them some extra money. I normally would have thought no they charge plenty- but it turns out neither of these guys are the owner of the business. Should I throw them a little extra something?

Then again, I suppose if I was powerwashing in a yard I wouldn't tip the guy....
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 08:35   #2

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Do you tip divers?

I think in this case it's discretionary. If you think they did a good job, then toss them a few extra bucks for their own pockets. If you use them again, they'll remember and may provide the best level of service you can get.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:44   #3

If they are not the owner of the business, I would probably tip them if they did a good job. As you appear to understand (though many do not) protocol is that you NEVER tip the owner of the business.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 23:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk1

Thanks guys- I did decide to go ahead and tip them. No idea if they did a good job- really no way for me to tell! But I sure could hear them scrubbing away down there. And it was a nasty day for it too- so I figured why not throw them a little extra. There isn't a lot of competition in this neck of the wood, so I'm sure I'll use their company again, and maybe that means they'll give me even better for service.

As a rule I don't usually tip the owner of the business. The way I see it, he keeps all the money after expenses and he sets the rates. Every now and then of course someone will go way above and beyond and it seems worth paying them extra- but most of the time I think it is unnecessary and maybe inappropriate to tip a business owner. Employees are a different story. I'm just always curious what etiquette is. I always tip my waiters generously. And I often tip the barista. I even (although very begrudgingly) tip the gas station attendants in New Jersey- where they require you to buy full service gas.
ThreadenSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:36   #5

Boat: Boatless

I say yes, especially if you will be using them in the future. (and good call that you did)

Those trades are thankless and a little love goes a long way.

Side story on tipping. When we lived in NZ tipping is/was not an accepted practice and the service at most restaurants showed it. In our neighborhood were a few restaurants we frequented regularly. Early on we made sure to tip generously and to be on a first name basis with a few of the servers. Not to sound like the ugly American but I've got to say, they appreciated the acknowledgement and the service went through the roof.

Human nature is human nature.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:11   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I do not tip divers any more than I would tip a mechanic or rigger. If he does a good job you call him the next time and maybe recommend him to a neighbor. If not you don't. Waiters, delivery drivers, fishing mates are largely working for tips. Most service trades are not.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:14   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadenSails View Post
Okay- I've got a quick but odd question. Do you tip divers when they come out to clean your boat. I've got two guys underneath my boat right now scrubbing away, and I'm not sure if I should be throwing them some extra money. I normally would have thought no they charge plenty- but it turns out neither of these guys are the owner of the business. Should I throw them a little extra something?

Then again, I suppose if I was powerwashing in a yard I wouldn't tip the guy....
JMHO! If they are not the owners a couple of bucks wouldn't hurt.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:34   #8

I have a slightly different philosophy. If I think the guys have done a good job and are cheerful I give them a case or two of beer or some wine. It shows a little effort on my part to say thanks. I don't care if the man is just doing his job, it may be a boring miserable job regarded by many as virtually worthless, so why not give the man a little boost to his self esteem by saying thank you for your efforts. It's good for him and good for you when you see his face light up. As an ex Pro diver I can tell you being underwater for hours working can be a miserable lonely job and not always that well paid
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:38   #9

I forgot to say, if you can't afford a tip you can always get in the water and do the work yourself and get a real understanding of the job.
Old 22-04-2017, 09:59   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Treat them right an maybe moonlight.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 10:03   #11

Just toss a few quarters in the water. Make 'em work for it.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 10:19   #12

Tipping in the US is getting ridiculous. If they don't like their job or are not getting paid enough then they should find another job.
Old 22-04-2017, 10:28   #13

Achil, sad reflexion on US attitudes. Unless I am mistaken and Donald is misinforming the world there is a recession on. I don't think you go down the road to the Gov. employment people and tell them you want a different job and expect to come out with one.
Old 22-04-2017, 10:36   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

How often are boat owners present when divers are present?
Old 22-04-2017, 10:51   #15

Boat: Pearson
Thumbs up Re: Do you tip divers?

yes, for a good job, of course you may have to get wet to check the job