Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2018, 06:43   #76

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
I slave away as a poorly paid free-lance writer, mow grass at my house inland, and get away on my little aging sailboat whenever I can.

You're a freelance writer, yet you have a house? With a lawn? And this is the first time I've ever heard of a 34' boat being called "little". It's all relative, I guess.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:23   #77

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I find some of JB's stuff entertaining in small doses and I've enjoyed several of the books he's written too, but if you're looking for a truer insight into the Cruisers lifestyle through music, then search out Eileen Quinn's music instead
+1. I feel that Jimmy Buffet's music is about the fantasy, but that Eileen Quinn's is about the reality.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:53   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
JB climbed into bed with the liberals..

Buffett to host fundraiser for Hillary Clinton – BuffettNews.com

It is a shame that people with a national, or international, stage feel compelled to use that stage to promote their political views.

I so wish he hadn't brought politics into his circle of limelight..
Thanks, I had no idea.
Old 16-08-2018, 08:24   #79

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We believe in living our own lives , charting our own courses, and sometimes music could have a hand in that.

We are now both retired, and continue to live in beach cities, and enjoy the beach city, and sailing lifestyles . To that, we haved hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, SCUBA DIVING, land driving vacations, and also some other international eco tours.

We did not live on board, but I sailed professionally for 30 some years and now still do international bare boat chartering, or were members of a sailing club for local waters.

We have owned sailing vessels, and chose not to do that at this time in our lives.

As to Jimmy Buffett, we absolutely still enjoy his old songs, and once we are at anchor, on a mooring, or in a slip, Jimmy, Eric Stone, and Caribbean or South Pacific, or Aussie, or Hawaiian music will accompany a glass of Rum, or a cold beer.

We have run into people who call themselves Parrot heads when we would go to Jimmy Buffett concerts here in Orange County, Ca. It was obvious from their tall hats, haole white skin, and demeaner that they never sailed a day in their lives and never cruised the caribbean islands that are in his songs.

That is not bad, but dreaming your life away is quite different than actually living those dreams .

We all choose to do that in our own way . That is cool.

However, I do believe that music can have an impact in some way on those dreams and possibly the paths in life that we have elected to follow.

Long ago, about 1956 or so, there was a fellow named Harry Belefonte. I was 16 /17 and absolutely loved his caribbean music. I said some day I am going to visit those islands. .

Jimmy Buffet also had the same impact on me, but I was sailing at that time and working as a sailing instructor for a sailing club in Newport Beach, Ca.

My first real long awaited Caribbean adventure was skippering a sailing vessel in the BVI, about 35 yrs ago. And then the Windwards and Grenadines, The French West Indies, and The Bahamas.

Our next BVI trip # 17, will be in May 2019 . These old bones will be 79, and it may be the last of our sailing . Never can tell, I said the same thing back in 2017, and once there, pre - Irma, we both said, WE WILL BE BACK.

Another, not sailing related but similar tale was a marvelous movie
DONOVANS REEF, with John Wayne. Set in the south pacific. Donovans reef was a bar that was central to the film. Back in the 1960's, sitting in the audience, for whatever reason, I shouted out , SOME DAY I AM GOING TO DRINK IN THAT BAR. " Snicker, snicker, laugh at that idiot " was the reaction from the others seating around me.

Well, several decades later, 2006 when we moved over to Kauai island, Hawaii, for ten years, turns out that bar was across the road from where we lived in Lihue, and is now called the Nawilwi Tavern, next to the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach. We just called it the Tavern, good drinks, good fun, and non resort prices. Same old ambiance as the movie.

So, music and songs can sometimes have a fun impact on our lives if we chose to listen and actually do something about it. Could be very small or very large, or even coincidental. Enjoy it.

Currently, we are still living in a beach community, Dana Point, Ca. and a five minute walk to the beach, and a 5 mintue drive to our beautiful harbor and marina.

The uniform of the day, remains board shorts and a tank top or for super dress up on saturday date night, nice pants, and a quality aloha shirt.

There is narry a suit , tie, dress pants, blazer, or dress shirt, or fancy shoes in my closet.

And not going to be.

Point being, again, don't dream you life, live your dream.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:37   #80

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I'll bet an icy cold and delicious Margaritaville® margarita that if JB had shown up on a different political stage, with a red MAGA hat, you wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Ahhh, I knew someone would be unable to ascertain that my post was non-partisan. I didn't say what party I support and you don't know what party I support.

I was simply saying I wished he hadn't gone so public with it. I also didn't say it was his songs. It was going public supporting a party, either mine or the other guys, that I wished he hadn't done. But hey, everyone in Hollywood does it as well, and yes, both parties are publicly supported.

To be fair, I wasn't taking a stand, I was answering another posters request for someone to elaborate on why they no longer shared his views.. I will admit that this may not be the answer but it might well be.
Old 16-08-2018, 11:56   #81
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
You're a freelance writer, yet you have a house? With a lawn? And this is the first time I've ever heard of a 34' boat being called "little". It's all relative, I guess.
A Sandpiper is 17 feet or so...it's little. And cute. Drop keel. And trailerable behind a minivan. And they sail OK.

Had one of these when we were between bigger boats. We did a lot more sailing, then!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:01   #82
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

As for the Jimmy Buffet fans, we bought our present boat from someone who had Parrot Head stickers all over the interior hull liner and inside the only decorative fixture was a Corona beer-bottle opener.

Needless to say, maintenance wasn't exactly part of the lifestyle of our DPO. When we got rid of the parquet flooring we had an extra half inch of headroom!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 12:06   #83

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Quote:
Heheh ... Well, you know, boats are growing smaller, or we're growing bigger, or something. Midsize cruisers now start at 37', I'm told. Anything under that is therefore, by process of elimination, "small."

As for the house, I'm keeping it until the aging mother of my late wife, who lives a few blocks away, no longer needs someone in the family nearby to help her along at this stage. After that I'm off to see the Wizard.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 13:04   #84

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Can you expound on this?
Saleen, I, on purpose, decided not to go into greater detail as I believe to do so would be inapproiate on this forum. Our decision was, and is, based on our political views and our personal life style and values.
Old 16-08-2018, 13:20   #85
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Well I think any human is free to use whatever platform they have available to espouse their political beliefs, no matter how reprehensible.

Whether people let themselves be influenced based on noting but celebrity is up to them.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 13:43   #86

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If their platform is a political TV show or a soap box in Pershing Square, then OK, but if it's not in any way to the reason they have an audience, be it music, NFL, acting ability, or comedic skill, or "news reporter" then NO!!! They have no more right to a free public stage thanI do!
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 14:19   #87

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Well I think any human is free to use whatever platform they have available to espouse their political beliefs, no matter how reprehensible.

Whether people let themselves be influenced based on noting but celebrity is up to them.
No, they shouldnt "use whatever platform they have available". It no different than if a long standing member of CF starts preaching their religious views. This isnt a religion forum, so those things are a distraction and tend to poison all future posts and interaction with that member. Any message should be related to the audience.

Look at the example of the Dixie Chicks singers. Perfect case of NOT knowing your core audience and inappropriate use of "whatever platform they had available".

I agree with others here in that performers and athletes should stick to what they are being paid for and what people expect from them. Far too many have the idea that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience. I don't really see Jimmy Buffett as being in the group. He's kind of walked the line a few times but in true JB fashion, let and let live.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 14:41   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Ahhh, I knew someone would be unable to ascertain that my post was non-partisan. I didn't say what party I support and you don't know what party I support.

To be fair, I wasn't taking a stand, I was answering another posters request for someone to elaborate on why they no longer shared his views.. I will admit that this may not be the answer but it might well be.
Well, you did say
Quote:
JB climbed into bed with the liberals..
...That's kind of a tell. Especially when the US is about the only country that would consider HRC a 'liberal'. Anyway, if you say your response was meant to be non-partisan, I will take you at your word.
Old 16-08-2018, 14:45   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
A Sandpiper is 17 feet or so...it's little. And cute. Drop keel. And trailerable behind a minivan. And they sail OK.

Had one of these when we were between bigger boats. We did a lot more sailing, then!

Who you callin 17' ?? Our boat is all of 18' 6"! Hmmph. But boy we are sailing the bottom off of her. Ours came from Belleville, btw, about 11 years ago.
Old 16-08-2018, 14:50   #90

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I just don't see the problem with JB supporting a mainstream candidate on his own time with a free performance - it has nothing to do with the consumers of his music, and we should all respect each other's right to differing views. I would make exceptions for those who use their economic position to impose their will (e.g. an employer who imposes his religious views on employees) and extremists like neo-Nazis and white-supremacists (or Antifa for that matter) but getting riled about JB's personal support is just more about dividing Americans. Please rethink.

On another note: today is National Rum Day, so I think most of you will know how to celebrate it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote