Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 16:18   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

@a64pilot: Then push your state for a death-with-dignity law. No need to scatter your brains and blood all over for some poor soul to clean up. If the day ever comes for you, and I certainly hope it doesn't, then come to Oregon - a very civilized place.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:18   #62

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

I try to live a Jimmy Buffet lifestyle but somehow end up living the Capt Ron lifestyle instead...
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 16:22   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’d even say I admire to some extent how Hemingway went.
I wouldn’t pick such a violent way myself, but I think it takes a brave person to decide when they have had enough and decide to leave if you will.
I don’t see any need in going through the whole rot to death in bed, making a mess on yourself, pain, loss of dignity etc.
The things we make people go through sometimes isn’t civilized. We wouldn’t do that to a dog, yet we do to people.

With him it almost seemed to be a family tradition, I think his Father, Brother and Sister did the same?

Plus I think he was ill, exactly how bad etc., I have no idea.

Just think about this for a second, just say for example I am diagnosed with Cancer, I fight it, but as often happens the Cancer eventually gets to the point to where there is no hope, I will continue to degrade, in pain and suffer, going through whatever savings I have and planned on to support my family with, I will feel shame and my loved ones will witness me going though something terrible and it will adversely affect them for life.

Or while I am still in charge of my physical abilities, I can make sure my affairs are in order and quietly slip away.

Which is more civilized?
I happen to agree with you completely HOWEVER.....

"What would Jimmy Buffet do?" 2:15

Old 15-08-2018, 16:23   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

The Jimmy Buffet thing was more 70's - 90's

Pirates Cove has been duplicated so many times that today it's just another theme bar.

Many today wouldn't even know what half his song were about. Luckily for me though I got to sail on the Gulf Coast in the 1990's

Pirates Cove is on the ICW sort of secluded where there isn't much going on

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 18:43   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
But alas, I never bothered googling it. Cause I don't really care. Though find it interesting it was actually not a good cheeseburger.

Buffett said of this song: "The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind.

We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and piña coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World.

Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."
...and to finish that story...ulitmately Cheese Burger in Paradise was commercialized:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chee...se_(restaurant)

....and Buffet was ultimaty bought out.

Not bad ROI for a song about a burger.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 19:33   #66

Boat: Looking...

1977-78 Jimmy’s best stuff coming out. Huge cruise monsters not even an ugly gleam in the big boys’ eyes. Cruising the Caribbean in those days truly was paradise. I was just out of college, my brother Tom and I were living the dream. Solomon’s Island MD to the Grenadines and back again. Pardon me for sounding like a curmudgeon, but the best things that Jimmy sings about are long gone. Except on some places whose names shall not be mentioned where too many will learn of them.

“They called it paradise, the place to be...”
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 19:48   #67

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ding, ding, ding...thats the most widely circulated one...but wait a minute...Buffet himself also tells several versions of this story involving different places...more semi true stories? 🤣
All of his stories are "semi true". Just varies on the amount "semi" or the amount of "true" in any particular one.

Also, for those that like to espouse their hatred for all things JB, you must live a very sheltered life and one without passion or dreams.

True story - Jimmy helped me make it through combat with my sanity (or most of it anyway). I actually discovered his music a few months before my first deployment. By the time I left for the sandbox I had bought every album I could find and pirated a hundred more from the internet. When my small group was split up I made the conscious choice to take the most violent and dangerous post so that others wouldnt have to. I listened to Jimmy's music almost endlessly in my down time. It was my escape from the hell. A mental vacation to caribbean shores and crystal blue seas I loved so much.

So I take a small amount of offense at your slights and stereotypes toward parrot-heads, but not really enough to care. Your opinions are of no importance to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty room.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	175560
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 01:04   #68

Boat: Coast 30

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/a...lifestyle.html
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 01:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
THAT was really well written.

I esp like the part about Canadians without a tan. You wanna be a beach bar singer?...GET A TAN!!!! Canadians don't know about tans!...eh. Funny schitt.
Old 16-08-2018, 03:03   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.
Can you expound on this?
Old 16-08-2018, 03:55   #71

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Can you expound on this?
JB climbed into bed with the liberals..

Buffett to host fundraiser for Hillary Clinton – BuffettNews.com

It is a shame that people with a national, or international, stage feel compelled to use that stage to promote their political views.

I so wish he hadn't brought politics into his circle of limelight..
Old 16-08-2018, 05:36   #72

Sorry to burst anyone' bubble re: Jimmy Buffet's lifestyle, but it's only
theoretical.
I first met Jimmy Buffet when I worked on a phone where he was staying in Key West +_ 45 yrs. ago. He was a hard working up-and-coming musician then, and I don't think he has taken any real break since. He has great songs and music, but they're all what this self-made multi-millionaire wishes could be.
He's given us a dream also. More power to him!
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 06:10   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Indeed, a very interesting article about the man, as well as his music and the business. (and what a business)

I'd read before about his upcoming retirement home thing... and though I'm not a Parrothead I could certainly retire like one. As long as they have a dock and slips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
JB climbed into bed with the liberals..

Buffett to host fundraiser for Hillary Clinton – BuffettNews.com

It is a shame that people with a national, or international, stage feel compelled to use that stage to promote their political views.

I so wish he hadn't brought politics into his circle of limelight..
Gosh, an entertainer who espouses kicking back, taking it easy once in a while, being easygoing, getting along... who genuinely sympathizes with the little guy... might be a liberal? Whodathunkit?

Too funny. I'll bet an icy cold and delicious Margaritaville® margarita that if JB had shown up on a different political stage, with a red MAGA hat, you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

JB's music is if anything, apolitical, even anti-partisan. More people should maybe take that to heart.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 06:16   #74

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Buffett goes around doing concerts, signing autographs, making public appearances for promotional purposes, marketing his brand products, and enjoying his million and a half dollar oceanfront mansion in Palm Beach. I slave away as a poorly paid free-lance writer, mow grass at my house inland, and get away on my little aging sailboat whenever I can. The answer, then, is a firm "No, I don't."
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 06:29   #75

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I saw Jimmy in concert 20 days after my 21st birthday on April 20. You know, 420, as in a really important number to pot smokers?

It went like this... My designated driver and I get to the coliseum mid-day, start drinking and smoking pot. After a couple of beers I get asked for identification by undercover police looking to bust underaged drinking. Trust me, If there were any underaged people at this concert I will go outside right now and eat a fresh wasp nest, the crowd was older.

By show time, I already should not be out in public. Mid-concert, I was waiting in line to pee when I suddenly puked into my own beer cup. I held that beer cup until the line progressed so that I was close enough to toss it in the trashcan, I'm a thoughtful drunk and didn't want anyone to have to pick up my vomit filled solo cup.

I got 2 more beers and went back to where I thought I was supposed to be sitting, I wasn't even close. But there I ran into a gorgeous woman about 15-20 years older than me. At least I remember her being gorgeous. I hit on her. I must have exuded something resembling charm cause she actually agreed to dance with me. Minutes later I was kicked out for dancing too near the balcony railing because the wonderful security guard didn't want me to fall to my death. I'm not sure where the woman I was dancing with had made off to but I was alone on my way out the building.

I stole a traffic cone on the way to the car where I find my DD sleeping off the few beers he'd had while tailgating. I slept most of the way home.