Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2018, 14:53   #91
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 8,540
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Do you live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle?



Only when I bring my guitar with me on a cruise.



Otherwise I play his music on my Bluetooth-enabled car stereo system.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:00   #92
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Eisenhower even Nixon these days on domestic policy would be considered an extreme "liberal" by today's standards.

And 99.9% of this country's Democrats would be considered far right wing in the other more developed countries.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:25   #93
Registered User
 
LEOCAT66's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Slidell, LA. USA
Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Posts: 274
Images: 2
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Have been a member of this site for quite a while. Many times in the past, over the years, discussions of a sensative nature have become very heated. Mods have stepped in on many, cautioning many members to cool it and occasionly made decisions to close the thread. Simply trying to play within the rules.

I still like JB and at one time considered myself to be living his projected lifestyle, and lived aboard for over a year. He, over the years, has certainly provided most of us with our type of music, when no one else was. Recently, he has killed the bond here with us. No longer do we listen to his music non stop, when awake as we used to for so many years.


I come from a time, like many, when he was king. We are dying off and I doubt his success will continue when we do. Never remember him as one who was so political as he now is. I guess the bloom is off the rose.
__________________
"Slightest Puff Is All It Takes And We Are Gone, Over The Horizon, To Whatever Lies Beyond, Sailing, Sailing On"
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:36   #94
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 8,540
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Look at the example of the Dixie Chicks singers. Perfect case of NOT knowing your core audience and inappropriate use of "whatever platform they had available".

I agree with others here in that performers and athletes should stick to what they are being paid for and what people expect from them. Far too many have the idea that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

An interesting selection. Perhaps one of those new "alternative facts" so prevalent with the mindless these days.


Yes, I remember the Dixie Chicks and the reprehensible behavior of senior government officials at that time, too.


Some "reality TV star" comes to my mind right when you typed: "...that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience..."


Does this mean no one can sing "Blowing in The Wind?"


The choice of material should be up to the artist.


It's like the radio: If you don't like what's on, change the channel or turn it off.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:36   #95
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
/////
I come from a time, like many, when he was king. We are dying off and I doubt his success will continue when we do. .....
I dont think its going to be a worry. He is the same age or older than the core of his audience. He'll be gone before they are.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:42   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
An interesting selection. Perhaps one of those new "alternative facts" so prevalent with the mindless these days.


Yes, I remember the Dixie Chicks and the reprehensible behavior of senior government officials at that time, too.


Some "reality TV star" comes to my mind right when you typed: "...that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience..."


Does this mean no one can sing "Blowing in The Wind?"


The choice of material should be up to the artist.


It's like the radio: If you don't like what's on, change the channel or turn it off.
OK, you lost me on the "alternative facts" line. Going to have to explain that for me. Actually, as I re-read your post a few times, I'm lost on the whole thing. It's like words I know but the structure of them makes no sense. Blowing in the wind?

I said nothing about what an artist performs, I commented about a performer making statements that have nothing to do with their performances.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:54   #97
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dana Point, Ca.
Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Posts: 454
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Well , maybe we all should pay more attention to...the important post that it is................

NATIONAL RUM DAY !

Our personal views are ours, and that is where the buck stops when it is time to fill out our mail in our ballots.

I had no idea this was NATIONAL RUM DAY....

And to keep on the positive, we have a pre season NFL game on TV shortly, so how about blasting forth and enjoying the evening with your best beloved.

Just a tip for the rum drinkers out there that actually like the taste of rum..
Saiors and rum can meld together most properly.

I enhance it a bit, when I pick up my bottle of Whalers Dark Rum from Trader Joes.... I will add in a medium pour of Vanilla extract or vanilla flavoring.
All it takes is a glass, ice , and pour in the rum with the vanilla, add in a splash of water, and your party light is illuminated. Hargghhh, that flows down sooo very easy...so be careful.

Tonight we will add in the NFL, with Erica by my side, and life is good.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:57   #98
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 2,716
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
I said nothing about what an artist performs, I commented about a performer making statements that have nothing to do with their performances.
When those statements have nothing to do with their performances, as in not made at a performance, why on earth do you care? I would agree if he were using public, paid-for, performances as a venue to push his political views - the sin that the Dixie Chicks committed.

The larger issue is the crazy intolerance that so many Americans have for those with opposing views. We have all traveled our own paths in life, gathered our own experiences, and thought about problems in our own way; to conclude that our opinions are the only valid ones is a supreme act of arrogance. It is easier to support when one limits their social group to those with the same opinion, as is so common here. Trust me when I say that this is not behavior that will travel well while cruising, although many are insensitive to that. Closing out others for their differences is denying oneself a richer life.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:23   #99
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
When those statements have nothing to do with their performances, as in not made at a performance, why on earth do you care? I would agree if he were using public, paid-for, performances as a venue to push his political views - the sin that the Dixie Chicks committed.

The larger issue is the crazy intolerance that so many Americans have for those with opposing views. We have all traveled our own paths in life, gathered our own experiences, and thought about problems in our own way; to conclude that our opinions are the only valid ones is a supreme act of arrogance. It is easier to support when one limits their social group to those with the same opinion, as is so common here. Trust me when I say that this is not behavior that will travel well while cruising, although many are insensitive to that. Closing out others for their differences is denying oneself a richer life.

Greg
You quoted my post, but I'm not sure if you were talking to ME or just in generalities. If you read my other posts in the thread, I dont have a problem, live and let live. I'll proudly say I'm a conservative republican but I dont attack or harbor ill will for my friends and family who are liberals. I have some great debates with them from time to time because we can all defend and explain our thoughts without resorting to attacking the other (which is what sadly happens in the majority of "discussions" of polarizing topics in the general populace).
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:26   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Well , maybe we all should pay more attention to...the important post that it is................

NATIONAL RUM DAY !

Have you ever tried rum with coconut water?
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:53   #101
Registered User
 
SV Bacchus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Back on dirt in Florida
Boat: Currently in between
Posts: 1,330
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Anyway, if you say your response was meant to be non-partisan, I will take you at your word.
Back atcha!
__________________
SV Bacchus - Living the good life!
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 17:40   #102
Registered User
 
CarinaPDX's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Posts: 2,716
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
You quoted my post, but I'm not sure if you were talking to ME or just in generalities.

I was really just responding generally - the quote was apropos to the discussion. I actually read threads like this for content, and try not to attach names to ideas or otherwise I might start doing just what I am condemning: dismissing views because I don't agree with the author's values. In my (perhaps idealistic) view ideas should stand on their own, only supported by facts and logic. Dismissing an idea because one doesn't like the author, or because someone has put a loaded label on it, is just wrong IMHO.


Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:52   #103
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

I really find it hard to believe that patriotic Americans, who presumably believe the right of free speech is close to the top of what our country is all about,

would honestly say that **any** citizen with a strong opinion about public affairs, doesn't have the right to speak out. Obviously illegal speech intended to illegally intimidates or*incites violence*is a exception.

Of course if you disagree with their views, then you have the right to respond, organize a boycott, try to impact their livelihood etc, under the same freedoms that should be upheld for all citizens.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/polit...oke/index.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:35   #104
Registered User
 
LEOCAT66's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Slidell, LA. USA
Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Posts: 274
Images: 2
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

JB's music was never truly about just words or music. It was always about the escape dream possibility for average everyday sailors, like me. He fed the dream, He fed the feeling.
__________________
"Slightest Puff Is All It Takes And We Are Gone, Over The Horizon, To Whatever Lies Beyond, Sailing, Sailing On"
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:30   #105
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 12
Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most that say they do usually call themselves Parrot Heads.
Now this is my observation only, but being a Parrot Head is an excuse for being a drunk, most Parrot Heads donít own or live on a boat.

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, Iíd rater pick Hemingway
The Salty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jimmy Buffet Online Game and Video avb3 Off Topic Forum 1 09-09-2011 20:25

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.