Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2013, 12:03   #16

Re: do you have to become a wa. resident

Does anyone have any actual first hand experience of this DL requirement by marinas? I havent lived aboard up here for a while so no idea, but sure ahvent ben asked about the DL for any other marina issues....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 12:12   #17

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Does anyone have any actual first hand experience of this DL requirement by marinas? I havent lived aboard up here for a while so no idea, but sure ahvent ben asked about the DL for any other marina issues....
Yes. It has been nearly two years since I was looking, so I can't remember which ones (I must've contacted 30 marinas), but I was definitely asked more than once if I had a WA state ID when inquiring about liveaboard slips.

That said, my current slip does not require it.
FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:18   #18

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

FlyMeAway sounds very up on the legal aspects. Is he/she an attornery? The real issue is do you wish to become a WA resident? If you do, fine play by the rules, get registered pay the WA doc fees on your boat and sleep with ease. If you are a bit of an outlaw and believe that you are TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY, there are ways to avoid a lot of these wasted superfluxes taxes, cheating is a crime, avoidance is not. To me and it has worked with success just sort of keep a low profile and move ever so often. It is nice to be able to slip into Canada for six months out of the year and Alaska is the best cruising grounds I have ever been in. So far all the marinas are glad to see me return because I pay my rent and don't cause any problems.

So a few months in Alaska, a few months in beautiful British Columbia and then Washington or Oregon. That way no one knows where you are and quite frankly no one really cares. Whether they have a badge or not. But then I am a retired veteran have an international drivers license, white hair and do not have the complexity of a job. Bah, humbug on the job!

I just remembered, I was in the John Wayne Marina a few years ago. That is near Squim, WA. I had a short term consulting job there with a little aircraft co. They would not allow me to live aboard, marina policy, but would allow me to stay as a guest at practically the same monthly rate. So I was there for approx. three months. No sweat and they thanked me for my stay when I left. Times were a bit hard then, sort of like now. Remember it is sometimes easer to get forgiveness than it is to get permission. JMHO Sunseeker
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 21:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
FlyMeAway sounds very up on the legal aspects. Is he/she an attornery?
I am an attorney, though I am not admitted in WA. Of course, nothing I say on this forum should be construed as legal advice or the practice of law.

Again, the issue is not "do you want to become a WA resident" but rather "are you a WA resident." Residency is usually based on manifest intent not actual intent (oversimplifying quite a bit, but basically that means that it is based on what a reasonable person would think your intent is based on your actions, and not your actual intent).

The "taxed enough already" issue is irrelevant. I believe you can have a WA license / be a WA resident and not have your boat registered in WA (e.g., register it in Rhode Island). But if it stays in WA waters longer than the specified period, then you have pay the relevant WA fees and taxes. It's a tax on boats used in Washington waters, not a tax on boats registered in Washington.
Old 29-10-2013, 22:42   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
As an Oregon resident who works on the west coast I often look for Moorage in Wa during my ~6mo gigs. I think we're talking about Marina policy not a state requirement. I tell the marina staff my plans and no one has refused me in the end (if they don't have a waiting list). It takes tenacity and friendliness, but I find someone that "will figure out a way", after we make a connection!

Washington state has sales tax and higher license fees than Or. They also consider it a user fee, so if caught, you can be asked to License your boat or vehicle in the state if you're there more than 60 days. Sedna's PO got a waiver by saying his engine broke down and needed repair.

I do offer auto-deduct from my bank account, but that doesn't really seem to be a deal breaker. One could also offer to pay 3 mo in advance.

Bottom line, first answer is often no, but emails, phone calls, and personal visits to the marina usually get me a slip, if not I go 20 miles up the road.
Old 29-10-2013, 23:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
As an Oregon resident
Key part of your post.

There are all sorts of situations under which you could spend 4, 6, heck even 10 or 12 months a year in one state and still be considered the resident of another (military postings are one easy example; full-time students are another). Having fully vacated the state of ND, without an address, or a clear intent to return (as per OP's description of himself) -- that isn't one of them.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:48   #22

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well, whatever.....
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 00:59   #23

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

thanks for the information....I have a south dakota linscence for 20 years...I worked on ships for 8 years and in 2013 feb retired....I kept my lincense while I worked on ships...no problem? I bought a sailboat in seattle.wa in 08...did all the transfer and paid all the taxes and got the tags for the boat...no problem...I travel to and from south dakota...been working on my boat..since march...to get it ready to go sailing...I wanted to put it in the water after I got it ready...it was in On the hard...I went to everett marina to put in the water....I have insurance and all the right stuff..I got it gov. doc for the boat....If I travel on the water...go down to mexico and stay..maybe year or two...I have a passport and lincense from south dakota...I am transite.. I have children in new mexico...the question is can I hold on to my south dakota lincense or not...get a lincense from where? or do I have to become a resident of what state.......I am transite. can anyone help me....I can become a resident in new mexico where my son lives or what do i DO IF I TRAVEL WITH BOAT...GOT IT...DOES ANYONE OUT THERE TRAVEL AND HAVE NO STATE TO BELONG TO...OR DO YOU HAVE TO BELONG TO A STATE...WAITING FOR ANSWERS
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25   #24

Well....... it's seems pretty complicated from some people's posts. But I'm not sure many arent overthinking it. I guess everyone's situation is different.
pdjb: It sounds like you are set up and good to go to me..... until your current drivers license expires. Thenyou have to decide where to get one or renew. You can just let it pass but then if you want one again you might have to take the test. Also, beware: many insurance companies throw you into the high risk category if you have no previous insurance.... along with the DUI's and 16 year olds! It's probably best to maintain you license and to have insurance that has been put in "suspension". Very inexpensive and keeps you in the land of the insured.
I dont know that you have to belong to a state, but you need an address right? for the IRS at least....etc?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

It has been simple for me. I've basically been homeless for 2 years. I have a Private Mailbox in Oregon for 99.99% of my transactions. When I'm gone for a long time the owner forwards mail to me. Voter registration and DMV require a physical address, but still communicate through my mailing address. Currently, my physical address is the marina, but has been home of a friend or family member.