Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 13:46   #61

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
We are actually "the view" many pay millions to see.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:00   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
We are actually "the view" many pay millions to see.
And aint it great making all those people happy.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:03   #63

Boat: Cabo Rico
Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
I have only gotten criticism from my own mother for our plans to move onto the boat. A few are taking bets on how long before we get on each others nerves and quit and go "home" and they are the ones that don't seem to get that the boat is home!
I worry about the same thing when we leave in a while. We are going to be the "selfish ones" who left their Kids (in College) to go roam the world in a dang boat. And she'll think "how will he see me in my older years if they are out sailing around."

And no matter what anybody says, you really do care what your family thinks, even if they are misguided.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:20   #64

Re: What Flack do you get for being house less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Yes, me too. The first time I lived aboard I decided to walk up to the nearest store, a liquor store, to get some milk & cookies. After choosing a quart of milk and some Chips-Ahoy I set off back to the boat. One of Morro Bay's finest had seen me walking out of the store with a brown paper bag and pulled in to the nearest driveway in order to impede my progress down the sidewalk.
"What are you doing?"
Walking.
"Where you going?"
Home.
"Where's home?"
On a boat.
"Which boat?"
The Miss-fit.
"Where's that?"
On the North T Pier
"Where you coming from?"
The liquor store
"What's in the bag?"
Milk & cookies
"BULL&^%T!"
No, really.
"BULL&^%T!"
So I pulled up the quart of milk, then the log of cookies and showed him.
He squealed in frustration and sped off, almost hitting a parked car.

The MBPD has always been known for their spirit of service to the community.
Amazing. Just wondering, would it have made any difference if there WAS liquour in the bag? Surely it's legal to buy it and carry it home?

Only problem we've had is that some institutions require an actual residential adress - a PO box isn't acceptable to them. ie driver's (car and boat) license, boat registration, and some others.

We just C/O our old land based neighbour's adress.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:21   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I worry about the same thing when we leave in a while. We are going to be the "selfish ones" who left their Kids (in College) to go roam the world in a dang boat. And she'll think "how will he see me in my older years if they are out sailing around."

And no matter what anybody says, you really do care what your family thinks, even if they are misguided.
Well the impression I have of you on here is your not short of a bob or two.... why not give airline tickets to where you are birthdays and Christmas...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:31   #66

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

If you live in Morro Bay and don't appear to be retired or rich or on vacation, you will get hassled over nothing. Yes, liquor is as legal as milk & cookies if you're over 21.
I LOVE living in a police state.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:34   #67

Re: What flack do you get for being house less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Reality time.

Have you ever spoken to an actual liveaboard? In my neighborhood, liveaboards include an attorney, a college professor, a biomedical researcher, a mortgage broker, a cabinet maker, a software developer, a jazz musician, a project manager for a local boatyard, and a number of retirees. I can't think of anyone actively trying to escape a rat race. Some have plans to cruise eventually, some just prefer living on a boat. And it's inconceivable to me that any of these folks would criticize a neighbor for riding a bicycle. Most would probably look down their noses at someone riding a jet ski, but never a bicycle.

Lets not let internet fantasies distort perceptions of the real world.
To be honest I don't see there being all that much difference between living in a boat in a marina, living in a van in a park, and living in a house.

That's not the same as cruising. We hardly ever visit marinas. Our adress is where we happen to be at the time. We don't have neighbours, or even a neighbourhood.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 14:59   #68

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And aint it great making all those people happy.....

....still trying to find a way to charge them for the view!
Old 16-05-2011, 16:32   #69

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have come to accept that I am just retired boat trash. LOL
Old 17-05-2011, 06:23   #70

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well the impression I have of you on here is your not short of a bob or two.... why not give airline tickets to where you are birthdays and Christmas...
Ha...Yes but she is 85 and isn't as ready to travel as much as she did. But it's a great idea.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 07:27   #71
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

This thread has split into various forms, all good. Some talk about taking flack from friends and family while others refer to the very real threat Out There from officialdom. It's one thing to tell friends and family about your lifestyle but another to out yourself unnecessarily to strangers. There are always those zoning police who want to oust liveaboards. Too there is the danger that thieves target liveaboards, knowing that you probably have stuff on board that non-liveaboards don't carry such as a passport, collectibles, keepsakes, bank books, a computer with your entire business on the hard drive, and so on. Remember Mac and Muff Graham? By knocking them off and taking their boat, the bad guys helped themselves to a complete home, identity and lifestyle.
Old 17-05-2011, 08:23   #72

Boat: O'Day 40

I can't wait until I can sell everything that won't fit on the boat and leave all that landlubber life behind :-)_!!!!
jtallen2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 08:43   #73

I pay a state registration fee of just over $500 per year. No property tax, no storm water drainage tax, no school Levey or any of the dozens of taxes added onto your property. Nada, nothing zilch. I feel guilty about being classified as a transient by the census department. Homeless because I dont own any dirt. Shifting aimlessly around the area where I live. Taking my home with me on weekend trips. Living life on the edge of land, on the edge of a city. Free to be away from the electrical lines, water or sewer pipes. I wonder why I hear people say "I wish I could do that".

Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 09:36   #74

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I wonder why I hear people say "I wish I could do that".
Exactly. Those offering the most criticism are probably the most secretly envious of your choice of homes. Speaking of which, yours is absolutely beautiful.
Old 17-05-2011, 09:55   #75

Well, "Do You Get Flack for Being 'House-less'" doesn't mean liveaboards are homeless. I actually can't recall of any one of my dirt dwelling friends or family who doesn't think living on a boat is romantic and cool (I usually have to clue them in with a reality check). My wife has had the same experience (she comes from a sailing family) except for one friend who's constantly poking at her to move back to a house. They've know each other for a long time and are close friends, however my wife has had to get her to put the brakes on her comments because of some of her derogatory remarks.
The way I see it, some people will never understand the nature of living on a boat on the water (even to those want to change to a liveaboard lifestyle). Yes, we don't have to mow the lawn, but we need to pump the holding tanks. Yes, we need to check for leaks when a storm hits, but we don't need to worry about floods. And we both need to check the basement for flooding. There are a whole set of corresponding pros and cons for each way of life, however my wife and I go to sleep every night knowing and feeling fortunate that we are living our dream.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote