Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 07:36   #46

Boat: J/42
Re: Dive Scuba compressor

As discussed in many similar threads, the cheaper alternative for shallow-water dives is a small hookah rig. And/or get really good at free diving.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Watch this video, steel tank manufacturing is a very involved, multi step process. Very involved and expensive compared to aluminum
https://youtu.be/Z8R-I5I1Dgo
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:49   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aluminum tank manufacturing, look actual manufacturing is much fewer, less energy intensive steps, no hot dip galvanizing etc.
https://youtu.be/OmSvbp2NFbc
Old 09-04-2017, 08:55   #49

Boat: J/42

One of the products of the plant where my Dad worked was blanks for aluminum tanks (of all sorts). I think his retirement plaque, made from one of them, is around here someplace. It's basically a big hockey puck they put into a press and extrude the whole tank in one blow. I'm not exactly sure how the neck is formed.

They also used to ship big insulated crucibles of molten metal off to various casting plants within a hundred miles or so. I always gave those trucks a wide berth on the freeway. Most people probably had no idea what they were...

Ah... thnx for the vid. Pretty cool.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:14   #50

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
As discussed in many similar threads, the cheaper alternative for shallow-water dives is a small hookah rig. And/or get really good at free diving.
Ah yes....the hookah rigs. Those get pretty expensive too....few thousand dollars.

I wonder how deep a healthy person could go and use atmospheric air going down a 1" hose before fitting to a regulator. I'm sure some brave adventurers have done it successfully to some depth.

Free diving feels like one is tempting death with each dive. Perhaps that changes if one develops the ability to stay underwater for several minutes. I wonder how many brain cells are kicking the bucket due to O2 starvation.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:49   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dive Scuba compressor

Max length for a snorkel is something like 20", beyond that you can't overcome the pressure with your diaphragm muscles. I guess maybe a really fit person could go to two feet or so?
I have a couple hundred bucks in my hooka, markj I think has a post detailing putting his together.
You can spend much more I'm sure
Old 09-04-2017, 15:40   #52
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
I wonder how deep a healthy person could go and use atmospheric air going down a 1" hose before fitting to a regulator. I'm sure some brave adventurers have done it successfully to some depth.
One meter is the physical limit for a human breathing through a snorkle regardless of diameter. Beyond that, the human lung does not have the power to inhale air.

Having earned my living with DIY hookahs for over 20 years, I can tell you that you can build your own high quality and absolutely safe rig for well under $1000.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 16:58   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hookahs are great for cleaning bottoms and simple low current protected dives.... but dangerous in more interesting open water reef pass dives where strong variable currents and overhangs can catch the umbilical.

Personally I like the Aluminium 80 tanks for keeping on boat.
A lot less maintenance issue if they get banged around in the tender.

Also integral weights in the BC and the positive bouancy makes switching Alloy tanks in the water much easier

I keep 4 on board and the cost of replacing them after 10 years is not that large.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 17:59   #54

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

The steel tanks are called chrome-moly, those are expensive materials. Plus steel is much harder to work with. Watching the videos convinced me further that steel tanks are quite a bit better.

I'd also bet the steel tanks could handle more pressure. They are both tested to 5000 psi before shipping.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, Cuba, scuba