Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2022, 07:54   #76

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Re: Dish Feuds With SpaceX Over Starlink Dishes Being Used on Moving Boats, Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblk65 View Post
Obviously we will all use the service that suits us best…and likely care little about legal wrangling.

But I personally feel it is important to remain aware that a choice between 2 battling monopolies is not really choice, at least not the type of choice that creates and maintains fair markets and innovation.

Some people see a intellectual deity in Elon Musk, some a demon. I see a tax-subsidized future Bond Villain. No one individual or entity should be allowed such outweighted control over so many varying industries. We need to tighten our existing laws against unfair monopoly, a good start would be enforcing the ones that already exist.
Rockefeller
Vanderbilt
Carnegie
Gates
Musk
I could go on...

"Behind every great fortune lies a crime."
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 08:22   #77

Re: Dish Feuds With SpaceX Over Starlink Dishes Being Used on Moving Boats, Cars

It drives me nuts when a parent says "Good Job" every time a kid takes a breath. I'm all for positive reinforcement, and a dressing down when a kid is out of line. But we are raising a generation of people who think there are no winners and losers. Everybody gets a trophy.

Musk is a remarkable guy who has a condition which can devastate some people, and can lift others to heights unobtainable by us normal folks. Kudos to him for his abilities, his perseverance, his innovation, and his wanting to protect freedom of speech! I'm a cautious fan.
karkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 08:34   #78

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

Dish is owned by AT&T The fcc should force divesture and spaceX should counter sue for anti trust. Can’t hide behind regulatory licenses to kill innovation
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 09:44   #79

pirate Re: Dish Feuds With SpaceX Over Starlink Dishes Being Used on Moving Boats, Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I suppose the rules are for other folk.

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.
We need to rise up against children with leukaemia.

FWIW, I have two unwritten rules.
I love it
Hog Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 10:04   #80

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
How the hell does the FCC have the ability to regulate a satellite signal being received on a boat in international waters?
Legally: US flagged vessels are subject to US laws in US and international waters.
When in the waters of other nations they are subject to that nation’s laws.

Practically: USCG boarding crews which project well beyond US waters hitching rides with the USNavy. Navy folks will never board you vessel, against US law. They may operate the launch carrying the boarding crew from their vessel to yours.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 10:35   #81

DISH is running scared. Royal Caribbean and a few others Cruise lines are urging the FCC to okay Starlink for use in the boundaries of the United States on its Vessels. Right now as i under stand it, in the commonwealth of nations and many other countries it is okay to use Starlink on an RV, Bus, Vessel.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 11:43   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Dish has paid for the licenses so that they can offer mobile service.
FCC license fees are negligible. The way Dish (and others) paid for FCC licenses is via campaign contributions to cut through bureaucracy that would take decades without large campaign contributions. Campaign contributions to get a license is a form of corruption, so Dish are definitely the bad guys here, in my opinion.
Old 17-06-2022, 12:25   #83

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

This is just a distraction for Musk. As CaptTom says

“ Yes, but providers like Dish don't have the hardware to "upgrade." They are essentially at a dead end.”

These guys are selling buggy whips in an automotive world. They are toast

Having owned boats for many years and paid between $1500 and $3000 a month for intermittent and slow Internet this new technology can’t come fast enough for me. Imagine connected any time anywhere!! Awesome.

And yes Musk has a regulatory problem. There are over 180 countries in the world. Many governments don’t really want their people on the WWW. They will use every means possible to stand in the way. But it won’t be easy for them. Look at Ukraine. Russia blocked most of their ISPs and switched a bunch over to Russian only sources. But Starlink they couldn’t jam.
Naysayers Get out of the way the future is going to run over you.
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 12:43   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
I am surprised that the FCC has authority over celestial systems.
The ITU, and the FCC [and other related international UN and WTO agreements] were created in 1932, to regulate how terrestrial and satellite radio should be used, in all countries over the planet.

Access to the existing information infrastructure, and to that of the future Information Society, depends critically on these regulations.

The International Telecommunication Union [ITU] Radio Regulations, and related UN and WTO agreements, specify how terrestrial and satellite radio should be used in all countries over the planet.

The U.S. Communications Act of 1934 [and etc.] created the Federal Communications Commission, and gave it the power to regulate all nongovernment wire and wireless communications in the public interest.
The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories, by acts of Congress.

One of the difficulties radiocommunication confronts, is the apparent spectrum congestion, and scarcity of radio frequencies. Most of the suitable frequencies have already been used, in many regions of the world, and new demands exceed what can be accommodated. In some frequency bands, and geographical regions, there is no place for new radio stations, and new services.
The same concerns the geostationary satellite orbit. The issue is critical to all radio-dependent activities. The growing disproportion between the demand for radio frequencies, and orbital positions, on one hand, and what is apportioned on the other, calls for reconsideration of the existing ways these resources have been used. As radio has an immense impact on many aspects of our life, the issue deserves serious considerations by the wider community.
The number of terrestrial and space radio stations grows without precedence, and the frequency demand follows that trend. The ITU has recorded more frequency assignments, in the last few years, than during the whole previous history of radio.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 13:04   #85

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

All those posting about breaking the rules on using Starlink while moving are helping Dish. FCC knows they cannot realistically fine offenders, but if they see fit they can force Starlink to incorporate hardware that prevents illegal operations
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 15:21   #86

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I wonder what happens if you go out in your boat and push 10Mw of San and bleed all over the spectrum? Curious
Old 17-06-2022, 15:36   #87
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

It’s a storm in a teacup , dish is playing a weak hand and it knows it but it’s a play. Starlink isnt really ready for comprehensive roaming , especially until it gets more laser linked birds up and probably doesn’t want to get dragged into markets it’s not ready for , especially as worldwide this requires lots of negotiations and stacks of individual agreements.

Undoubtably starlink will get its fcc licence in due course
Old 17-06-2022, 19:08   #88

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkauai View Post
It drives me nuts when a parent says "Good Job" every time a kid takes a breath. I'm all for positive reinforcement, and a dressing down when a kid is out of line. But we are raising a generation of people who think there are no winners and losers. Everybody gets a trophy.

Musk is a remarkable guy who has a condition which can devastate some people, and can lift others to heights unobtainable by us normal folks. Kudos to him for his abilities, his perseverance, his innovation, and his wanting to protect freedom of speech! I'm a cautious fan.
"I'm a cautious fan." is just about perfect. It is important to the mythology of the USA that folks like him exist. Of course, it is not really true - not everyone is born into a life that would allow this. Why was it necessary for Musk to leave S Africa? Because he NEVER could have succeeded in SA to the the degree that he has succeeded in the USA. The infrastructure, the education, the courts, the roads, the egalitarianism (compared to SA), etc. all allowed him to achieve stratospheric (pun intended) levels of success. It is a cruel lie that it is all about the individual. If the individual and the society are oriented to success, the sky is the limit (doubled down on the pun).
Now - if only Musk would understand this and give something back...
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 19:44   #89

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
Now - if only Musk would understand this and give something back...
You mean like providing reliable online financial services, electric cars, satellite internet, etc.?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 02:23   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
How the hell does the FCC have the ability to regulate a satellite signal being received on a boat in international waters?

Unfortunately it's a US company.. they should have established themselves elsewhere..
tkalfaoglu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat