Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 14:45   #46

Re: Dish Feuds With SpaceX Over Starlink Dishes Being Used on Moving Boats, Cars

We need more musks in this world and fewer al gores
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 14:46   #47

Re: Dish Feuds With SpaceX Over Starlink Dishes Being Used on Moving Boats, Cars

We need more Elon musks in the world
Fewer Al Gores
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 03:35   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
... 1. Disk jelly they don’t have active duty ribbons.
2. Musk gave Tesla patents to BMW and Toyota...
1. ???
2. Context:
In 2014, Elon Musk announced [A] on Tesla’s blog, that their patents are open to everyone.
However, there was a small catch — you have to use Tesla’s patents in good faith.
Here’s Tesla’s stance on good faith:
A party is “acting in good faith” for so long as such party and its related or affiliated companies have not:
asserted, helped others assert or had a financial stake in any assertion of (i) any patent or other intellectual property right against Tesla or (ii) any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment;
challenged, helped others challenge, or had a financial stake in any challenge to any Tesla patent; or
marketed or sold any knock-off product (e.g., a product created by imitating or copying the design or appearance of a Tesla product or which suggests an association with or endorsement by Tesla) or provided any material assistance to another party doing so.

[A] “All Our Patent Are Belong To You”
https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-p...are-belong-you

https://www.tesla.com/legal/addition...#patent-pledge

Toyota joins Tesla in releasing patents
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...asing-patents/

Ford Opens Up Electric Vehicle Patents, Following Tesla and BMW
In June of 2014, Tesla Motors' CEO Elon Musk did something highly unusual: he unlocked Tesla's patent box and offered to share the company's electric car technology with other automakers.
The following month, BMW did the same thing.
Now [2015], Ford is following suit, giving rivals around the globe access to its portfolio of patents related to electric vehicle technology.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...utomakers.-Why

BMW: No Interest In Tesla Cooperation, Musk Was Posturing
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...sturing-for-pr

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 03:59   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
We need more Elon musks in the world
Fewer Al Gores
Late-Breaking news:
The Court has decided Elon Musk will be Granted Sole Custody of Child “X Æ A-12", after Divorce from Wife Grimes ...
Since he filed for, and was awarded the patent, back in March of 2019

Elon Musk would never have to worry, if he lost his son X ...

Q: What do Elon Musk, and the Nazis, have in common?
A: They both give children serial numbers.

Old 15-06-2022, 04:13   #50

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

In Puerto Rico when politicians tossed paper towels like Band T shirts at a concert Elon Musk flew in a crew and football fields in solar panels to keep hospitals running. Never looked for photo op press or payment.

War in Ukraine a column of Russians defeated by IT guys drones road side weapons Musks first delivery of a box and two low orbit went to battle.
Top the Dish Net Active Duty Ribbon and DCM.

I recall Texas banning Tesla sales cause he didn’t do things like the good old boys. The good old boys spend way too much time smack talking innovators. Shareholders count you don’t so no worries.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 04:26   #51

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

When you buy most multinational shares you increase cash flow, the blood pressure of business, offshore, forever.
When the average person in an average job invested in the company they worked for it grew a little and the town did a little better.
Do you remember those little US flags at Walmart. They are all gone.
I believe Musk has set North America to lead in several technologies. Silly folks in his way don’t seem to bother him much.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 04:46   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... I recall Texas banning Tesla sales cause he didn’t do things like the good old boys. The good old boys spend way too much time smack talking innovators. Shareholders count you don’t so no worries.
Under Texas [and other State laws*] franchise laws, consumers can only buy cars from independently owned auto dealers, and can’t buy them directly from automakers.

So, Tesla has to ship its electric vehicles, made in Texas, to other states, before selling them to Texans.
Bill HB 4379 was introduced, after Tesla committed to entering Texas. If the bill would have passed, the automaker would be able to sell its cars, direct to consumers in the state. However, the bill stalled.
In June of 2021, Texas lawmakers, who only meet for 140 days every other year, decided not to pass legislation, that would allow automakers to sell directly to Texans. The meetings ended, without any change to the franchise laws. The next time lawmakers are scheduled to meet is in 2023.

However, the Texas legislature did find time, that session, to consider a new tax on EV owners that, at up to $400 per year, would be the highest in the nation.

Texas lawmakers also found time to sweep away gun licensing laws, restrict voting rights, and specify which bathrooms schoolchildren will be permitted to use.

*Virtually all states require auto manufacturers to sell new vehicles through local franchised dealers, protect dealers from competition in Relevant Market Areas (RMAs), and terminate franchises with existing dealers only after proving they have a “good cause” to do so.
https://www.mercatus.org/publication...ks-auto-buyers

Old 15-06-2022, 05:19   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
In Puerto Rico when politicians tossed paper towels like Band T shirts at a concert Elon Musk flew in a crew and football fields in solar panels to keep hospitals running. Never looked for photo op press or payment.

War in Ukraine a column of Russians defeated by IT guys drones road side weapons Musks first delivery of a box and two low orbit went to battle.

Top the Dish Net Active Duty Ribbon and DCM.

I recall Texas banning Tesla sales cause he didn’t do things like the good old boys. The good old boys spend way too much time smack talking innovators. Shareholders count you don’t so no worries.

Tesla gives thd ukrainians a few Dishys , Germany gives the Ukrainians a billion euros in lethal aid , a bit then passing around a few paper towels

Musk is a show man that’s about it
Old 15-06-2022, 12:50   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
I'm really curious where people see Starlink "encouraging" users to use their dishes while in motion. I posted a direct quote from their website and I'm fairly sure it is in their TOS as well. It is enough to make me stow the dish while underway. I don't see the company doing any encouraging. Quite the opposite in my case.
But, you put it away so you didn't void the warranty, not because it's illegal. I'd be interested to know if you knew it was illegal to use when in motion when you purchased it?
Chili Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:59   #55

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
But, you put it away so you didn't void the warranty, not because it's illegal. I'd be interested to know if you knew it was illegal to use when in motion when you purchased it?
I don't actually know if it is legal or not to use underway. Nor do I care.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 13:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
I don't actually know if it is legal or not to use underway. Nor do I care.
And that was my point. It is clearly illegal but as a buyer you weren't informed of that. Seems a bit shady to me.

For the record, I think musk is dangerous, smart, but dangerous.
Old 15-06-2022, 13:49   #57

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
For the record, I think musk is dangerous, smart, but dangerous.
Everyone is dangerous. The only question is to whom?
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 14:56   #58

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Musk dangerous? I guess I can see that. Being extremely wealthy conveys a lot of power. And power corrupts. And just as absolute power corrupts absolutely, a massive amount of power (money) corrupts a massive amount.

Yeah, we need to watch hm. I applaud him for advancing civilization in a number of ways, far beyond where we'd be without him. I'd go to Mars with him. But I'm not sure I'd want to work for him, or be forced to follow him everywhere he wants to go. He is smart, and driven, but he's not always right. Idealists setting up utopian societies don't have a great track record.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 15:03   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Musk dangerous? I guess I can see that. Being extremely wealthy conveys a lot of power. And power corrupts. And just as absolute power corrupts absolutely, a massive amount of power (money) corrupts a massive amount.

Yeah, we need to watch hm. I applaud him for advancing civilization in a number of ways, far beyond where we'd be without him. I'd go to Mars with him. But I'm not sure I'd want to work for him, or be forced to follow him everywhere he wants to go. He is smart, and driven, but he's not always right. Idealists setting up utopian societies don't have a great track record.
It's more about narcissistic behaviors, lack of empathy, lack of regard for laws, etc.
Old 15-06-2022, 15:26   #60

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
It's more about narcissistic behaviors, lack of empathy, lack of regard for laws, etc.
If you -really- care about people with lack of regard for the law, you probably take a dim view of -most- people. How many of us haven't broken a law at some point in our lives? I don't know any adult that hasn't. Furthermore, I think law and morality are often linked but one does not imply the other. If someone jay walks, I don't consider them a "bad person" by default.

You may hate Musk as many people do, but I still believe Starlink the company adequately warned me not to use their product while in motion and I haven't seen proof of them encouraging me to do otherwise.

Personally, I see Musk as an innovator on a mission that I applaud. I think he has added to this world through his endeavors. I appreciate that his products allow me access to the Internet (a basic right), which I wouldn't otherwise have in many places. I appreciate that his vehicles are helping to usher in a greener solution to transportation. I like that I can pay for things online, which he in large part helped start with Paypal. And I really hope he gets humans to Mars. Not many people in ALL HISTORY can lay claim to achievements like that. There are a great many rich that do bad with power and money. Musk has turned his attention on the future of humanity in a tangible way. If you believe he is narcissistic, fine. However, keep in mind that people are a balance of their attributes.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat