Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 08:42   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Dingy Outboards - long shaft vs short

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Short shaft, limited market for resale
Long shaft, most used as it is functional for dinghys, john boats, skiffs
X-long shaft, sailboat kicker
you've got some of that flipped.

Short shaft (standard length) is by far the most used as it fits dinghys, john boats, skiffs, most small power boats.

long & x-long shaft generally used on small sailboats
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:46   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
you've got some of that flipped.

Short shaft (standard length) is by far the most used as it fits dinghys, john boats, skiffs, most small power boats.

long & x-long shaft generally used on small sailboats

Bigger skiffs (14+ feet) will sometimes (but not always) have taller transoms and need a long shaft, depending on how much freeboard and weight capacity the designer was going for. The 12 foot aluminum skiff we carry as a dinghy uses a short shaft, as does the 14 foot version of the same skiff. But move up to the 16 footer they sold at the time and that has a taller transom and needs a long shaft.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 07:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The longer shaft also puts more of a "lever arm" force on the dink, exactly what you don't want...
Yep totally agree , and have actually seen this for myself . Jeeze this takes me back .

I had an 8' dinghy , i would mention the name , but i doubt anyone would have heard of it . I also had a 4hp long shaft , from a previous sailboat . It was actually the auxiliary from that sailboat . When i replaced that sailboat , with a larger keel boat , i needed a tender .
So i married the dinghy with the motor .
The motor had more than enough power , but it did raise the bow badly . It also squat the stern . To counter this , i would have to sit as far forward as i could get , and limit the power . Eventually i used a tiller extension , which gave me more control of the motors throttle , and allowed me to sit even further forward , actually right in the nose , but the steering was stiff , and you had to be delicate . I was younger then , so didn't really understand the principle . I never really cured the problem , but i did understand the dinghy was overpowered .
On one occasion , a long dinghy run was needed for supplies . Off i went , good hand full of power . There were two of us aboard , but little else , and even with both of us , sat right forward , the nose still rose . Looked back to check all was good , and i noticed a bow in the tiller extension . The dinghy was fast , but i'm pretty sure the bow was caused by exactly what your saying .
Clippsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 07:32   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dingy Outboards - long shaft vs short

On an inflatable of the soft floor/floor boards type the long shaft will put extra stress on the glued joins of tube to transom as the thrust will have the effect of trying to push the prop under the boat.. it will get you on a plane quicker tho'..
Don't ask me how I know..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard