Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 16:49   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Dinghy Stolen - Key West FL

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in...

So my dinghy was stolen this afternoon (around 3 pm). I live in the Garrison Bight Mooring Field.

Where: I was parked in the mangroves behind the Denny's on Roosevelt.

When: Local witnesses put the theft at around 3 pm that afternoon. The person couldn't get the motor started and I had unbalanced oars (they're for an emergency and different lengths so hard to get to work unless you know what your doing) so he stood out.

Who: It was a male of dark complexion. Unknown to the witnesses, some of who live in the mooring field (so not one of the other boaties).

What: My dinghy was an older West Marine Classic.

It had a 2017 Tohatsu 3.5 four stroke on the back. I had just purchased a yellow pelican case as a waterproof toolbox and a small anchore. There are 2 blue lines (one tie to the bow, one to the stern) as well as a large black line tied to the bow. The words "Wiki Wiki" are on the transome - black decals. I don't have the FL registration numbers because the paperwork is on the mothership that I can't get to. The starboard side registration plate broke off but the port side is still on the boat and registration is good until 2020.

I'm thinking it will end up somewhere around Stock Island (just a guess).

Shout out to the guys at Parrot Key jet ski rental. 1) They saw the guy and suspected something. 2) They made some quick phone calls when I inquired with them (since they are on that channel all day). 3) One of the guys took me around on the Jetski to see if we could find the dinghy in the mooring fields and small island around Key West Harbor. Not a moment of hesitation, just boaties helping boaties. Awesome guys.

Don't expect much but figured maybe someone will see something and I'll get lucky or find the guy.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55   #2

Re: Dinghy Stolen - Key West FL

So Key West is the weirdest town I've ever lived in. I got a call at lunch time from a local marina. My dinghy was tied up to their dock and could I please come and move it.

What was stolen:

- Cup for bailing water

- Life vest (cheapy orange one)

- Scuba shoes

What was left behind:

- Brand new anchor

- Engine (which still runs)

- Gasoline

- Brand new tools bought on Monday

- Brand new pelican case to hold tools bought on Monday

What was added:

- Blue 5 gallon bucket

- Fishing net

- Bar of Old Spice Deodorant (which was placed in the pelican case with the new tools).

I ordered the new motor last night so at least it motivated me for that upgrade as it's twice the power.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:28   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

At least you got it back. Sounds like it was someone who needed a ride more than wanted to actually steal anything. Not making excuses or saying it was okay, just an observation.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:36   #4

Boat: Bristol 29

It’s not just Key West, it’s Florida. Last year someone broke into my car and stole the change out of the ashtray. Loss of $6.50. Strangely enough I had just counted it the day before because I went shopping without my wallet. But wait - they dropped $1.75 on the floor, so net loss only $4.75. But wait, there’s more - they also dropped $7 of bills on the floor, so actual net gain of $2.25! Unfortunately they also stole my CD wallet which had a couple of my favorite CDs. Who listens to CDs now, anyway? I’m guessing it was one of the drugged addled psychos that wander all over Florida.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:42   #5

I have tied up under the bridge often myself. But I always lock the boat to a tree. Or the bridge supports. Rarely ever see anybody there
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:46   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
It’s not just Key West, it’s Florida. .
Maybe, but it's "special" at Key West and Boot Key. If you are part of the FB groups you know this
Old 08-08-2019, 11:56   #7

I know a lot of dinghys go missing from the Anchorage. I'm sure this is from improper tie up as many are found floating. Once in awhile you hear of a dinghy being stolen. But not common but does happen
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have a new Fatty Knees with a 2 hp Honda I’d like to keep. Registration numbers seem to help. Of the dinghies stolen from our marina, most have no numbers. Second I added one mean lock and cable to secure the boat and outboard. No casual thief with a pair of bolt cutters are going them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	197482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	197483
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:59   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
Sounds like it was someone who needed a ride more than wanted to actually steal anything.

I would imagine that they weren't quite done stealing it, but that circumstances kept them from returning to the dock where they had left it.

Glad you got it back.

Did you call the Monroe County Sheriff? I don't imagine that they'll care very much but they could dust it for prints if they were motivated enough.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Did you call the Monroe County Sheriff? I don't imagine that they'll care very much but they could dust it for prints if they were motivated enough.

You're joking, right?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:29   #11

Quote:
It’s not just Key West, it’s Florida.

No, it's Key West.

I had an anchor stolen there once. By the owner of the boat next to mine. He left me a smaller one that didn't reach the chain at the windlass, and he wired it in pretty tight on his.

As I was an absentee owner at the time, and didn't want to pay someone to watch my boat, I just took it as a loss and part of the cost of doing business in Key West.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:42   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@dwedeking2:

Good on ya mate, ya got it BACK! No harm, no foul, but the guy may be stinky by now without his Old Spice. I'm glad you got it back, too.

Ann
Old 08-08-2019, 13:03   #13

Quote:
It’s not just Key West, it’s Florida.
No, it's Key West.

I had an anchor stolen there once. By the owner of the boat next to mine. He left me a smaller one that didn't reach the chain at the windlass, and he wired mine pretty tight on his.

As I was an absentee owner at the time, and didn't want to pay someone to watch my boat, I just took it as a loss and part of the cost of doing business in Key West.

Another time I was paying for a Mooring Ball at Garrison Bight, and left my dinghy at the dinghy dock. They didn't give me a sticker, so I didn't worry about it too much. I left for a month traveling out of the country, and when I got back I had a note from anchor towing. They had towed it, and I owed them $1700 when they sent the notice, and were adding $35 per day.

So I signed over the dinghy and paid them $250. I guess the dinghy was worth about $750. I could have complained, but what would be the point?

Is it fair? No. It's Key West. It's a nice place to live, but visiting there can get costly.
Old 08-08-2019, 13:09   #14

dwedeking2:

Glad you got it back!

Put some kind of lock on it, and definitely lock down the motor.
Old 08-08-2019, 13:46   #15

I had a lock that tied the motor, boat and gas can together. Just ordered a 12ft cable w/ lock so I can go from boat to tree/bridge column etc.

I just thought it was weird that all the valuable/easy to pawn/craigslist stuff stayed on the boat. Things worth zero got taken. And I think if I add in the cost of the Old Spice I'm actually ahead dollars. lol.

The witnesses I talked to said that he looked like he was high.

Tags
dinghy, key west