Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 07:10   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Dinghy Security Caribbean

If you read the Caribbean security network you'd be forgiven for thinking that no-one leave the region with their original dinghy/outboard combo.

I presume there must be some good bargains out there used dinghies and outboards by now. Yet it's been reported here that tenders are difficult to buy, so what happens to them all? There are only so many locals.

Some of the islands are just territories/regions of European countries with their laws and systems. You'd expect the Dutch and the French to issue with huge amounts of theft.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:11   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
If you read the Caribbean security network you'd be forgiven for thinking that no-one leave the region with their original dinghy/outboard combo.

I presume there must be some good bargains out there used dinghies and outboards by now. Yet it's been reported here that tenders are difficult to buy, so what happens to them all? There are only so many locals.

Some of the islands are just territories/regions of European countries with their laws and systems. You'd expect the Dutch and the French to issue with huge amounts of theft.
The locals dont want your dinghy, they want the motor. Typically they are stolen together because its easier then motor removed and the dink discarded. Its not uncommon for cruisers to recover their stolen dink sans motor.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:15   #18

OK then, so there must be a good few used motors around for sale then, if not where do they go?
Old 13-12-2018, 09:23   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy Security Caribbean

On their own boats.. and their old knackered one stripped and kept or sold in bits for spares.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:31   #20

Many of them go up for sale, but usually in a different venue than where stolen. Its not uncommon for theives to steal the motor, or other items, and stash them nearby rather than risking transport while things are still hot...return in a few days then move the stolen items elsewhere for sale.

I know folks who have retrieved stolen goods w this knowledge by mounting an intensive search, with local assistance, right away. Also had a friend catch a thief this way...he searched immediately and found the stash, recovered a few important items, but left the rest in place. He & the cops staked out the stash...and sure enough the thieves returned and were busted.

Case in point: there is a steady flow of stolen motors, and sometimes dinghies, between Belize/Guatemala/Honduras.
Old 13-12-2018, 09:39   #21

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I use a dingy motor lock the kind wit the metal bar that slides over the toggles . There is an all stainless one that I have to get as the old one is rusted out
Old 13-12-2018, 09:43   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy Security Caribbean

Another thing is.. its more likely to be stolen if 10hp and upwards.. my Tohatsu 6hp and slat floor dinks never get a second look in the Caribe..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 10:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
However.. There was at least 2 reports in Martinique this year.. Pretty sure one was a "bad tie" issue that floated away. The second incident is highly likely to have been another "cruiser".

Again.. Lift and lock every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Joan View Post
Do any of the following islands have major dinghy theft problems:

Barbadoes
BVI & USVI

Martinique

Guadleoupe
Antigua
St Kitts
Puerto Rico
Dominican Republic

Jamaica
San Blas - Panama

Thanks for all the great suggestions - we nearly always keep dinghy on davits and have brought a lock so dinghy is more secure on davits. I always remove motor from dinghy when on davits for the night.

As it appears that Outboard theft is more of a concern than the dinghy itself I will lock the new outboard in the wet-locker onboard when not in use.
Seems a shame but I think i'll splatter paint all over it to ugly it up!
I'll use my old ugly 3.3hp mariner when power is not an issue as its a less desirable outboard.
To flesh out the list a bit more:

San Blas, Panama: Theft, or any crime against cruisers, is VERY rare in the San Blas. Its one of the many things we like there.

Puerto Lindo, Panama: there has been a rash of boats robbed, not just dinghy theft, at anchor recently.

Jamaica...I had an attempted theft there years ago, and knowing Jamiaca a bit, expect thats an issue there, but dont know for sure. Funny foiled theft story in Jamaica: It was very late & very quite , I heard something outside, I eased out of the bunk, did not turn any lights on and quitely slipped outside, I could see the guy just off the transom, under the davits, with his back to me...I eased up close behind him and said "can I help you with something?"...he was off like a shot!

Edit: aargh, old thread, and I discovered I had basically already posted the above a while back.
Old 14-12-2018, 01:56   #24

Boat: Moody 39

Very useful thread, thanks to all contributors.
I am leaning towards a DIY plywood dinghy with a 6hp... should be pretty unattractive to thieves by the sound of things

If you don't have davits, would lifting on a poled out halyard be sufficient protection?
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 02:47   #25

I imagine it to be a right pain, though with many things like this you only hear of the bad.

If one goes into town in the morning, comes back to the boat for a siesta, then later goes into town in the evening for drinks or a meal, that is 4 times a day you have raise up/drop the dinghy and lift off/on the motor.

Probably better to anchor close and paddle in on some cheap inflatable.
Old 14-12-2018, 05:24   #26

Quote:
I imagine it to be a right pain, though with many things like this you only hear of the bad.

If one goes into town in the morning, comes back to the boat for a siesta, then later goes into town in the evening for drinks or a meal, that is 4 times a day you have raise up/drop the dinghy and lift off/on the motor.

Dinghy thefts normally happen at night. I always lift & lock at night regardless of where we are...its just a good habit.

I have a long security cable that attaches to the motor, runs thru the handle of the fuel tank then thru a pad eye forward. Thus locking dink and all its major contents. The cable is long enough that I can lock to mothership when dink is in the water astern, in the davits, or to a dock. When not locked to something externally it locks to a padeye in the dink.

So, if Im in a questionable area I can lock to the mothership very easily even with the dink in the water.
Old 14-12-2018, 06:07   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Dinghy thefts normally happen at night. I always lift & lock at night regardless of where we are...its just a good habit.

I have a long security cable that attaches to the motor, runs thru the handle of the fuel tank then thru a pad eye forward. Thus locking dink and all its major contents. The cable is long enough that I can lock to mothership when dink is in the water astern, in the davits, or to a dock. When not locked to something externally it locks to a padeye in the dink.

So, if Im in a questionable area I can lock to the mothership very easily even with the dink in the water.
Missed a step, it also locks to a padeye on the stern of dink.
Old 14-12-2018, 06:32   #28

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Another thing is.. its more likely to be stolen if 10hp and upwards.. my Tohatsu 6hp and slat floor dinks never get a second look in the Caribe..

Then I guess my mid-90's Nissan 2.5 and leaky old Avon Redcrest should be pretty safe.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:20   #29

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"I have a long security cable that attaches to the motor, runs thru the handle of the fuel tank then thru a pad eye forward. Thus locking dink and all its major contents. The cable is long enough that I can lock to mothership when dink is in the water astern, in the davits, or to a dock."

We have spent years cruising the Windwards, Leewards, and the Bahamas. This has been exactly our strategy. Also a truly unique and hideous paintjob on the 8hp motor. Unique and hideous enough that everyone in the harbor instantly recognizes it. And of course, hoisting on the davits as high as it will go every night.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:22   #30

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:

I hace never seen anyone hoist the dingy during the day and then relaunch. It is the overnight theft that is mor of an issue

Tags
Caribbean, dinghy, rib, security