Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 19:10   #31

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Dinghy Motor Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
What's the contingency in these situations if/when the outboard breaks?
Plan ahead. Then fix it, row it, drift to shore, go for help, wait for help.

If you are going to take the boat 10 miles from nowhere you are of course going to be prepared. For me it was freshwater lakes so we didn't worry much about having water but we watched the weather and brought gear for cold and rain as appropriate. We always had an anchor, sometimes two, and some line, and PFDs, and extra throwables. A second fuel tank. Some tools and parts particularly spark plugs and a starter rope. Oars or at least paddles. Lights. Footwear. Food. We would, generally, stay close to the shoreline. There would be someone who knew where we were and when to expect us back.

Probably the most common scenario that fits what you're asking about was my late friend Peter H. who would go around Lake Vermilion in the 70s and 80s before there were any charts let alone GPS. He had a 21' bowrider with a 200 HP stern drive. And from time to time he would hit a rock and damage his propulsion system to the point where it couldn't be repaired without hauling the boat. So he would paddle to shore, anchor or tie up, or try to drift to a dock if there was one. Vermilion is somewhat more built up now but portions are still extremely remote with no roads.

Once ashore, he would walk to the nearest house. If there was someone there, he would ask for help. If there was an unattended boat, he would borrow it and perhaps leave a note. Eventually he would get to a marina or resort where he could rent a boat and mobilize such further support as he needed. If he had borrowed a boat at some point, with permission or otherwise, he would return it with full fuel and some sort of token of thanks.

No one had radios or cell phones in those days.

Our expeditions to really remote areas e.g. Lake of the Woods during the off season involved larger parties with multiple boats, and radios, so we would look out for each other and be prepared for a tow or rescue.

A lot of it comes down to navigational and situational awareness. If you know where you are and what's around you both in the water and on land there are usually plenty of options. I can paddle or row or walk 10 miles if I have to and I think most reasonably fit people could do the same.

In places where there are boats everywhere people will come help you. I've towed, fixed other people's boats, jump started boats, many times; I've asked for help on land but not on the water.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 19:12   #32

Boat: Vancouver 27

I think the right outboard is the one you have spare parts for, know how to service, and can rely on as you would your inboard. Beyond that, a larger one sure opens up your options and the area you can explore once you get there.

In our case, we upgraded to a 9.8 tohatsu 2 stoke from a 3.3 Johnson and haven't looked back.

We still prefer the SUP boards for a dinghy if the conditions are right.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 02:33   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Thought about this thread as we went diving this morning. 3.7nm each way, two people, two lots of gear, no problem with the 15hp.
The 15hp allows this, I doubt the 9.8hp does.
Extra weight can be worked around, motor crane etc.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:27   #34

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Your question Reefmagnet doesn't have much to do with the size of the motor. they all run good until they don't.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
What's the contingency in these situations if/when the outboard breaks?
Always Buddy boating. unless it's only a mile or two.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 13:23   #36

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Your question Reefmagnet doesn't have much to do with the size of the motor. they all run good until they don't.
Pardon me? The poster claimed a big outboard on plane for two hours to go 10 miles....

Um, that's 3.3hp displacement values. A planing dinghy would go 30 miles in two hours. Try rowing back to the mothership in that scenario in a remote area without being able to holler for assistance.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 21:58   #37

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We have a 9.5 AB Lamina AL (95lb/43kg) and a Tohatsu 9.8B 2-stroke. With the standard 3-blade 8.5 pitch prop it planes with one person but bogs down with two or more. I’m bummed to hear about all these others who can plane with two, jealousy, sigh. I’m going to test a couple of lower pitch props to see if it helps. We’re usually two up, so planing for us with groceries or dive gear is important. I’m trying to avoid buying a larger engine.

In case anyone is interested, it turns out replacing the original propeller with a new one with the same pitch fixed our problem and we can now plane with two plus a half person of gear - doesn’t plane with three adults though. The original propeller had partially spun the hub, so was OK with low load but slipped with higher load. Who knew that the rubber part of the inner hub could be broken but still working for lower loads.

If we cruise with family more we will consider a lower pitched propeller to hopefully plane with three.

To cheap to change either the dinghy or the motor. Though I’d love an OC330 Tender and a 15hp 2-stroke.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 00:17   #38

In 2008 we sailed away from the US with a 15hp 4-stroke Honda to power our heavy Caribe RIB. It was only a few years old. In Panama, other cruisers advised us to buy a 2-stroke Yamaha at the Duty Free in Colon - 'You'll be glad you did; no one in the 3rd world can service those 4-strokes.' Did we listen? Nope.

By the time we got to American Samoa 6 months later, we finally thought we found someone to work on the Honda (which starting having issues almost as soon as we were out of Panama). The only outboard mechanic in Pago Pago admitted he didn't know much about 4 strokes, but he tried his best for two weeks while we rowed ourselves around the harbor. It did work a bit better after his efforts, but still had issues... hard to start, plus stalling at the most inopportune times.

Reaching Australia, we were fed up with the Honda and bought a 3hp 2-stroke Yamaha. It is so sweet; 8 years old, and has always started on the first pull (even this weakling wife can start it!). So light and easy for either us to grab and load onto the dink transom. Before we had it, we once left the dinghy on the beach at Frasier Island while we hiked to the perched lakes; when we returned many hours later, the dinghy was high and dry on the sand flats - probably 400 meters from the water. We thought we would die before got it re-floated with that Honda beast on it. The little Yamaha (plus dinghy wheels!) make beach landings a snap these days.

Within two months of getting the 3hp, we added a 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha because as many previous posters have said, it often nice to be able to plane for long distances or punch through boisterous seas in rough weather. It definitely adds a level of versatility to our 'car-less' life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8727.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	167626  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:23   #39

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
In 2008 we sailed away from the US with a 15hp 4-stroke Honda to power our heavy Caribe RIB. It was only a few years old. In Panama, other cruisers advised us to buy a 2-stroke Yamaha at the Duty Free in Colon - 'You'll be glad you did; no one in the 3rd world can service those 4-strokes.' Did we listen? Nope.

By the time we got to American Samoa 6 months later, we finally thought we found someone to work on the Honda (which starting having issues almost as soon as we were out of Panama). The only outboard mechanic in Pago Pago admitted he didn't know much about 4 strokes, but he tried his best for two weeks while we rowed ourselves around the harbor. It did work a bit better after his efforts, but still had issues... hard to start, plus stalling at the most inopportune times.

Reaching Australia, we were fed up with the Honda and bought a 3hp 2-stroke Yamaha. It is so sweet; 8 years old, and has always started on the first pull (even this weakling wife can start it!). So light and easy for either us to grab and load onto the dink transom. Before we had it, we once left the dinghy on the beach at Frasier Island while we hiked to the perched lakes; when we returned many hours later, the dinghy was high and dry on the sand flats - probably 400 meters from the water. We thought we would die before got it re-floated with that Honda beast on it. The little Yamaha (plus dinghy wheels!) make beach landings a snap these days.

Within two months of getting the 3hp, we added a 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha because as many previous posters have said, it often nice to be able to plane for long distances or punch through boisterous seas in rough weather. It definitely adds a level of versatility to our 'car-less' life.
That's experience speaking, I have almost identical setup and are having the same joy. The versatility of the two options is awesome, diving alot at the moment, the 15hp is on all the time, once I stop diving back to the little 3.6hp.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:39   #40

Boat: J/42

Last weekend, CraigsList provided me a 9.9 4-stroke Johnson (Suzuki) for the Zodiac 340. Oddly, I don't really notice the extra 30 pounds, yet. But it certainly is a joy, so far. Although my old motor was 50 years old and built on the philosophy that making noise, smoke and a little oil slick was just a patriotic duty. Hadn't planned on electric start, but there it is. Gives me a decadent little thrill every time I press the button.
Getting set up for spring scuba diving. May have a more experienced opinion in the fall. My understanding is that the only thing needed to upgrade this motor to 15 HP is to swap out the carburetor, so may give that a go if 9.9 won't do.

But... I can't really envision hanging this beast on the rail of my sailboat. Maybe drained and laid down on the bottom of the sail locker... which sounds like enough hassle that it would rarely happen.

*sigh* Guess I still have to put the old Evinrude back together. Can't leave it scattered all over the workbench.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:21   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

I sure like the idea of the 15 2 stroke but here in the US I just cannot find anything other that old relects on Craigs List. Anyone know how to buy one and shipped to us in Calif? My preference is a new motor to go with my new dink. I wont be in Mexico until early 2020 and need the boat for Catalina etc. until then.

Thanks all
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 14:15   #42

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We bought a used aluminum AB Lamina UL weighing in at 75lbs/34kg. It came with a Tohatsu 9.8hp 2-stroke and is rated for 6hp. Bought off of Craigslist near Annapolis, after stalking Craigslist for 6 weeks. We plain easily with a full dinghy at half throttle, but I may change out the 8 pitch prop for a 6 pitch to see if is less sensitive to throttle. WOT gets is rather too briskly on smooth water.

We cruised the Caribbean for four years with 15HP and 4HP Yamaha 2-strokes on a fat heavy 10' Caribe fiberglass RIB. The 4HP did not make that pig plane, but it was great for putting around. We did have to do more maintenance on th 4HP, but that was because it would sit unused for longer than it should hanging off our stern rail. The 15hp was a rock and is still in daily use, just not by us.

See above as to why we went with a lighter dinghy. Two of us can pick the AB up with the engine attached and carry it ashore. The Caribe with a 15hp was a drag, barely, for two men.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 14:21   #43

Boat: Tartan 37

Have 310 single floor RIB, we also use two outboards. Have a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke great motor and a 2 hp Honda, that's only 22lbs. The 9.8 planes two with gear, sometimes we can get three up. Use the Honda in small harbours, where you can't plane. We also keep the RIB light, no seat and minimal gear. In the Bahamas, the Yamaha is king and most have 15hp 2stroke. Hear good things and parts are available. We had to ship in a prop for the Tohatsu.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 14:28   #44

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Anyone know how to buy one and shipped to us in Calif? My preference is a new motor to go with my new dink. I wont be in Mexico until early 2020 and need the boat for Catalina etc. until then.
Have a look at 40 cfr 1068.301 for info on why this is hard; 2 cycle engines are not eligible for the certificate of conformity mentioned there.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 14:37   #45

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
I sure like the idea of the 15 2 stroke but here in the US I just cannot find anything other that old relects on Craigs List. Anyone know how to buy one and shipped to us in Calif? My preference is a new motor to go with my new dink. I wont be in Mexico until early 2020 and need the boat for Catalina etc. until then.

Thanks all
You can not legally buy a new one in Calif or go to Mexico and bring it back. Best bet find a cruiser who just came back to the states.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor, size