Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 04:14   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Dinghy Motor Size

I've opted for two outboards. A 15hp two stroke and a little 3.5hp tohatsu 2 stroke.

Mostly I use the little engine, it makes the dinghy easy to pull up the beach, sips fuel and is very easy to lift off and on. When I'm anchored out further or are going diving I use the 15hp.

I would not go 4 stroke unless I had to, I would not choose the 9.8hp over the 15 and I would choose yamaha over everything else, although my current 15hp is an old mariner that is brilliant.

Having the option of the small and big is a wonderful luxury, you get the best of both worlds.
daletournier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:04   #17

Boat: Valiant 40
Dinghy Motor Size

I would add to the discussion that it would help to narrow down your use case for the dink and motor. And the two major ones are 1) putting back and forth to the dinghy dock or beach and 2) ranging farther, like a few miles, to another cove or good diving spot.

Add to those what youíre going to be carrying and how easy it is to get your motor back up on the mothership.

I have a 9.5Ē hard bottom RIB with a Yammie 8hp two stroke. It will push just me like a scalded cat, faster than I should go except in glass flat water. It will plane two people comfortably, but not three.

I donít have a motor lift (yet) and donít have a sugar scoop, so I have to wrestle the motor onto the side deck and carry it back to the rail. Itís as heavy as I can manage for that process.

If youíre going to range far with a load, and have an easy way to get the motor up, go big. If not, consider a larger motor a potential handicap.
Old 17-03-2018, 05:17   #18

Boat: Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Yes the 9.9 weighs 20lbs less than the 15 Yamaha. I will also look into the Suzuki. Would love more feedback from the group on the Suzuki as that make a whole lot of sense.

Thanks

Just got the 15 hp Suzuki 4-stroke, price was $200 cheaper than the 15 2-stroke Yamaha that we bought in the Abaco 2years ago...it went with the boat we just sold but better check for parts for that Yamaha as they are getting harder to find here in the US...bought the Suzuki online from Ca. and shipping to the east coast was free,
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:07   #19

Boat: Tartan 40

Also, can search other threads but itís possible if you reprop a 9.8 down a inch or two of pitch youíll get better planing with light weight. Sure youíll top out at 15-20 kts instead of 25 but most donít want to go that fast anyway in a small rib except in glass calm
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 06:56   #20

Boat: Morgan 512

Reading the responses here you get a pretty good idea of who has actually cruised for any period of time.
The answer should be the 15hp. 2 stroke Yamaha. It is a good compromise for weight, cost , and performance. Parts and service are available worldwide, but you almost never need them. Change the plugs every couple years and the lower unit oil and it just runs on and on.
As for "carb./fuel problems" if you are reasonably careful with the fuel or put in line a water/fuel filter problems should not occur, if they do refer to the help available almost anywhere comment!
Slogging along with dive gear or groceries to "far out" anchorage is not fun in an underpowered dink. Add a little wind, chop or rain and you will be so glad to have the extra power.
Captainmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:41   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmay View Post
Reading the responses here you get a pretty good idea of who has actually cruised for any period of time.
The answer should be the 15hp. 2 stroke Yamaha. .......
Not sure if we fit into your 'actually cruised' category, but we use a Tohatsu 9.8 2 cycle on an AB9.6ul. Weight is far more important to me than being able to plane with 4 people. We plane fine when needed with the two of us plus gear.
Tohatsu builds the smaller outboard for many brands. Parts have been available in the places we've cruised, Central Am. Carib, S. Pacific.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 10:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not sure if we fit into your 'actually cruised' category, but we use a Tohatsu 9.8 2 cycle on an AB9.6ul. Weight is far more important to me than being able to plane with 4 people. We plane fine when needed with the two of us plus gear.
Tohatsu builds the smaller outboard for many brands. Parts have been available in the places we've cruised, Central Am. Carib, S. Pacific.
Ahh but you cheat with those light weight aluminum dinks The new aluminium boats have made a difference. Personally with a glass RIB I'd still prefer the 15 as it planes with 3 and gear. The biggest thing is waterline and at 9.5 feet we are sort of in the middle. A friend has a 10 footer with a 15 and he can plane with 4. I do like some of those new aluminum rib' s though, very nice.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 19:16   #23

Boat: Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmay View Post
The answer should be the 15hp. 2 stroke Yamaha. It is a good compromise for weight, cost , and performance. Parts and service are available worldwide, but you almost never need them. Change the plugs every couple years and the lower unit oil and it just runs on and on.
As for "carb./fuel problems" if you are reasonably careful with the fuel or put in line a water/fuel filter problems should not occur, if they do refer to the help available almost anywhere comment!
Slogging along with dive gear or groceries to "far out" anchorage is not fun in an underpowered dink. Add a little wind, chop or rain and you will be so glad to have the extra power.

I would have agreed with you until this year as we have had three 15 Yamahaís over the past 15 years, but recently parts have become extremely scarce here in the US...no cowling or mounts available in the US! Try to find a water pump...
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 20:34   #24

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

I have the same AB dinghy and for the past four years used 2,5 4 stroke Yamaha. Big boats and big motors are North American thing. You go to the caribbean where you see cruisers from all parts of the world that would use the 15 or 20HP outboards for their sailboat's auxiliary . My boat partner just completed a circumnavigation with that set up and never once complain about this little motor being to small . It would never put you in to plain, but why hurry? , are there to race other cruisers. Buy small in the states, and once you get to Mexico you can go bigger if you think you need a bigger motor.
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 15:33   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

As always allot of opinions and great information. A few interesting comments about Suzuki and the thought of fuel injection is appealing although Yamaha seems to mostly be the go to answer. Would like to know more about the Suzuki I think. As far as size, hoisting, use etc. We will use the dink for snorkeling, grocery runs, to the beach and to run out to that island over yaner for lunch so it would be nice to have the power when I want it. You can always go slow right. I do have a new set of Kato davits and hoist so as to save my back.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 15:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
I have the same AB dinghy and for the past four years used 2,5 4 stroke Yamaha. Big boats and big motors are North American thing. You go to the caribbean where you see cruisers from all parts of the world that would use the 15 or 20HP outboards for their sailboat's auxiliary . My boat partner just completed a circumnavigation with that set up and never once complain about this little motor being to small . It would never put you in to plain, but why hurry? , are there to race other cruisers. Buy small in the states, and once you get to Mexico you can go bigger if you think you need a bigger motor.
Well, there are lots of reasons for more HP, not just North America either. the Caribe was loaded with them when I was there for 3 years, as was Mexico. People fall into two categories:
1) They go into town from an anchorage and can putt-putt along slow no problem. (although if the wind starts blowing 25-30 you are going to be drenched by the time you and your groceries get back to the boat) They have no need for more HP and it works well and the light weight engine is nice to deal with.
2) Some of us explore with the dingy's in places the mother ship cant go. We may plane for 2 hours at high speed to get there 10 or more miles away. We snorkel, fish, spear and go where few others go.
Take your pick.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 16:53   #27

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Also, can search other threads but itís possible if you reprop a 9.8 down a inch or two of pitch youíll get better planing with light weight. Sure youíll top out at 15-20 kts instead of 25 but most donít want to go that fast anyway in a small rib except in glass calm

We have a 9.5 AB Lamina AL (95lb/43kg) and a Tohatsu 9.8B 2-stroke. With the standard 3-blade 8.5 pitch prop it planes with one person but bogs down with two or more. Iím bummed to hear about all these others who can plane with two, jealousy, sigh. Iím going to test a couple of lower pitch props to see if it helps. Weíre usually two up, so planing for us with groceries or dive gear is important. Iím trying to avoid buying a larger engine.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:10   #28

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Take a look at the Suzuki 15. It has fuel injection and will not have any trouble from ethanol gas while you're still in the states and at 98 lbs it's nearly 20 lbs lighter than the Yamaha. I bought one almost four years ago with no regrets. My Yamaha 15 had no end of carb problems. The passages in the small carbs are easily clogged and hard to clean. Suzuki's are getting pretty popular outside of the US so service is not too hard to find, not that I've needed any.
+1 for the Suzi 15 4stroke, I think it is the best outboard I have owned; and I have owned a few, from 1.2hp (a Tanaka) to 250hp.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:16   #29

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
2) Some of us explore with the dingy's in places the mother ship cant go. We may plane for 2 hours at high speed to get there 10 or more miles away. We snorkel, fish, spear and go where few others go.
Take your pick.
What's the contingency in these situations if/when the outboard breaks?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:17   #30

I run my 9.6 aluminum RIB with a 4HP yamaha 2stroke. Don't know about you, but I am not getting younger, this outboard I can handle and bring back to the rail even in rough weather. Regarding speed, couldn't care less, I am retired.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor, size