Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 06:26   #1

Boat: CS33
Diesel spill

We just experienced an onboard diesel fuel leak from the main supply pump. Fortunately none went overboard, and I'm actually glad I didn't install an automatic bilge pump! I estimate we lost about 20 liters into the boat bilge.

So, I pumped all the fuel into jerry cans and it will go to the local hazardous waste disposal this week. As far as I can tell all the actual liquid fuel has been captured in tanks or absorbent rag.

Now the problem is the smell. The entire boat reeks of diesel fuel. Linens and clothes and cushions are easy - I hope. A few cycles through the laundry for clothes and linen should do it. and some upholstery cleaner will hopefully deal with the cushions and seats.

I'm looking for suggestions as far as the bilge though. How have others dealt with cleaning the bilge after an oil or fuel spill? There is the odd drip here and there too. No matter how careful I tried to be handling tanks and hoses and stuff - I was constantly having to stop and sop up this drip or that.

God what a nightmare! Again I'm mostly thankful I didn't anoint my marina with oil... But any advice on the interior cleaning would be really appreciated.

dailymirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:26   #2

Boat: 42' Sportfish
Re: Diesel spill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
I'm looking for suggestions as far as the bilge though. How have others dealt with cleaning the bilge after an oil or fuel spill? There is the odd drip here and there too. No matter how careful I tried to be handling tanks and hoses and stuff - I was constantly having to stop and sop up this drip or that.

It'll likely take several successive cleanings.

Stop the drips. Then work on everything from top down with degreasers (Zep, etc.), then some normal household cleaners (Dawn and/or Ka-Boom or whatever.

-Chris

Old 22-08-2018, 09:10   #3

Boat: Morgan 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
We just experienced an onboard diesel fuel leak from the main supply pump. Fortunately none went overboard, and I'm actually glad I didn't install an automatic bilge pump! I estimate we lost about 20 liters into the boat bilge.

So, I pumped all the fuel into jerry cans and it will go to the local hazardous waste disposal this week. As far as I can tell all the actual liquid fuel has been captured in tanks or absorbent rag.

Now the problem is the smell. The entire boat reeks of diesel fuel. Linens and clothes and cushions are easy - I hope. A few cycles through the laundry for clothes and linen should do it. and some upholstery cleaner will hopefully deal with the cushions and seats.

God what a nightmare! Again I'm mostly thankful I didn't anoint my marina with oil... But any advice on the interior cleaning would be really appreciated.
Go to a plumbing and heating supply store and ask for the "oil spill smell eliminator" . I can not remember exactly how they describe it, but oil heat techs use it to kill the oil smell from the minor spills when working with oil heat furnaces.
Captainmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:17   #4

Boat: Antares 44i

We use a mix of 75% vinegar and 25% 409 or other degreaser / cleaner. Works well on most surfaces and helps with odor. Vinegar is available most places around the world so it makes a good degreaser last 4 times as long when cruising.
Old 27-08-2018, 08:39   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I find that "greased lightning" is very effective at cleaning up diesel and eliminating the odor.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 09:39   #6

Boat: CS33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
It'll likely take several successive cleanings.

Stop the drips. Then work on everything from top down with degreasers (Zep, etc.), then some normal household cleaners (Dawn and/or Ka-Boom or whatever.

-Chris
Thanks for the tip. Zep seems to work really well!

dailymirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel