Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 09:52   #61

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: Did you get rid of "everything"

Why is it that we spend so much of our youth and our middle age accumulating? Then all at once a light goes on and we realize we don't need, want or enjoy all that we have spent so much money and time in accumulating. Blessed are those who are minimalist. I have a boat for the summer, moveable. A RV for the winter, moveable. And a storage locker anchored not moveable. But I just can't get rid of so much of it. Alas my kids live on the other side of the nation so I can't unload on them. My former wife has her own problems. To sell, give away, or trash that is the question.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:01   #62

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Could it be that we all just have to much money? Go to a third world country and see how the folks get by. Ask them if they have $ to store their excess. Look at the great industry in storage lockers. Let's face it we are married to our stuff. And we have to much.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:04   #63

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Today's tools might be a laptop, editor, compiler, and wifi. Easy to take on a boat.
Agreed; a tool is a tool . . . whatever floats your boat!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:10   #64

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
Why is it that we spend so much of our youth and our middle age accumulating? Then all at once a light goes on and we realize we don't need, want or enjoy all that we have spent so much money and time in accumulating. Blessed are those who are minimalist.
Oh, I think the answer to this is pretty clear: “He who dies with the most stuff wins!” This cultural message is pounded into most of us incessantly, all the time. You can’t go to the crapper these days without being forced to stare at an ad for a truck or the latest ‘fix all’ pill. From the moment we’re born we’re surrounded by messages to buy, Buy, BUY!!

It’s no wonder most of us end up with way too much crap. It’s also why the self-storage business has seen such explosive growth. Even our burgeoning houses can’t contain all the junk. According to self-storage industry stats, one in 11 American households owns self-storage space—an increase of some 75 percent from 1995.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:20   #65

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh, I think the answer to this is pretty clear: “He who dies with the most stuff wins!” This cultural message is pounded into most of us incessantly, all the time. You can’t go to the crapper these days without being forced to stare at an ad for a truck or the latest ‘fix all’ pill. From the moment we’re born we’re surrounded by messages to buy, Buy, BUY!!

It’s no wonder most of us end up with way too much crap. It’s also why the self-storage business has seen such explosive growth. Even our burgeoning houses can’t contain all the junk. According to self-storage industry stats, one in 11 American households owns self-storage space—an increase of some 75 percent from 1995.
Did it ever occur to you Mike, money in itself has absolutely no value whatsoever, unless it is circulated? That is, providing you have money.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:22   #66

You're hanging onto stuff purely for nostalgia. You have the memory whether you have the stuff of not. This stuff only means something to YOU. Consider this.....what is going to happen to this stuff when you die? You are holding onto this so someone else can throw it out when you're gone.

Family heirlooms are best given to family. You don't need to be the keeper of family nostalgia. If nobody in the family wants it, then you're back to it only having a value to you. Everything with a monetary value should be sold. Anything with nostalgic value only to you can and should be pitched.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:29   #67

Excuse me for not reading all the replies.

When I decided to "take off" it took quite a while to make that happen. The decision was long in the making as I fitted out and upgraded the boat and its systems.

Then I had to close down my business(es) one was more complicated. I had a woodwork shop so I needed to deal with large stationary machinery, lots of portable tools and all manner of wood, plastic, laminates, metals, glues and so on. I sold stuff to my employees who carried on their own. Some I tossed out, some I stored. That was a big job and it wasn't a big shop either.

My architecture practice sort of came to a pause because of the high rate of interest. That killed building. But I had to finish the ongoing projects... I had more and more free time. When I was free of the business encumbrances I began to sell and mostly give away the rest of my stuff except one of a kind pieces and art. I think this took about 6 months or so and in the end I was left with a mattress. I gave my clothes, some furniture and kitchen stuff to a relief agency.

When I was done I had only what I was taking on board. I stored a bunch of stuff with my brother. That was it.

When I came back and returned to dirt I had to start allover again.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:56   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Did it ever occur to you Mike, money in itself has absolutely no value whatsoever, unless it is circulated? That is, providing you have money.
Uhmmm, sure … thanks... Although this wasn't really the point I was responding to, or making.

I agree, money has zero inherent value. It’s just a marker that can be exchanged for actual resources.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:59   #69

The paper stuff is good if you need to start a fire & need a little kindling.
KeriMoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:30   #70

I've started dumping stuff in anticipation of living aboard this coming June. I've got a little lock up for tools and dive gear. Everything else is going. There's a few personal nik naks from the kids n things but nothing that won't store in an 18"x18" box, duct taped up and kept in lock up. Got clothes that I've been keeping because I used to like them-gone! Anything not worn in the last ten months has gone. As much as it's difficult letting go of stuff once it's gone it's so liberating. Feeling almost 'zen' like and freedom is becoming more real. Bin it, you won't regret it lol.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 12:32   #71

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

KeriMoonbeam, we are working this process now. My kids are grown and, no surprise to me, they don't want most of my stuff. Once they and their roommates decorate their place they have more gifted furniture than they need. Where we are in Northern Virginia if it is not a tool or storage shelving then it is hard to give away, much less sell. Salvation Army ended up with an awful lot of our stuff. The china and silver I gave my daughters is on a shelf unopened. There seems to be a generational change where my adult children and their friends want to have fewer possessions and more experiences.

We sold the house in June 2016, bought our liveaboard sailboat in December 2016 and plan to move aboard before June 2017. Our apartment lease is done the end of June. Our expenses are being cut in half with each move. Our total possessions are going down much more.

Our goal was not to have land storage. I have backed off of that for a few beloved items and we will get a climate controlled 5'x5' unit. Given that, I'll also use the small rented storage area to store winter gear and some of the sails to give us more room on the boat. I am continuing to work and will keep my work clothes at the office and have them laundered.

Over time I expect we will stop using the storage unit, likely about the time we leave for a long cruise. It would be nice to sell the cars too.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:31   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Nancie and I are in the Jacksonville area and our boat is still with us here. Send me a PM when you're here and plan on boat shopping. We could enjoy being a resource in helping you buy wisely, marina choices, sailing, local destinations, etc.
Hudson Force, THANK YOU!!! I told my sister about your offer and she and I had similar reactions - just couldn't believe the generosity! You bet I'll PM you!! Really? You don't mind???? LOL!!
Right now, I understand there are NO houses here in Lincoln, NE for people wanting to buy. I've seen two houses on my block sell without ever having a sign in the yard. So, I think when I list it, I'd better be sure I can be out for a quick closing - with pleasure!
Right now, I've got a chance to visit the Keys for a little touring and introduction to life in the boating world - that's early April. After that, I think I'll come back, have the giant garage sale, donate, recycle, gift, throw away the rest and hop in the car and (Oh, yea, almost forgot!) let my office know I'm retiring! LOL! And head to Florida. If you don't hear from my with an update by the 3rd or 4th week in April, and you think of it, you might PM me - just in case I've somehow lost your contact info. I'll PM mine to you now.
I'm thrilled by your offer and LOVE the idea of looking at boats for sale with someone who has a clue about boats! I'd be lost without those with more experience. THANK YOU and YOUR WIFE!!
KeriMoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote