Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 11:08   #61

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Decadence

We just sailed from St. Croix to Grenada. I put up the two forward parts of our winter enclosure as splash/rain guards. It was decadent to be dry while adjusting the mainsheet during 3AM squalls.

We have vertical Dometic ice trays that make big cubes. In a Yeti cup they last two cocktails.

Our freezer, that we defrost every two weeks, is not cold enough for ice cream. I have a small Engel that could be used for ice cream, but that is where we keep beer. Beer wins.

Once I get our Rainman watermaker fully plumbed then that will be decadent. It's semi-portable now and takes work to set up. I have all the parts we need and we are in quarantine in Grenada for two weeks.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 14:42   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good one, sailorboy1, on the long, hot shower. I used to go backpacking with my kids. Water was precious.

Then I went cruising (some time later) on a boat that held only 50 gallons water. Water was precious.

At some point, I changed. I can't take a long, hot shower. Fresh water is too precious to waste. Dang! I just start feeling too guilty, and have to turn it off....

Cruising friends installed a 20/gal per hr. watermaker, and would use WM water to wash down the salt off their boat during passages! definitely decadent to me!

Ann
Old 17-07-2020, 15:08   #63

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We have a fair few of the items on the list, so I guess we are living decadently? We dont buy ice cream, but it's quite easy to make.
The items I miss the most aboard would be a wood fired pizza oven(that would be tough to mount on the rail) and a vehicle ashore wherever we happen to be. Although the walking has helped with fitness levels.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 15:09   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Decadence is dependent.
I’ve done the Army thing living in a tent in the desert, washing clothes in a wet weather bag and only having piss warm water to drink. I don’t care what you put in it to flavor it, piss warm water is horrible. I won’t choose to live like that, I will if I have to, but that’s surviving, not living.
I set out from the beginning to have unlimited water and power, now I’m somewhat realistic with both but don’t ration either.
Many openly squall when I say we go through 150 gls of water a week, but I keep hearing how many others run their high output watermakers and know that I’m not alone.
Ann, I’m not above washing salt off, I keep a hose on deck plumbed into the fresh water and will even wash off the anchor chain with fresh water, I think it’s keeping the chain from rusting. I have 300’ and almost never put out more than 100, so that’s 200 sitting in the locker at all times, if there is no salt it dries quick.

What I guess I would want on the next boat that I don’t have now is a king size walk around bed, but could live with a Queen, and an honest real enclosed shower, that I can fit in.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 15:16   #65

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
shower where you can run the water for what feels like "forever"
Hold the shower head over the drain until the water is warmer enough.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 16:21   #66

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have a fair few of the items on the list, so I guess we are living decadently? We dont buy ice cream, but it's quite easy to make.
The items I miss the most aboard would be a wood fired pizza oven(that would be tough to mount on the rail) and a vehicle ashore wherever we happen to be. Although the walking has helped with fitness levels.
this takes the prize so far i think !

cheers,
Old 17-07-2020, 19:36   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Have you seen these BBQs? Woodfired. Do wonderful pizza. And they come in boat-sized versions:

Old 17-07-2020, 20:49   #68

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Have you seen these BBQs? Woodfired. Do wonderful pizza. And they come in boat-sized versions:

I have not! Do you know the name, or have a link?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 00:26   #69

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

just spent few days alongside, with shore power & shore water, and found what we consider decadence is infinitely long hot showers 3 nights in a row (normally shower night is only every second night...)

cheers,
Old 18-07-2020, 02:39   #70

Quote:
That looks like a "Big Green Egg" but I have never seen one this small before.

We have a "Large" at home and we love it. Only downside I could see on a boat is the massive amounts of smoke if the wind is wrong and they do tend to get very very hot if you can't control the air flow. We can do pizza on ours easily hitting 700F.

ETA: They are also (the model we have) incredibly heavy. Not sure how easily it would store in harsh weather.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 02:49   #71

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Thank You Sailorboy1, really enjoyed this one, as it caused me to consider how different we all are, while attempting to be somewhat the same, in most ways.
Old 18-07-2020, 05:12   #72

Quote:
The items I miss the most aboard would be a wood-fired pizza oven (that would be tough to mount on the rail) and a vehicle ashore wherever we happen to be. Although the walking has helped with fitness levels.
A wood-fired pizza oven?

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?

Hahaha, LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:32   #73

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
That looks like a "Big Green Egg" but I have never seen one this small before.

We have a "Large" at home and we love it. Only downside I could see on a boat is the massive amounts of smoke if the wind is wrong and they do tend to get very very hot if you can't control the air flow. We can do pizza on ours easily hitting 700F.

So therefore, wouldn't the smaller one shown be a "LITTLE Green Egg?"

Problem solved! Please, no thanks, I do this for Free!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:42   #74
CLOD

Boat: none

I can accept that:

decadence = having a friendly boat in the anchorage that has a wood fired pizza oven
Old 18-07-2020, 06:08   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Indeed it is a Green Egg. They come in many sizes. A friend has a larger one and I've been mighty impressed with how it cooks. I've seen pics of boats mounting smaller ones, but they are heavy. It couldn't just be mounted on a stern rail.

Still, it would be a good wood fired pizza oven if you could manage the wood charcoal, the smoke and the weight.

https://biggreenegg.ca/

Tags
enc