Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 06:20   #76

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Decadence

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What I guess I would want on the next boat that I don’t have now is a king size walk around bed, but could live with a Queen, and an honest real enclosed shower, that I can fit in.

I guess I'll put myself down for those items. 2 real showers on my boat (1 tiny, 1 decent size). Not quite walk around queen forward, walk around king aft. The ice maker is handy too.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:28   #77

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We have a fair few of the items on the list, so I guess we are living decadently? We dont buy ice cream, but it's quite easy to make.
The items I miss the most aboard would be a wood fired pizza oven(that would be tough to mount on the rail) and a vehicle ashore wherever we happen to be. Although the walking has helped with fitness levels.

We also make ice cream and you don't need any special equipment (besides a freezer to make it.

Our version of a wood fired pizza is the Magma grill w/a pizza stone and a small container of wood chips. Gives it the slight smokey taste, while still maintaining the heat control w/propane.

We use the wood chips to smoke fish also.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:33   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Indeed it is a Green Egg. They come in many sizes. A friend has a larger one and I've been mighty impressed with how it cooks. I've seen pics of boats mounting smaller ones, but they are heavy. It couldn't just be mounted on a stern rail.

Still, it would be a good wood fired pizza oven if you could manage the wood charcoal, the smoke and the weight.

https://biggreenegg.ca/
The other minor inconvenience is that it requires lump charcoal. A 9kg bag would be used up pretty quick if it didn't get too damp / wet first.

We will miss ours at sea but there is no way even I would / could consider that anywhere near practical. Decadent though? Absolutely.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:39   #79

Boat: Hunter 410

Surprised no one has mentioned electric winches yet. I just push a button, and up goes the main! That's peak decadence if you ask me...

Also second air conditioning, what a luxury!

Too hot here right now to consider electric blankets, but come winter... I may need to get in on that! Are they battery powered? I remember having one at my folks' land house, but it had to plug into the a/c outlet...

I've heard tell of hand-powered espresso devices. If they really work that would also go on my list of most decadent additions

As for the rumor of a boat where everything works and nothing leaks, I flat out refuse to believe that level of decadence is physically possible on this earth. No way!
Old 18-07-2020, 07:02   #80

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

When I was playing with big boats several of the Captains came up with two new ways to race the boats. #1 was to empty the ice makers. Then the first one to make a frozen margarita was the winner. #2 was to turn off the ac and completely open the boat. Then the crews raced to close up the boats and the first one to record 65 degrees in the main salon was the winner. Much more fun than changing sails and yelling!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:11   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

Broadband wifi.

Practically eliminated any need for cruising here.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:24   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

How about a self refilling ATM?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 08:37   #83

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We also make ice cream and you don't need any special equipment (besides a freezer to make it.

Our version of a wood fired pizza is the Magma grill w/a pizza stone and a small container of wood chips. Gives it the slight smokey taste, while still maintaining the heat control w/propane.

We use the wood chips to smoke fish also.
That is our current plan for this season. The green egg looks interesting, but heavy and hard to find a place to mount. I'm also not too sure how long it would survive in the salt water environment.
The new cooking toy for this season is the gosun solar oven. Found in a random grocery store clearing out for 25 bucks!! Buying that felt a little decadent
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 09:17   #84

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I've just finished sewing Alcantara seat cushions for the dinghy. Does that count?
I'm designing new cockpit cushions and your post caught my eye. Wow. What about this fabric is worth the price??

As for decadence for us? My husband wants a dishwasher. I fought it until the thought occurred "What? Are you stupid?"

After living aboard for six years there's not much I want that I don't have. I remember when I first wanted to learn to sail I would look at the magazines and see the women eating bonbons and buffing their nails in a bikini.

In six years no bonbons
no buffing
no bikini.

I guess relaxation time is the most decadent thing I am missing...Oh and a bath, definitely a bathtub.
Old 19-07-2020, 15:18   #85

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

It's interesting how the "decadence metric" changes as your boat ownership evolves.

With our first catamaran, outboard powered, we thought two burner stove with oven, propane refrigerator, and showers (though not hot) was big stuff. Then I added a propane water heater...really big! A 300w inverter to power the kids' nebulizer...weren't we cool!

Next boat, kept moving on up.

But the first thing, long ago, that was really decadent...a paper towel holder!
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 16:05   #86

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I'm designing new cockpit cushions and your post caught my eye. Wow. What about this fabric is worth the price??

As for decadence for us? My husband wants a dishwasher. I fought it until the thought occurred "What? Are you stupid?"

After living aboard for six years there's not much I want that I don't have. I remember when I first wanted to learn to sail I would look at the magazines and see the women eating bonbons and buffing their nails in a bikini.

In six years no bonbons
no buffing
no bikini.

I guess relaxation time is the most decadent thing I am missing...Oh and a bath, definitely a bathtub.
for me so far ultimate decadence (defined as wasteful, pointless luxury) is still the wood fired pizza oven...but a full sized bathtub is coming a close second !

cheers,
Old 19-07-2020, 16:49   #87

Boat: 2021 NEEL 47 (Hull #30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
toy for this season is the gosun solar oven. Found in a random grocery store clearing out for 25 bucks!! Buying that felt a little decadent

Wait. Where in the heck did you find that? Those things are hundreds of dollars, and totally on my decadence wishlist!
SVNagambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 17:36   #88

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

It was in Atlanta, just picking up some beer for dinner at a local grocery store, and there was 3 sitting there marked 25 bucks! Me and my buddy, a fellow sailor, each grabbed one.
After we left I was kicking myself for not getting the 3rd as well!
As we were about 8 hours from my boat, and on a flight the next morning home, my buddy had to hold on to mine. They have been playing with theirs and love it!
I can't wait to get back and start playing with it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 18:45   #89

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

For me, decadence depends on location and season. New England in late fall? Irish Sea in April? That Eberspacher heater is truly decadent.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 19:07   #90

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Decadence?

I was once aboard a large yacht that had a hot tub on the foredeck.

...And, some even have swimming pools. A singlehander friend of ours was offered to have his boat put in the swimming pool while he went on a motor cruise across an ocean on one trip.

The world's really amazing.

But, I really get it about the ice cubes. We cruised a year with no refrigeration, and getting it soon came to the top of the list. During that time, we learned to make drinks that tasted okay w/o ice.

So, I'd have to say my down pillow is decadent.

Ann

Wait you have a down pillow? How do you keep it dry?

Tags
enc