Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 12:36   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Dealing with galley scraps at anchor?

The whole orange peel thing had me scratching my head. Of course it will bio-degrade. If it can rot, it can degrade in the environment. Maybe it won’t be eaten by gulls, but it certainly will be eaten by micro-critters.

Anyway, according to the Pocket Guide to Marine Debris (published by The Ocean Conservancy), orange and banana peels take two to five weeks “till it’s gone”, which I assume means fully decompose. Interestingly, they say an apple core takes two months to decompose, and a cigarette filter takes one to five years!

Looking at debris collected from coastal beaches over a five year period (1996 - 2000), no organics make it into the top 10 list. In fact the number one item collected is cigarettes/cigarette filters (22%), followed by bags at 13%.
Old 21-11-2016, 12:49   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If it is organic feed the fish.
Often a great idea, but be aware of your local environment. If your in a nutrient rich area where occasional algae blooms deplete oxygen and cause fish kills; then, keep your organic wastes out of the water.

I agree with Cadence for most locations, but not all.
Old 21-11-2016, 12:56   #63

Ummmm.
Not sure we would appreciate visits from many of the above in our harbour.
Maybe you should consider what the rules/regulations are. Please don't use old diesel and burn aluminium drink cans here please.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 14:46   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Rains View Post
Citrus peelings (oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit) don't biodegrade in salt water. They are toxic to most fish and marine wildlife. The citrus peels float forever, end up on some pristine beach where they become almost as problematic as plastic litter or Styrofoam peanuts. Citrus garbage is one of the organic things we don't toss overboard - even on high seas.
"Forever"? I can understand them taking a bit longer, but forever is an awfully long time. Do you have a reference for that?

Ive spent a lot of time beach combing in a lot of venues and found loads of plastics and styrofoam of course, but dont recall anywhere that citrus was a problem. Where might that be?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 14:58   #65

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
"Forever"? I can understand them taking a bit longer, but forever is an awfully long time. Do you have a reference for that?

Ive spent a lot of time beach combing in a lot of venues and found loads of plastics and styrofoam of course, but dont recall anywhere that citrus was a problem. Where might that be?
Exactly. Which is why I posted that reference to actual data. It’s not a problem … at least not according to the people who make it their mission to protect the ocean’s ecosystems.
Old 21-11-2016, 15:01   #66

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

"Forever" is a relative term in this application.
Citrus, whilst degradable, floats forever or for weeks and no creature living in Sydney Harbour or flying the skies above it will touch the stuff.
Since Union Carbide were drawn and quartered for dumping in Sydney Harbour quite some time ago, the place has become almost pristine, given that it is a huge & largely commercial body.
Individuals throwing anything off ferries or whatever into our waterways can be almost hung.
Because the laws are so strict it is clear that they are adhered to.
Yes, there are transgressors who get away with their polluting but from what I read above Aussie waters are damned good.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 15:06   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
"Forever" is a relative term in this application.
Citrus, whilst degradable, floats forever or for weeks and no creature living in Sydney Harbour or flying the skies above it will touch the stuff.
Since Union Carbide were drawn and quartered for dumping in Sydney Harbour quite some time ago, the place has become almost pristine, given that it is a huge & largely commercial body.
Individuals throwing anything off ferries or whatever into our waterways can be almost hung.
Because the laws are so strict it is clear that they are adhered to.
Yes, there are transgressors who get away with their polluting but from what I read above Aussie waters are damned good.
As others have posted, including me, venue has a lot to do with whether you toss or not. A busy urban harbor like Sydney is an undrstandable no dump area, but if Im in a remote location (my preference) with good tidal flow and few if any other boats, I dont see a problem.
Old 21-11-2016, 15:19   #68

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
IF I'M MORE THAN 3 DAYS from a normal municipal rubbish receptacle, AND AM IN OPEN WATERS......i.e. not in Sydney Harbour etc, then if I have previously eaten it or could have eaten it, and it doesn't float (orange peels) and if currents or tides will not take it into enclosed waters then I will be tossing it into the drink, which for me is usually 100 ft of water or more AND I am OFFSHORE at the time (i.e. not in any harbour or bay, not near an estuary mouth but am coasting).
Chicken carcasses go discreetly over the side after dark if in a harbour and people are swimming at least a few hundred yards away.
Clearly in my post #24, I'm pretty much where you are Belize.
Cheers.
Old 21-11-2016, 22:11   #69

Boat: wanting a cat

orange peels, banana peels, vegetable matter can be ground to pulp with blender, nutri-bullet, etc.

Throw it overboard and something will eventually benefit from it...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 22:59   #70

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi SeaDreaming, Please respect all world waterways. This is not about night time dumping or remote area burning. I store astern whatever the seas will not take nicely. If smell or mold intrudes, then a salt water rinse soon fixes. Please do the right thing for all waterways.
Great question and your good care is evident. Coffee grounds "only" are fine anywhere and almost anytime. Cheers A.
Alastair A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 23:02   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
orange peels, banana peels, vegetable matter can be ground to pulp with blender, nutri-bullet, etc.

Throw it overboard and something will eventually benefit from it...

meatservo
By your theory, every boat which could potentially throw a citrus peel overboard has a Nutribullet. My Nutribullet is for frozen strawberry smoothies only.
And in my neck of the woods if you were seen doing such a thing you'd find yourself bieng hollered at, complete with expletives and rightly so.
With respect, your world and mine are in different parts of the planetary system.
So you think that all boats have a/c 120 or 240 volts. Huh?
Wow.
Old 21-11-2016, 23:51   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It appears to me that according to some, the only environmentally correct method is to eat everything and then keep your own waste in a holding tank until you can dump far offshore.

So how long does it take to digest a whole watermelon?[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 02:45   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It appears to me that according to some, the only environmentally correct method is to eat everything and then keep your own waste in a holding tank until you can dump far offshore.

So how long does it take to digest a whole watermelon?[emoji4]
Not sure on the digestion time, but the pee factor is pretty good for singlehanding wakeups!

Ann

PS. Remember "The Water Method Man"?
Old 22-11-2016, 03:12   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
OK, read my question in post #7 and answer it.
Why me?

“... 1.7.7: Releasing small quantities of food into the sea for the specific purpose of fish feeding in connection with fishing or tourist operations
should not be considered a discharge of garbage in the context of Annex V...”
http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Enviro...0Annex%20V.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 03:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Why me?

“... 1.7.7: Releasing small quantities of food into the sea for the specific purpose of fish feeding in connection with fishing or tourist operations
should not be considered a discharge of garbage in the context of Annex V...”
http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Enviro...0Annex%20V.pdf
Feeding fish for fishing, IMO legal, and if done regularly while at anchor for a long time (in an appropriate venue), has the advatage of building up your own little "aquaculture" operation...dinner is waiting to be caught right under the boat.

On galley up cats, the galley sink drain normally exits under the bridge deck and fish tend to hang out there waiting for scraps from washing dishes. They then dart out to catch the occassional scraps tossed off the stern...good conditiong for a hook up.

Tags
anchor, galley