Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 08:45   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Dealing with galley scraps at anchor?

Thanks for chiming in Z. Thankfully we keep our waste pretty small. We don't drink soda and very rarely beer, very little canned foods and we don't use paper towels. Plastic? We do have a few storage containers and zip lock bags. The bags get washed and reused until they no longer function.
But coffee grounds....ee gahds we have tons! No filters though. I really hate using paper as a "disposable" item. Especially from virgin tree sources (most us paper goods).
Old 21-11-2016, 09:10   #47

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Original post:"I know, I know, I'm making too much of it! Bury the mess on shore? What to do?"

And 3 pages later you find out that we all have the same questions! From what I've read it disposal really is dependent on where we are. Thanks for posting this.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:17   #48

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Whatever.

I can tell you that in crowded anchorages in the Med, it isn't unusual to see full watermelons, melon rinds, bunches of bananas, and bags of oranges floating around. I don't like it.
But then the locals also dump their dead dogs, cats and children in also!! Have watched carcasses float by me in the Sweet Water Canal, and I was not off shore!! And this signal flown from a pole on a house means you have a female virgin for sale.
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:18   #49

Boat: Casacde 36

I'm with you. We cut galley scrap up to small size to hasten decomposition. Coffee grounds go over the side. Just use something that seems to have atrophied, in these PC times; discretion.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:31   #50
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Honestly, I have been searching on CF past posts for an answer but I not really coming up with what I am seeking.

How do you deal with galley scraps / oganic waste at anchor? I am such a cruising newbie!

Obviously the goal is to mitigate odor and bugs but "chuck it" sounds like fouling your own space if you are anchored out. A two week stint can generate a lot of scraps even if you are fairly efficient and don't waste food. Of particular concern for me is spent coffee grounds. I drink a lot of coffee! I use a french press so I don't have to worry about paper filters but storing the wet grounds doesn't seem right either.

I know, I know, I'm making too much of it! Bury the mess on shore? What to do?
The correct answer is to be legally compliant, environmentally conscious, and respectful to those you share the water with.

If your refuse will decompose quickly (most food scraps) it is fine to discharge overboard, where legally compliant, and unless this could detract from the enjoyment of other boaters.

The last thing anyone wants to see when swimming, diving, or snorkelling, is someone's refuse in the water or on the bottom.

Treat the water and other boaters with respect, and you will always be on the right track.

As for coffee grounds, no real issue otherwise, except it may keep the fish awake at night. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 09:43   #51
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix Bay View Post
But then the locals also dump their dead dogs, cats and children in also!! Have watched carcasses float by me in the Sweet Water Canal, and I was not off shore!! And this signal flown from a pole on a house means you have a female virgin for sale.
You watched a child's body float by you once - nasty. I haven't seen dogs, cats, and babys dumped overboard yet but then, fold out lazyboys can travel to more far out places.
Old 21-11-2016, 09:54   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

small amounts daily donot bother anything. fish eat it all. crabs and lobsters eat what fishies donot consume.
i judge my tossability by the time it takes all of what i put into the water to be consumed within 3 minutes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:27   #53

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Only organic scraps I have are spud and carrot peelings, banana and avocado skins, salad residue, orange peel, apple cores, etc, none of which biodegrades readily in 8*C water, and most of which floats. Never seen a fish show any interest in any of it. Never dumped in small caletas, saved for when underway.

Virtually no meat scraps as a very high percentage of the meat consumed on board is vacuum packed and boneless. Only time 'chicken con bone' comes aboard is a cooked chicken before sailing.... saves on galley work for the first day or so at sea... carcass invariably goes o/board in deep water.

What is an issue is leftover grains of rice in Vindaloo juice .... I just chuck it after the meal regardless of where we are but I'm sure there is a UN Resolution about it being hazardous waste etc.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:32   #54

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
According to Annex V of MARPOL disposal of waste food is only allowed at a minimum distance of 12 nautical miles from shore. Any waste disposed into the sea has to be able to pass through a screen of mesh size no larger than 25mm.
In addition to the 12 mile rule, no food waste is to be disposed in special protected areas and at or near any offshore installations.

Just saying.

OK, read my question in post #7 and answer it.
Old 21-11-2016, 10:34   #55

Boat: Piver, Mariner 26, Serena Salida

Citrus peelings (oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit) don't biodegrade in salt water. They are toxic to most fish and marine wildlife. The citrus peels float forever, end up on some pristine beach where they become almost as problematic as plastic litter or Styrofoam peanuts. Citrus garbage is one of the organic things we don't toss overboard - even on high seas.
Pat Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:41   #56

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Discretion and common sense should prevail. If it's biodegradable it can go overboard, but show some discretion. Cut up the fruit skins and bigger pieces - easier for the seagulls while still floating. And don't throw overboard in anchorages or just outside them. There's a lot of places around here where more garbage on islands is not welcome or easily disposed of when all mashed together. We keep everything inc coffee grounds in a compost pail for suitable overboard discharge - and yogurt containers for the extra if we're staying longer. Fish/prawn remains go overboard at the earliest opportunity to minimize the smell - fish die in the ocean, don't they?
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:43   #57

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You watched a child's body float by you once - nasty. I haven't seen dogs, cats, and babys dumped overboard yet but then, fold out lazyboys can travel to more far out places.
I didn't say dumped OVERBOARD, just dumped in or put another way 'disposed of'. Usually from the bridge about 1/2 km upstream from my guard post. And it was not just once, but almost a weekly occurrence. I also have photographic proof of women dumping their household's night soil into the canal, while just down stream ladies are on the bank doing laundry, while next is doing dishes and the third is collecting drinking water!! I may be in a LAZYBOY now but yes, have traveled far and wide in 80 + years and not always in a LAZYBOY.
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 10:54   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Can't really say, but I suspect apples sink.
Who'eat a banana skin, or orange peel.
God Almighty, my conscience nudges me if I spit even an orange pip overboard.
But then.....I ain't normal.
Bloody Catholic Church !!!!!
Take it you've never fished carp? Anything with a scent is food. Plenty of other fish will eat anything as well, smell not required.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 11:46   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

put citrus peels in your citronella tiki torch oil. it is mineral oil and good for your wood.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 12:01   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If it is organic feed the fish.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, galley