Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2016, 16:00   #136

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Dealing with galley scraps at anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post

Since Union Carbide were drawn and quartered for dumping in Sydney Harbour quite some time ago, the place has become almost pristine, given that it is a huge & largely commercial body.
It's a beautiful harbour, only not quite "pristine" yet. Since you're a visitor, you might not know that you're not supposed to consume any fish caught west of the harbour bridge and only up to 150g per month from east of the bridge.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...arbour-seafood

But I'm with you, don't toss anything overboard in enclosed waters.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 16:49   #137

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
It's a beautiful harbour, only not quite "pristine" yet. Since you're a visitor, you might not know that you're not supposed to consume any fish caught west of the harbour bridge and only up to 150g per month from east of the bridge.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...arbour-seafood

But I'm with you, don't toss anything overboard in enclosed waters.
G'day Heinz.
No Mate, not a visitor, Sydney born 'n bred. Probably was on my Uncle Roys commercial fishing boat as a 5 year old 65 years ago. It was berthed in Duck Creek very close to Parramatta rd Granville.
Am presently in Blackwattle Bay.
Despite the state government buying out the commercial fishermen after the Union Carbide disaster, many families lost their livlihoods.
And when I see people throwing stuff, any stuff, into our harbour I go er.....ballistic.
Cheers Brian.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:28   #138

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Honestly, I have been searching on CF past posts for an answer but I not really coming up with what I am seeking.

How do you deal with galley scraps / oganic waste at anchor? I am such a cruising newbie!

Obviously the goal is to mitigate odor and bugs but "chuck it" sounds like fouling your own space if you are anchored out. A two week stint can generate a lot of scraps even if you are fairly efficient and don't waste food. Of particular concern for me is spent coffee grounds. I drink a lot of coffee! I use a french press so I don't have to worry about paper filters but storing the wet grounds doesn't seem right either.

I know, I know, I'm making too much of it! Bury the mess on shore? What to do?
In the bin.

The more crap you drain from the sink then the quicker you'll damage your bottom job adjacent the through hull.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:32   #139

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi everyone. I live in West Ryde withis 1km of Union Carbide Factory site. I remember well. They use to make defoliants (Agents orange blue and white) for the war in Vietnam. My mum, an academic scientist, has passed from her research into these chemicals and this manufacturing and dumping. I ask for respect please, for all waterways. Regards. A
Alastair A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:45   #140

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair A View Post
Hi everyone. I live in West Ryde withis 1km of Union Carbide Factory site. I remember well. They use to make defoliants (Agents orange blue and white) for the war in Vietnam. My mum, an academic scientist, has passed from her research into these chemicals and this manufacturing and dumping. I ask for respect please, for all waterways. Regards. A
It's almost laughable that the stuff I saw bieng sprayed out of DC3's as I trudged around Vietnam was probably dioxin made by Union Carbide in Rhodes (OZ).
They told us it was insecticide......all crap.
It was me, on this thread, who raised "orange peel" and nothing eats the stuff, sea gulls sure don't, and it floats for weeks
It defies my comprehension how people can love their boats/the lifestyle but still toss anything into the (enclosed) waters.
I guess that the definition of "GRUB" is an open one.
Old 23-11-2016, 18:08   #141

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
I can tell you that in crowded anchorages in the Med, it isn't unusual to see full watermelons, melon rinds, bunches of bananas, and bags of oranges floating around. I don't like it.
We have never seen this sort of thing and we spend our time in the busy anchorages of the Balearics. Yes, occasionally the odd melon rind, or orange peel, but they are few & far between.

Our bio-degradeables that sink all go overboard whenever we are at sea. The rest waits until we reach garbage bins on land.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 18:10   #142

Quote:
It's almost laughable that the stuff I saw bieng sprayed out of DC3's as I trudged around Vietnam was probably dioxin made by Union Carbide in Rhodes (OZ).
They told us it was insecticide......all crap.
It was me, on this thread, who raised "orange peel" and nothing eats the stuff, sea gulls sure don't, and it floats for weeks
It defies my comprehension how people can love their boats/the lifestyle but still toss anything into the (enclosed) waters.
I guess that the definition of "GRUB" is an open one.
+1, I've lost two more close Veteran friends in the last 6 months, cancer caused by the orange, that damn war and agent orange is still killing us. So you were a jungle trudger also? grunt?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 18:14   #143
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

GRUB is an interesting choice of word....
Many years ago, crossing from Hawaii to Micronesia, on a 200 ft exploration live aboard dive yacht, our Guests requested that we double bag all our garbage and store on the foredeck, till it could get offloaded properly.
28 guests/18 crew

I complied and we built a box to accommodate the bags

By the 2nd week, the smell was ripe, but I was amazed at the number of flies that congregated there......(we had stopped at a few pristine atols to explore.)

By the time the maggots/Grubs started pouring out of the box and onto the foredeck... The guest were asking where mid Ocean, we could offload this stinking crawling mess.

The point I am making, is you have to do what is practical, depending on your situation.... not what some armchair purist dictates.

To be honest, I now do what the locals do but with usually a lot more delacatessé as I am a guest in their harbour.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 18:31   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
+1, I've lost two more close Veteran friends in the last 6 months, cancer caused by the orange, that damn war and agent orange is still killing us. So you were a jungle trudger also? grunt?
Yep, a Grunt. Booby trap/AK 47 fodder.
Old 23-11-2016, 18:36   #145

Quote:
Yep, a Grunt. Booby trap/AK 47 fodder.
yup, grist for the mill, always a grind. My feet still hurt. LOL
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 18:50   #146

Quote:
IF I'M MORE THAN 3 DAYS from a normal municipal rubbish receptacle, AND AM IN OPEN WATERS......i.e. not in Sydney Harbour etc, then if I have previously eaten it or could have eaten it, and it doesn't float (orange peels) and if currents or tides will not take it into enclosed waters then I will be tossing it into the drink, which for me is usually 100 ft of water or more AND I am OFFSHORE at the time (i.e. not in any harbour or bay, not near an estuary mouth but am coasting).
Chicken carcasses go discreetly over the side after dark if in a harbour and people are swimming at least a few hundred yards away.
Pelagic, I agree with you that practicality must often override propriety.
But frankly speaking, I have probably have greater tolerance for the short grubs than the taller type.
The wriggly ones are more easily gotten rid of whereas the others are more permanent and whilst they could change they are more like leopards.
Old 25-11-2016, 19:45   #147

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
G'day Heinz.
No Mate, not a visitor, Sydney born 'n bred. Probably was on my Uncle Roys
Sorry about that, Brian, I was just going by your signature saying "around NSW" and "departing Sydney". It sounded like you were passing by.

Quote:
And when I see people throwing stuff, any stuff, into our harbour I go er.....ballistic.
Understandably so. Hope to see you out on the water one day, it's a beautiful weekend right now!

I'll be out there again tomorrow, today I need fix a few more things and work on the wind vane.

But back to the topic of galley scraps now...

Interesting tidbits about citrus peels. Yet I wouldn't stick them in lamp oil first: one, there are usually lots more peels than you'd need, two, what are you going to do with the peels after they are soaked with kerosene?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 20:20   #148

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Sorry about that, Brian, I was just going by your signature saying "around NSW" and "departing Sydney". It sounded like you were passing by.

Understandably so. Hope to see you out on the water one day, it's a beautiful weekend right now!

I'll be out there again tomorrow, today I need fix a few more things and work on the wind vane.

Interesting tidbits about citrus peels. Yet I wouldn't stick them in lamp oil first: one, there are usually lots more peels than you'd need, two, what are you going to do with the peels after they are soaked with kerosene?
I missed the part about orange peels in kerosene. A better option, imo, is to scrape off the white pith, cut into 1/8 wide strips and candy the things! Just eat as a snack! Very tasty and little waste or litter.
Old 25-11-2016, 20:37   #149

Quote:

Scraping orange peels for oil.....would you need more than a thousand peels or fewer than that.
I have enough trouble getting motivated to do the thousand jobs I have without squeezing oil from peels.
But I think my 'tree hugger' cousin in Katoomba would like the idea...I'll put it to her.

I'm presently in Black Wattle Bay having plywood cut by Leichardt Timber & Hardware.
Hienz, what colour is your boat? Round bilge or chine?
Old 27-11-2016, 06:16   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
... The "my little bit" solution does all of squat but it's easier to berate someone for throwing a chicken bone in the water than to rebuild the local waste water treatment plant...
I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.
I can do my little bit, and we can (communally) also do the big things.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, galley