Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2008, 15:33   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Custom Mattress Sources

I know this may not be the appropriate area, but let's face it us live-aboards expect a little more out of our mattress. we've currently got a foam mattress I trimmed down with an electric carving knife.

More specifically we would like to get a tempur-pedic mattress or one of the knock offs, has anyone actually ordered from some place they can recommend? I found several places on google, but a few of them look a little hoaky, so a recommendation would be nice.

Thanks
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 16:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I bought a Tempurpedic from Sleep Train. I have no idea if Sleep Train is a regional store. BTW, a Tempurpedic mattress although expensive, is some of the best money I have ever spent.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 18:12   #3

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Latitude- we thought we had a pretty good innersping mattress when we moved aboard. Then we purchased a new mattress, and the difference is phenomenal. We opted to go with latex foam, as we had been informed that the memory foam mattresses could tend to be 'hot' in the tropics. No first hand experience... just comments made to us. We had also tried a latex foam mattress at a boat show, and found it to be quite comfortable.

'Handcrafted Mattresses' appears to be a major player in the custom boat mattress arena. We found a local mattress company that custom made our mattress for less than the 'Handcrafted'. Not to downplay 'Handcrafted', in that many folks have said that their product was the best thing they've done. We're quite happy with the one made by the local company.... we had a pillow top added as well as a 'damp-proof' lower jacket to keep condensation moisture out of the foam. (another thing about latex foam is that it is mildew/mold resistant... not sure about memory foam).

We placed a 2" thick slab of memory foam over the top of the works... for a bit of added comfort and to cover the seam between the two halves of the mattress. We went to a local "Linens & Things" and found a memory foam with ventilation... our hopes is that it remains cool.

Again, I haven't slept on a temerpedic mattress... they may be the best around... but I found that latex foam with a memory foam pad, custom made by a local company, to be extremely comfortable. And it appears to be well suited for a marine environment.

Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 04:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Visco-Elastic Foam Mattress Comparison:
Temperflow™, which claimed to offer a ventilation system to keep you cooler, while comparing in feel, support and comfort to the Tempur-Pedic® brand.
The Temperflow is a trademark of Relief-Mart, Inc. Tempur-Pedic is a registered trademark of Dan-Foam A/S Corporation. We don't sell either the Tempur-Pedic or Temperflow brands. The information on this site with regard to Temperflow and Tempur-Pedic mattress brands is strictly for comparison purposes.

Goto:
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 06:32   #5

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Hand crafted mattress.

Love my HCM. They came out measure for the boat and when delivered it fit perfectly. It is guaranteed no mold or mildew and is water proof on the bottom and sides. It is similar to a tempopedic and had a great mattress topper.

We live on ours while cruising for 2 1/2 years and loved it every time we slept.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 08:14   #6

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Our main cabin bed was also made by the Handcrafted Mattress Company:
HANDCRAFT MATTRESS COMPANY
It's wonderful!

They custom fit a solution to our needs as we couldn't give up a lot of vertical space for a 10 inch mattress. Ours ended up 7 inches thick and is VERY comfortable.

We have a Duxiana in our vacation home and the HMC is almost as comfy!
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:38   #7

Just so I know what I am loooking at what dod you guys pay ballpark from HCM. They look like very nice mattresses.
Old 30-01-2008, 15:02   #8

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Only 2 boat units ($2,000) - worth every penny
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 17:40   #9

Perfect, I had figured on at least that much, the tempurpedics are $2k non-custom
Old 14-10-2013, 06:27   #10

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
Re: Custom Mattress Sources

I have had a HMC for about 15 years, 10 years of which I lived aboard. It was the best money I have spent on the boat. I am now, after 15 years, considering getting it refurbished simply because of some wear on the top surface and I would like to upgrade the top (a topper I guess its called). A new one does cost a little under $2k...just priced one at the Annapolis Boat Show.
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 14:55   #11

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

We had a custom mattress for our Hunter made by Marinecraft. It has a 2" layer of "memory" foam over a 6" foam base. It's approximately king-sized. In 2009, it cost $1400. Very comfortable - the only thing I think we'd do different is have it made in two pieces. Very difficult to move the darn thing around to access below!

We had it made all one piece because the original Hunter mattress was in three pieces and was closer to a "pad" than a mattress. We could feel the spaces between the separate pieces. I think their mattress would be fine in two pieces because it is so firm and tall that it would fit together nicely.

Their process for sending the "pattern" was straightforward and the fit is perfect!
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:59   #12

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We bought at a local foam store 4” thick closed cell foam. That was 15 years ago and still comfortable. We are a full time live aboard.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 08:28   #13

All the foams are available from the Foam Factory online. Latex, memory foam, everything.

My V berth setup is a 5" firm high-density foam, with 2" of softer foam on top. I have thought of adding another inch of memory foam... that would make it perfect. But it's very comfortable, as is.

The foam is made from king-size pieces, cut up with an electric carving knife.

The total cost has been about $300. The 5" foam fitted inside the original covers, and then I made a new cover for the 2" topper, from a dark blue cotton fabric.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 11:57   #14

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)

HMC uses a unique fabric hinge so that the mattress can be shipped folded in half (for example) and then easily maneuvered into the area on your boat and then opened up to full size. You can't feel the fabric hinge at all when you are sleeping on the mattress. Back when I first bought mine they were about $1200, now up to about $1500 to $2000.
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 17:20   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Our master berth takes a standard full-size mattress. The only problem is, the head of the bed is below the aft deck and every inch of headroom counts. The current mattress is a normal inner spring about 9" thick.

We've wondered if 6-7" of foam would work. Those extra 2-3 inches of headroom would make a world of difference. There are so many to choose from (and such a wide price range) it's been difficult to know where to begin the search.

Keep those options coming!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote