Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2023, 12:21   #1

Cruising the Leewards

My wife and I plan on cruising for 7 weeks on a 39' Leopard cat out of St. Martin starting mid January of '24. We have never sailed there...have done many cruises to BVI and also the Windwards from Martinique to Grenada quite some time ago. Our charter does not allow for night sailing so I think we may be limited to cruising as far south as Nevis. Would like to get info from folks who have cruised this region on where to go. Don't feel like we need to cover a lot of ground and want the option to hang in one spot for a while if we like it. Planning on St. Martin, Anguilla, St. Barts, St. Kitts, Nevis. Any info/suggestions appreciated!
mdvanmetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 12:34   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Cruising the Leewards

With that boat and starting in St. Martin you can island hop all the way down the chain in daylight. Leave at first light and the next island will always be reachable by sundown. And 7 weeks is a lot of time. I'm in St. Martin right now, and would go to St. Barths first (I skip Anguilla) and from there you could either go straight through to Antigua or head to Saba/Statia/St. Kitts next.
January often still has the "Christmas Winds" which herald the change of season and can last for many days of strong easterlies of over 15 knots. This makes for bigger waves and tougher conditions, but it is all still eminently doable.
Old 21-03-2023, 13:19   #3

7 weeks! Wow I am jealous.

We are planning a charter in summer of 2024 from St. Martin, but only for about 10 days. I am following this thread to see what I can learn. Can I ask which company you are going with? I am just in the surfing-the-net stage, and I found a company called 12 knots with very low rates. I am wondering if anyone has any info or reviews about them.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 11:35   #4

Bump to restart thread
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising