Cruisers Forum

  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 04:29   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3
Cruising Permits

Do we need a permit to sail into US ports from Canada? If so can we do this online or once we are in the USA? A detailed response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

carrtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34   #2
Senior Cruiser
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 47,144
Images: 241
Re: cruising permits

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carrtay.

The master of a pleasure boat must report to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) immediately upon arriving into the United States from a foreign port or place and must provide a formal vessel entry on CF 1300 within 48 hours.
Cruising licenses exempt pleasure boats of certain countries (ie: Canada) from having to undergo formal entry and clearance procedures and can be obtained from the CBP Port Director at the first port of arrival in the United States.
There are four exceptions to the face-to-face inspection at a designated reporting location, NEXUS, Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68), Outlying Area Reporting Stations (OARS), and the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS). Participation in any of the programs does not preclude the requirement for physical report upon request by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

See ➥ Pleasure Boat Reporting Requirements | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

And ➥
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:14   #3
Registered User
Vasco's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Posts: 7,557
Re: cruising permits


You ask for a detailed response yet your question is not specific enough to elicit a detailed answer. West Coast? East Coast? Great Lakes? A general answer would be yes and no.

A cruising license is not generally required of Canadian boats when cruising on the Great Lakes. A cruising license is required, even with NEXUS, if you go further south than the Great Lakes. The procedure varies depending on the reporting station and the citizenship of those aboard the Canadian vessel.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote

cruising, permit

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About American Cruising Permits Lagoon4us Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 10 17-11-2011 13:53
U.S. Cruising Permits Exhale Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 9 15-06-2011 16:33
US Cruising Permits ? Chump General Sailing Forum 3 08-09-2010 11:52
South Pacific cruising permits tracker_46 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 4 09-11-2008 20:15
Caribbean Cruising Fees/Permits kevinm Atlantic & the Caribbean 40 23-11-2007 06:53

Advertise Here

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.