Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 05:08   #1

Cruising documents

We are preparing our selves for the cruising life once our boat is completed this summer. Curious about what documents we need to take with us for long term. Birth certificates, immunization, insurance, boat papers... does anyone have a complete list? Do you take originals or digitize?

Thanks in advance!

TnT
Sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:37   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Cruising documents

I've heard that it makes sense to have a folder containing numerous copies of passports for everyone on board as well as boat papers and insurance docs.
I have no experience so I'll follow this thread.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
We are preparing our selves for the cruising life once our boat is completed this summer. Curious about what documents we need to take with us for long term. Birth certificates, immunization, insurance, boat papers... does anyone have a complete list? Do you take originals or digitize?

Thanks in advance!

TnT
No reason to have birth certificates, passports serve any ID need.

Things you need and we have been asked for:
  • Passport
  • Boat documentation
  • Insurance Paperwork
Things needed that we haven't been asked for (Yet!):
  • World Health Organization Yellow card official immunization record (I think the only requirement these days is yellow fever if you are coming from a place where it is endemic), but we use it to track everything we get. Cholera, Hep A, Typhus, Tetanus, etc.
  • Radio licenses
There is other stuff you'll generate on your trip that you will need to keep track of. Cruising permits, zarpas, etc. Whenever we get one of these we make a copy and a scan.

We carry the originals, and a stack of copies, and a digital copy, just in case. We always email ourselves a copy of the digital version so we could get it off the server from anywhere in an emergency.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:08   #4

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I don't know that there is a complete list, and requirements vary from country to country. Some items we've run into:

1. Crew list in language of the country (required everywhere)
2. List of last 5 or sometimes 10 ports visited
3. List of serial numbers of major components, especially engines

Cheers,
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
I don't know that there is a complete list, and requirements vary from country to country. Some items we've run into:

1. Crew list in language of the country (required everywhere)
2. List of last 5 or sometimes 10 ports visited
3. List of serial numbers of major components, especially engines

Cheers,

Indeed. In lieu of 2, a well-kept log is demanded by some authorities.

A number of countries require if the skipper an ICC or other specified qualification of the skipper.

Multiple photocopies of passports of each crew member is very useful to have handy.

Noonsite.com has good summaries of the requirements of many countries; otherwise check the pilot books and call ahead and ask.

P.S. If you have animals on board, that is a whole nother universe of bureaucratic requirements. In Europe you need a pet passport, plus don't think you can travel freely between EU countries with a pet as if there are no borders -- there are different very strict requirements in many countries. For example, you may simply not transport any domestic animal into the UK, on board a private vessel, period. You have to send a crewman on a commercial ferry, with the poor beast. Many European countries require parasite treatment just before arriving. Do your homework!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:21   #6

One thing I did was color copy my USCG boat document on heavy paper. You couldn't tell it from the original. That way I never had to give an official my real document.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One thing I did was color copy my USCG boat document on heavy paper. You couldn't tell it from the original. That way I never had to give an official my real document.
Oh, you most certainly can tell the difference! Or at least I can...

There is heat sensitive ink on one of the logos. Rub it between your fingers and if the ink disappears, it is an original.

By all means have a copy to handout, but be sure to have the original in case you run into the rare official who knows enough to tell the difference, and cares.

Of course the OP asked about what he needed to BRING, not what information he needed to supply. That varies, and involves filling out the forms they present.

I know all the cool kids have pre-made crew lists, but I am lazy and just fill out the form the official gives me for a crew list. There are usually only two of us, and I have everything memorized so it's pretty easy. If I had a crew of eight or ten, I might think differently.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:43   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Oh, you most certainly can tell the difference! Or at least I can...

There is heat sensitive ink on one of the logos. Rub it between your fingers and if the ink disappears, it is an original.

By all means have a copy to handout, but be sure to have the original in case you run into the rare official who knows enough to tell the difference, and cares.

Of course the OP asked about what he needed to BRING, not what information he needed to supply. That varies, and involves filling out the forms they present.

I know all the cool kids have pre-made crew lists, but I am lazy and just fill out the form the official gives me for a crew list. There are usually only two of us, and I have everything memorized so it's pretty easy. If I had a crew of eight or ten, I might think differently.

I used to get a beautifully printed and laminated registration certificate from the MCA -- my boat is Part 1 registered like any British Ship.

Last year at renewal time, I got a PDF. Which I printed out on a color laser printer and showed to various officials without any problems at all.

Then when I got back to Cowes after 4 000 miles of sailing, I found a hard copy of the certificate in the mail. Beautifully printed and laminated? Nah . . . color laser printed just like the one I did myself

. . .

Concerning crew lists -- some officials will get stressed out if you don't have and keep up to date crew lists. The Turks for example. Also in Russia. I arrived in Russia illegally (you are not allowed to navigate Russian coastal waters outside of daylight hours unless you are already cleared in), and after the customs office was closed. The whole customs office came to me outside of hours, to clear me in. I didn't have any of the multitude of copies of everything I was supposed to have. They were jolly, however, despite my having interrupted their evenings, and helpfully opened up the customs office so I could use their copy machine to correct this deficiency. You might not be so lucky, so do your crew list! Preferably, with your boat stamp on it!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men