Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 20:08   #121
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Cruising and the Affordable Care Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
That's dr.s and surgeons and such. Lawyers are number 8.
Does that go for the VA Government Run System letting Vets die in the gutters or just the Beverly Hills Plastic Docs?
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:09   #122
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
More reason for a single payer system.
Exactly...just likethe VA...sounds great!
Old 28-06-2014, 20:11   #123
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Exactly...just likethe VA...sounds great!

Yes just like the other 99% of the world that has a better healthcare system and better healthcare than the US for less than half the cost. Do you own an insurance company?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:19   #124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes just like the other 99% of the world that has a better healthcare system and better healthcare than the US for less than half the cost. Do you own an insurance company?
We are not talking about the world are we...we are talking about REAL Goverment programs here in the USA with nice measureable track records to evaluate....and so far the US Governemt doesn't have that good of a track record now do they.

Do I own an Insurance Company...No,I just own a little thing called Reality and a strange habit of living in it. In what reality does the US Government run a massive program that you want to control decisions about your health? I don't live in that reality and have the freedom to not subject my family to it...simple really...even if the concept of freedom these days is a radical idea in a world of conforming.
Old 28-06-2014, 20:24   #125
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
We are not talking about the world are we...we are talking about REAL Goverment programs here in the USA with nice measureable track records to evaluate....and so far the US Governemt doesn't have that good of a track record now do they.

Do I own an Insurance Company...No,I just own a little thing called Reality and a strange habit of living in it. In what reality does the US Government run a massive program that you want to control decisions about your health? I don't live in that reality and have the freedom to not subject my family to it...simple really...even if the concept of freedom these days is a radical idea in a world of conforming.

I figured if the rest of the world could have a good government run healthcare system then maybe the US could catch on as well? I'll hold out hope that the US government doesn't rank as low in the world as the US healthcare system.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:49   #126

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Does that go for the VA Government Run System letting Vets die in the gutters or just the Beverly Hills Plastic Docs?
As a vet I can say that this is not a new problem. Vets have been fighting for rights and care since the Revolutionary war...........

This has nothing to do with the ACA and cruising. I think the thread has fallen off of the deep end.......
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:52   #127

Quote:
Not what I've heard. 50% of the doctors costs are dealing with paper work for insurance companies.
That is incorrect. You should become more familiar with health care costs before commenting further.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:26   #128

Quote:

I have to seperate this comment into facts. Contrary to popular belief the U.S. Actually has the #1 health treatment in the world. We have for almost 100 years. We have the best facilities, dr.'s, hospitals, research and treatment. The U.S. In fact submits three times more successfull peer reviewed treatments and international medical board approved procedures than all other countries combined. Go USA. As far as our level of care, no one comes close. But with all the innovation comes a price that the American consumer finds too costly.

Healthcare with the uninsured populous that deos not have health insurance and our high levels of obesity and chronic illness due to obesity heavily sways the numbers. Let's say we had the populous obesity rate of say France or Canada. 9 and 13%, we would have the highest rated "healthcare" in the world instead of #18. I would also include one more calculation as to why the US is rated so poorly for healthcare and that is the "death age" calculation. You always hear that we "pay the most but do not live the longest." Well that again is in part of the birth calculation. We rate our death aggregate from point of birth to death while the remaining rest of the world calculates from age 9 months to death. It's a simple law of large numbers and unfortunately our math makes us look bad.

Some food for thought to make sure you understand why we are #18. It's not our health treatment.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 22:38   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
I have to seperate this comment into facts. Contrary to popular belief the U.S. Actually has the #1 health treatment in the world.
I'd be interested in knowing your source for this, because although you make some good points, other countries also have pretty good health care, so your facts seem a little biased, even if everyone does their accounting a little differently.

I've had health care in other countries, and though handled a bit differently, their outcomes are comparable.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 23:21   #130

Sure, I will PM you some great reading material.

Forgive me if i may have sounded biased. This is not my intention. I was trying to convey that this is not a simply let's move to a single payee system. We will still rank low because of the general U.S. Population health.
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 04:30   #131
CLOD

Boat: none

All hope is lost for discussing the ACA, except for the whining and ranting

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-06-2014, 05:18   #132

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
You just have to love how people that don't know the situation just have to open their mouths and, as they say remove all doubt, as a way to justify their belief system. Paul now knows more about my wife's (a PA-C) medical situation than we do, thanks but we have things under control without the "help" of another Big Government program. Which is eactly the problem...once size fits all...Big Government Solutions. Back to something constructive like working on the teak varnish. That VA Medical system is a model of single payer also...ha ah ah ah a

Presumably some don't understand the difference between auto insurance and heath insurance under the ACA...a common problem these days for a straw man comparison.
Like I said, nothing personal, you are the one that brought up your wife's health, not me. But as usual, I figured you wouldn't deal with the issue at hand - rhetoric about your reality is easier to spew. Getting private insurance prior to the ACA for anyone with pre-existing conditions was very difficult. The policies you suggest for crusiers as low-cost don't reasonably cover (their wide definition of) pre-existing conditions.
Old 29-06-2014, 06:15   #133

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:

Too bad Canada isn't part of "the other 99% of the world".
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 08:13   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Too bad Canada isn't part of "the other 99% of the world".
If you're implying that Canada's healthcare system isn't one of the better ones in the world, well the vast majority of Canadians, and statistics on outcomes, would disagree. I have personal experience with London hospitals - UH, Vic - they're pretty good. Of course nothing's perfect.

To HBWT's point about the quality of US medical care... I think that it's indisputable that the US excels. The problem of course is delivery. I suspect most of us actually agree on this; the disagreements are about the solution.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 11:27   #135

Boat: Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
I probably could had written that a bit more clear……my bad. I realize that there are no "sponsored" plans. But at the same time not all insurance companies partake or provide insurance in the exchanges. So thats my question………

It is just insurance. Has anyone had a different experience with insurance provided within the exchanges? Has it been a lower quality experience.?

The premise of the ACA is "insurance is insurance." If your income is low, as it might be if you were off cruising, than you can buy insurance in the exchange. Your cost is dramatically reduced up front on a monthly basis and any additional costs are subsidized directly to the insurance company. In my state I believe it is Blue Cross.
My cost came down a tiny bit (for this year anyway) under ACA for a platnium plan. However, even though it's a platnium plan they will not cover my blood pressure medicine (or even the one I was on before my current one). They want me to start with something else and work my way back up to that medicine if nothing else works (something I've already done under my old insurance) and then they'll only cover 10% of it. When the numbers come in this year I fully expect a big jump for next years exchange plans. But as to your question is it a lower quality experience, I would say in my experience even with the platnium plan it is.
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising