Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 18:50   #136

Boat: csy 37
Re: Crooks In Dominican Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
A corrupt official has no respect for you period. He wants what he wants.
sheesh!
I think its called "baksheesh".
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 14:30   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
A corrupt official has no respect for you period. He wants what he wants.
sheesh!
But. Unless you are facing a credible threat of personal harm, are witholding your passport and or, other documents necessary to legally clear out and into the next country; or are refusing to release critically needed repair parts, you can agree to pay, but only if provided a receipt. Otherwise, you can also test the 'corrupt officials' resolve by simply refusing to pay whether or not you get a receipt. In either case if you get a receipt as 'proof' of the payment it can be used in the very least to report the incident. If more comfortable for you, reporting can be done after your departure by mail or possibly over the internet. However, if your objective is to recover at least part of your payment, one and probably more visits with your 'proof' to the proper jurisdictional authority may be required. In countries like Putin's Russia, corruption runs so deep there is no effective, honest jurisdictional authority to receive your report. For the sake of the cruising community - of which you are a part in the eyes of others - there are moral and ethical reasons you should at least try. Avoid the temptation to take the easy path to just pay and move on...

Just because a corrupt official "...wants what he wants" doesn't mean he's necessarily going to get it. Ultimately it's up to you and your assessment of the possibilities..
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 10:58   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Russia and most of the former USSR countries are not very religious but still are the most corrupt in any index of corruption.

I believe the corruption on the local level exists everywhere. It's part of human nature. Only in developed countries it is called by other more palatable names - political contributions, networking, country club comraderie, etc. A cop who hides behind a bush thicket to catch you speeding because his chief needs fines to augument the dept's budget is no less corrupt than a cop in Mexico who "honestly" asks you to augument his family budget.
Russia not religious?! Russia emerges as Europe's most God-believing nation - CSMonitor.com

Besides, my point is simply that that if religion spawned morality, then places that are least religious ought to, ipso facto, be most corrupt. Not the case, obviously.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 10:59   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, Libya, Chad and the Sudan are deeply religious.
I can assume you have never been to these places?
My point. Exactly.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:05   #140

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Ahhhh yes. Republica Dominicana. Wonderful place if you are prepared and KNOW where you are going. I would bet my bottom dollar that the OP had this problem first in Samana, or (probably) at the government dock in Puerto Plata. NEVER check into either of these places. If the OP would have read up on a cruising guide (online free) of the DR, this would have been spelled out. Not going to go into particulars because I don't want to go back and fourth about the DR. I've lived in the Caribbean with the DR as my home port for the last 23 years. So, a little piece of advice from a salty ol sailor. When cruising, carry 1 or preferably 2 large bags of change (lots of pennys is ok). After you have paid what is required and a little propina (tip) because it is a very poor country, when asked for more money simply shrug and say that you don't have anymore. it's important to look serious because they are going to pressure you into paying them more money and if you are in POP Govt. dock or Samana Govt. Dock, you have the Commidante and three or four guys with M16's on your boat. Heres the trick. Look worried (like you have to) and say "Oh wait a minute.. I know where more money is". Go down below grab your change bags, bring them topside and with help of your significant other or crew, start counting out change. DON'T LOOK AT THEM. Be worried and trying to count the change. They will leave, and you can have a wonderful laugh at their expense! Remember, You also have to pay to check out of the DR too, and one payment requires pesos, so make sure you have 200 on hand for the navy. maybe another 200 for propina tambien!

Fair Winds & Calm Seas,

JstaRebel
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:23   #141

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I've lived in the Caribbean with the DR as my home port for the last 23 years.
On another thread, you stated you were in the middle of a circumnavigation in 2001.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:32   #142

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
On another thread, you stated you were in the middle of a circumnavigation in 2001.

Mark

Oh, don't be so niggling and pedantic, Mark

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 16:36   #143

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Well, it technically is possible to be in the middle of a circumnavigation AND be living in the DR for the past 23yrs. There is no time limit for those things after all….

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 06:55   #144

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark

Indeed Mr. wannastartafight. FYI, I work with Industrial desalination systems from Nassau to Trinidad and every island (except a few) in between. Guess what? I circumnavigate A LOT! I have a career where I actually get paid to sail the Caribbean. How sweet is that. BTW, You win.. Now we can be friends again!
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 21:30   #145

You are all so nieve. Police and military in most countries make very little money. When I am in Jamaica for instance, I have a modest denomination prepared for any constabulary. I smile, make light conversation and hand him money before he asks.
Dominican Republic is no different. But if you don't want to learn any other language but American, than stay at home.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
henriiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:35   #146

Boat: 40' Leopard

This thread has gotten way out of hand.
  1. I hired the delivery crew that got sick and had to leave the boat.
  2. I was left to bring the boat back with only another crew member ( who was a good navigator).
  3. I had no plans to stop in the DR. The planing was left to the delivery crew.
  4. I left the trip up to delivery crew.
  5. If I would have known I would have to stop in a foreign country I would have studied up on Spanish.
  6. A lot of lessons were learned.

People posted all kinds of making demands to make like receipts , going to the person's supervisor and just not paying . Well, until you have been in a situation in the DR, with the Military you have no clue .
YOU DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE MAN CARRYING THE GUN!!!!

When armed officials come on You, You do whatever is needed.
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:53   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post

This thread has gotten way out of hand.
  1. I hired the delivery crew that got sick and had to leave the boat.
  2. I was left to bring the boat back with only another crew member ( who was a good navigator).
  3. I had no plans to stop in the DR. The planing was left to the delivery crew.
  4. I left the trip up to delivery crew.
  5. If I would have known I would have to stop in a foreign country I would have studied up on Spanish.
  6. A lot of lessons were learned.

People posted all kinds of making demands to make like receipts , going to the person's supervisor and just not paying . Well, until you have been in a situation in the DR, with the Military you have no clue .
YOU DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE MAN CARRYING THE GUN!!!!

When armed officials come on You, You do whatever is needed.
I believe if you go back and read comments where posters recommend obtaining a receipt, asking for a supervisor and testing the resolve of an official demanding illegal payment by refusing to pay, NOBODY HAS ADVISED CONFRONTING ANYONE WITH A WEAPON.

Cruisers need to apply good judgement in whatever they do, but simply acquiescing to illegal demands for payment will do nothing but encourage the miscreants over time, making the situation worse. Anyone who pays before even being asked is doing the cruising community a huge disservice.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic