Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 10:09   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
CPAP

I figure there have to be others that use a CPAP, I can't be the only one, and it does have issues on a boat, mainly power consumption.
I use a PR System One machine as it is powered by 12 VDC, if at home a power brick converts residential power to 12 VDC.
Being a 12 VDC machine it will of course run off of my bank with no inverter losses etc.
How do you deal with CPAP on a boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:21   #2

Re: CPAP

I use a CPAP as well and have a 12 volt plug in system as well as a 110 volt which can be used in 220 v.
I installed a simple lighter plug next to my bunk and it has been doing the job for over 4 years. If I'm doing a crossing I'll sometimes nap on my side without the machine but I have another plug close to my sea berth as well. I place the machine on the floor with some scoot guard under it.
I just replaced mine and I find the new one to very friendly on the use of power, using far less than my older one. If you use it without the humidifier it uses a lot less but I can't as it dries my throat out too much.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I had hoped I could forego the humidifier on the boat, but haven't been able to myself.
Funny as normal breathing you don't need a humidifier, why do you with a CPAP?
I have the lighter plugs next to our bed too, wife is on one as well. She initially would not believe she had Apnea, but I watched her and could tell, I bought an inexpensive recording pulse oximeter and proved to her that she did.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had hoped I could forego the humidifier on the boat, but haven't been able to myself.
Funny as normal breathing you don't need a humidifier, why do you with a CPAP?
I have the lighter plugs next to our bed too, wife is on one as well. She initially would not believe she had Apnea, but I watched her and could tell, I bought an inexpensive recording pulse oximeter and proved to her that she did.
I can't say I know for sure about dry throats but my gut is breathing with your mouth open, the CPAP will pressure up to keep your windpipe open so you don't stop breathing but that's my guess. Good for you in helping your wife, it was my wife who found my problem when I quit breathing at night. We are both divers and my wife said, never thought I'd have to sleep with a guy who kept his SCUBA gear on in bed.
Always a good idea to rub a little Corrosion Block in the contacts from time to time as I have found the lighter plugs are built pretty cheap these days, CPAP plugs are excellent quality.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote