Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2008, 16:31   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams
Confused in Bahamas

Ok, I am still on the way to selling the house, it has been listed for a month now. I can use the search and know google, but I am still confused.

Asume I have a morganO/I 33 or endeavour 32.
  1. Everything seems to agree that Bahamas Customs is 150 for less than 35 feet.
  2. Bahamas website says if staying longer than 12 months arrangements must be made .... but it doesn't say hou long the 150 is good for or cost of extensions or total time you can extend. Bahamas.com \ Customs & Immigration
  3. noonsite says fishing license is for 3 months included with first 150 but doesnt say how long the first 150 lasts. It also says the second 150 covers 12 months. Also a few paragraphs up it says that a maximum of 3 years without 500 extensions from customs Noonsite: Bahamas
  4. Somewhere it stated ONE depart and return within the first 3 months.
  5. I looked on other boards too.
  6. the bahamas fishing regs are available on the above site but doesn'e explain costs for cruisers or some issues
Questions
  • How long is the first 150 good for? 3 months?
  • When you pay for the extension and get 1 year(?) does that include the fishing permit?
  • If it does not include the fishing how much is it and is it for the boat or each person? (noonsite says boat is 150 and idividual is not needed) if I answered my own question be nice about yelling at me.
  • Take a deep breath and refrain from bashing me on this one. Is the use of hawaiian slings for lobster ok or not at the moment? I ask because of several videos on utube.
  • After you head south from the bahamas what do you do with your hawaiian sling in countries where ANY kind of spearfishing is illigal?
  • Anyone else out there flyfishing for bonefish, permit or bluewater while cruising?
Buy my house send me on my way
Wes
Gemini Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 03:40   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Your first cruising permit is good for up to one year if you ask for it. That includes one free re-entry within the first 90 days.

At the end of a year, you must renew and on 35'+ I think the amount is $500. After the second extension you must take the boat out of the Bahamas or pay the import duty.

Don't know about the fishing license in the extension years, but my guess is that it is included.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 05:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Dreams View Post
Take a deep breath and refrain from bashing me on this one. Is the use of hawaiian slings for lobster ok or not at the moment? I ask because of several videos on utube.
  • After you head south from the bahamas what do you do with your hawaiian sling in countries where ANY kind of spearfishing is illigal?
The Bahamas does allow a polespear or Hawaiian sling for taking lobster, during their lobster season. It means finding them is harder than taking them.

You can still carry your spearfishing equipment into most countries that don't allow it themselves, just keep it stowed away well.
Old 21-09-2008, 07:39   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Here is a link to get you started. Google is your friend

Bahamas.com \ Private Boat

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 08:07   #5

Thanks Chuck... but you missed the point. And a link to the same site above although a different page.
"valid for two entries during a 90-day period" also on the web somewhere it says you may leave and return in the first 90 days. So does this mean the first 150 is only good for 90 days total? This site and noonsite and the rest of the forums and crusier logs all contidict and/or are vague on the specifics.

ONE MORE Question. I really missed this one last night. If the fishing permit is good for the boat are you covered or do you need to get other permits to use the tender or fish while wading?

Thanks, Domo, Mercy, Gracias, Danke etc
wes
Old 21-09-2008, 08:32   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Wes,

George has already answered your questions. It's quite simple, your $150 is good for one year. In the first 90 days you can leave and re-enter without a further charge.
Old 21-09-2008, 09:22   #7

You don't always get one year although it is supposed to be that way. It will depend on where you check in and what Customs agent you get. Some will give you less time and tell you you need to renew later. So don't count on it. Not sure about the fishing license since we just paid the fee and went fishing. No one has ever ask us for the permit.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 21-09-2008, 09:31   #8

Chuck,

You may be confused. You always get one year on the cruising permit for the boat. What may be shorter is the length of stay (i.e. visa) given to you by immigration. This is totally different from the cruising permit and does not cost anything. In the smaller ports immigration usually gives you three months and this has to be renewed. In the larger ports such as Nassau they usually give you one year.
Old 21-09-2008, 09:47   #9

You are absolutely correct but I would question how many of us are going to leave the boat for a year but the crew leaves the country and that is an important point. The boat can stay but you must apply for an extension or leave. So in the case of those that have to leave the boat will go with you. The 90 day free entrance was designed for those that came back and forth for fishing tournaments, etc.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 21-09-2008, 10:10   #10

The immigration extensions are a formality. Just go to the immigration office when your 90 days is nearly up. Many cruisers who enter through the smaller ports such as Chubb or Cat get 90 days as those smaller port officials do not have the authority to give a year. They usually end up in Georgetown and run up to immigration and get extensions. It's a small inconvenience and I've never heard of anyone not getting the extension.
Old 21-09-2008, 10:17   #11

Thanks everyone for the 3 month 12 month comments.

Now about that fishing stuff. lol
wes
Old 21-09-2008, 11:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The immigration extensions are a formality. Just go to the immigration office when your 90 days is nearly up. Many cruisers who enter through the smaller ports such as Chubb or Cat get 90 days as those smaller port officials do not have the authority to give a year. They usually end up in Georgetown and run up to immigration and get extensions. It's a small inconvenience and I've never heard of anyone not getting the extension.
EVERY Customs official has the authority to give you the maximum permitted by law, or NOTHING (no entry), if they so choose.
Entry into the Bahamas, or into ANY foreign country, is a privilege, not a right.
The Ministry office, in Nassau, is very accommodating, and might reasonably be expected to grant all legally permissible extensions.
They will also tell you that the original officer was well within his rights & mandate to limit your initial permit, and needs give you no reason for such rulings, nor to even deny you entry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 13:20   #13

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Gemini, RE Fishing: It was explained to me that the fishing license is for the boat. Non comercial only. (Eat what you catch) Your dink is equipment and is included as is the crew.

You should be aware (It is well posted at costoms) about any restrictions on species. (Nassau grouper etc.) And be especially aware of park boundrys as these are no fishing areas and are enforced. (On ocassion)

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 05:03   #14

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Gord, in small ports where one official is doing both customs and immigration I have been told by the officer on duty that they have limited authority on the visa. You may be correct but the folks doing the job certainly believe they have limited authority.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 13:38   #15

FROM Bahamas.com email

Dear,

Bahamas traveler thank you for your interest and choosing the Islands of The Bahamas, I'll gladly mail you and information package which will explain the Bahamas fishing & cruising regulations that relates to sailing to the Bahamas. Visitors, visiting the Bahamas wanting to stay longer than six months, and seeking a extension its upon the discretion of the immigration officer, which is often grated once in good reason.
Your cruising permit includes your fishing permit and isn't specified or excluding not catching any particular fish, once you have your cruising permit your free catch marine life, and fly-fish throughout the Islands of The Bahamas. EXCEPT for the ones that are the Bahamas endangered species list (The Nassau Grouper & marineTurtles) these are of limits and if found with any of the two mention is and infraction of the law.

Mr. Wes I hope this information was useful and helpful if you have any further questions please feel free to contact us, and visit our website Bahams click on the link before you set sail and remember let us help you "Escape Your Everyday Life".

Warm regards,
CARLTON SANDS Sports Co-ordinatorSports Department
The Bahamas Tourist Office
1200 South Pine Island Road-Ste. 750
Plantation, FL 33324
Phone: 954-236-9292 Fax: 954-236-9282
www.bahamas.com

wes

Tags
Bahamas