Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 08:38   #16

Boat: Prout Event 34
Re: Condensation And Smell Under Mattress

Perma-white paint (Lowes) works very well. I used it on all the lockers/compartments on my cat. You think you will still need ail space under the bed.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 08:56   #17

Boat: Camano 41

We used all manner of items to stop the hot-cold point of condensation which will form on a hard surface. Now, I just use cardboard, cut to size and does the trick.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:07   #18

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2445 View Post
Perma-white paint (Lowes) works very well. I used it on all the lockers/compartments on my cat. You think you will still need ail space under the bed.
are you referring to the Zinser bathroom mold resistant parma-white paint?
I've used it to paint inside lockers and the results are impressive.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:11   #19

Tip the mattress on to its side every day.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:32   #20

I've been using marine rubber floormat for years now. It works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200331_182710.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	211752  
dberdou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:52   #21

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm a huge fan of Froli mattress springs. Not only do they give necessary ventilation under the mattress, but they can transform a simple boat-type cushion into what feels like a real bed mattress.

https://www.sv-zanshin.com/r/pages/z...shinifroli.php
Froli is beyond awesome. It eliminating the condensation issue completely, kept it dry when I'd left a porthole open in the rain and makes the bunk so much more comfortable. They ship fast and are the nicest people to work with.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:56   #22

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Hello Scarlet. I understand your problem. Our berth area got so bad from the PO's that the backing plywood from the headliner had to be replaced due to mold. It literally crumbled in our hands.

In our case it was due to lack of ventilation and air movement. We live aboard have spent a fall/winter season on the boat in Petersburg, AK as well as living in the PNW. Even with our hatch open above the berth, some condensation would form overnight. We now use 2 little 12v fans (on low - fairly quiet) to continuously move the air when we are sleeping. Also, our mattress sits on top of a Hypervent pad which helps. Similar to the other airflow pads already mentioned.

Lastly we have a EvaDry (EDV 4000) dehumidifier that runs pretty much continuously when we are on the boat. It is a larger model, but our experience is that the smaller ones were now effective for us.

After you get the area dry, of all these, I believe good ventilation - in all weather - along with fans gives the best results for the buck.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 10:14   #23
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I've been staying on my boat for the last 10 days, and the weather has been cold.. anywhere from 30's to 60's.

2 days ago, I started smelling a really bad smell in the master cabin. Thought it was the head. Didn't really smell anything in there, but went ahead and pumped out, rinsed, and added KO.. smelled like a lovely spring garden..

The smell in the cabin didn't go away. I checked the bilge, and it was clean and dry, and I couldn't smell anything coming from there. As I moved towards the berth, I started smelling it really bad. In fact, it was so bad, I could barely sleep. So, yesterday morning, I tore apart the berth. I have 3 compartments under my berth. 1. a completely empty large drawer, 2. the compartment for the air conditioning, 3. the diesel tank. couldn't isolate any smell, but I didn't see any water, mold, mildew, etc. completely clean

There was, however, water from condensation under the mattress, on the wood base. I have slats under the mattress that lifts the mattress approx. 2"... Mattress was dry, but the wood seemed saturated, and, there was standing water of about 1/4 cup distributed about under the berth. I believe that's where the stench was coming with. I cleaned the entire area with a mold and mildew cleaner... dried it as much as I could with towels, then put my electric heater in the cabin, closed it off, and ran the heater all day to dry the wood out. it does smell a little better.

I am expecting that there will be more condensation tomorrow, and I figure I will need to take the berth apart, and heat up the cabin to dry out the wood.

So, my question is... what can I do to stop this? Do I need higher slats? Do I have no other choice but to tear it apart and dry it every day? I use the electric heater at night, so, it is pretty dry in there. Enough that I wake up with dry mouth, and dried lips. Any suggestions?

(I have a 2011 Lagoon 450, in beautiful shape, clean as a whistle)
I used to have that issue with my previous boat (San Juan 28) when sailing north into British Columbia during the summer. The solon settee would fold out into a very nice bunk and was my preferred sleeping location when cruising solo. I countered the moisture by spreading newspaper under the cushions before going to bed and removing it in the morning. It did a good job of absorbing the amount of moisture that developed overnight but I don't recall any offensive odor, that could be a different issue altogether enhanced by the developing moisture. What is the cushion/mattress material made of?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 10:45   #24

Boat: KP 46

I had the same problem, but no slats, just wood under the mattress. I went to Goodwill and bought a thick ALL cotton quilt which fit under the mattress, I take it out and wash it every couple of months and have had no problem with moisture or smell. If you can find one with thick weave it works better.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 12:32   #25

Condensation is a bugger that will appear in RV overhead or attic and even in homes if you use a foam mattress and solid ply support. It shows up worst with warm air that holds water and in any temp affected spot and it will rain indoors. I often suggest a dehumidifier which also may warm or cool just a bit. Cheap to run and if you need water, there it is pure condensed water..and the air smells better and feels good too. And lower humidity will preserve a million places you dont see the condensation as well..behind headliners and in bins quietly dewy and showing mold only months later..

I like to keep the boat open in daytime and run the DH all night along with low heat.
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 12:32   #26

We’ve lived a aboard for over 7 years...in climates such as San Diego and then Annapolis. We essentially solved the moisture using a system to main gain air flow under the bed, such as been discussed. Also, continuous movement of air with 12v fans. If u have access to the space underneath your bed, you can consider adding foam insulation. Not too expensive, cuts easily and can be glued in place...these steps will make the inevitable moisture minimal.
sailorrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 12:45   #27

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberdou View Post
I've been using marine rubber floormat for years now. It works well.
Yep, we have a very similar product under our mattress. Stopped any condensation completely and was very inexpensive. Ours is a very firm foam, can be squeezed between strong fingers but hard enough to fully support the mattress.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:01   #28

Boat: O'Day 40

I got the solution from the sailing blog of a couple sailing the inside passage in winter.
An electric mattress pad put underneath the mattress.
This eliminates condensation in the mattress and under it.
We have that wirery plastic mattress vent stuff next and the interlocking foam floor mats next.
Never a wiff.
You only need to put it on for 3 or 4 hours a day
Old 31-03-2020, 13:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I've been staying on my boat for the last 10 days, and the weather has been cold.. anywhere from 30's to 60's.

2 days ago, I started smelling a really bad smell in the master cabin. Thought it was the head. Didn't really smell anything in there, but went ahead and pumped out, rinsed, and added KO.. smelled like a lovely spring garden..

The smell in the cabin didn't go away. I checked the bilge, and it was clean and dry, and I couldn't smell anything coming from there. As I moved towards the berth, I started smelling it really bad. In fact, it was so bad, I could barely sleep. So, yesterday morning, I tore apart the berth. I have 3 compartments under my berth. 1. a completely empty large drawer, 2. the compartment for the air conditioning, 3. the diesel tank. couldn't isolate any smell, but I didn't see any water, mold, mildew, etc. completely clean

There was, however, water from condensation under the mattress, on the wood base. I have slats under the mattress that lifts the mattress approx. 2"... Mattress was dry, but the wood seemed saturated, and, there was standing water of about 1/4 cup distributed about under the berth. I believe that's where the stench was coming with. I cleaned the entire area with a mold and mildew cleaner... dried it as much as I could with towels, then put my electric heater in the cabin, closed it off, and ran the heater all day to dry the wood out. it does smell a little better.

I am expecting that there will be more condensation tomorrow, and I figure I will need to take the berth apart, and heat up the cabin to dry out the wood.

So, my question is... what can I do to stop this? Do I need higher slats? Do I have no other choice but to tear it apart and dry it every day? I use the electric heater at night, so, it is pretty dry in there. Enough that I wake up with dry mouth, and dried lips. Any suggestions?

(I have a 2011 Lagoon 450, in beautiful shape, clean as a whistle)

Buy a dehumidifier and always use it when you have power
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:53   #30

Buy a dehumidifier and always use it when you have power Have had it in my Lagoon 380 since the boat were new 12 years ago. Close everything so no new humidity can come in.
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation