Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05   #241
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

melissa-
I can't speak for specific designs, but maybe 3 years ago I read a self-published ebook by some fellow who had decided to just change his life, buy a boat and go sailing, and among other things he installed some "composting" head in the bow. Only to find out the hard way that apparently when women used it, it did not separate out liquids properly and overflowed. So apparently, there are some differences in designs, or some "user training" is required for some of them. (His misadventures were more involved than just that.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:37   #242

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, hellosailor,

I can not confirm that separating toilets do not work for women.
I built one myself in 2016 and myself (female) and any other women using it never had problems with it.
Move a little forward and do the liquid, move a bit backward and do the hard stuff.
Works flawless.

Total cost to built was roughly 60€ incl. Seat, separation funnel a bucket and some plywood. The liguid tank we found in a Beach.

Only important thing, do not forget to empty the liquids from time to time.

No odours either, we usw a computerfan with a separate vent. Runs nonstop and is very quiet. Do not forget a flyscreen in the vent and a flytrap in the box (not in the bucket).
We can flush underneath the toilet for cleaning using our showerfitting.

Franziska
Old 06-09-2018, 11:53   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajenks View Post
Really dismayed to find this post this evening--we installed a C-Head on our Mao Ta 36 this summer and I've been pysched about the composting toilet idea for a long time but I am having great challenges with the conjunction of female anatomy and the C-Head specifically. Our choice of the C-Head was a combination of the price, the smaller size, and also the non-proprietary containers, but the smaller size also means the urine-diversion apparatus is much more complicated to use. After a week of constant use I have been unable to get 100% of my urine into the diversion tank, and the small amount of backdribble means that our compost does not smell like compost but like holding tank. What's worse is that the hole for poop does not seem large enough for my average poop--I'm hitting both sides and most recently dropped a huge load right on top of the urine diverter.

Is the C-Head just too small for women? Is it designed by a man for men?
The literature on their website says most people figure it out in 1-2 uses--am I an outlier or their other women out there who are just silent in their unhappiness with the system, or worse yet, rowing ashore to poop?

The only possible solution I can think of is separate giant funnels on top of the toilet--lined with what? Greased paper?

Scooping poop by hand out of the urine funnel--one time was enough. Feeling extremely frustrated.
c head seems to have at least a cure for your urine issue .
And body placement seems to be the answer for your solids issue
custom_order
Lady's Maid

This is a simple device to assist the ladies in getting the urine
into the urine funnel easily and completely if needed. It can
be made from a nylon ladle that is available at Walmart
("Mainstay" brand) for less than a dollar. We recommend
this brand specifically. Simply cut a 1-inch hole (or multiple
smaller holes) in the center of the bottom of the ladle. The
appliance is held in place while urinating and then rinsed off
with water and hung nearby
Making your own seems to be a much cheaper option .
Don't know I'm a solo male sailor.
So the transmission funnel is more my speed .
Old 06-09-2018, 12:51   #244
cruiser

Hi folks. New to the forum so had to jump in. I’ve got a Cape Dory 25 on a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor next door to the Boat Galley. One of the reasons I bought the boat was it has a Nature Head and after a summer of use I would never have any other sanitation system on a boat. It’s easy to use, easy to clean, no worse than a cat litter box, and uses no water.
I’ve been using mostly peat moss as it’s readily available at the local HD but I’ve ordered some coir and will try it next. A bag of peat moss lasts me 2 weeks. Probably could get longer but changing it out is pretty easy.
The liquid gets dumped every Tuesday, Tuesday is Pee Dump Day! The marina has a portable dump station and you have to let the office know you are making a dump. They give you a receipt and register your dump in the pee dump book. It’s required by law to do a registered pee dump once a month. Failure to comply is a $250 fine.
The fan is vented to the stern and runs all the time using maybe.3 amps.
I keep some vinegar in a spray bottle for occasional stray odors.
The solid waste goes into a trash bag and into the dumpster.
As for toilet paper I get those little blue bags for picking up dog droppings and put the tp in them, tie up the bag, and put into the dumpster with the garbage.
The toilet sits under the rear hatch in an easy accessible spot and is easy to get in and out. I wanted to mount it up on deck on the bow so I could wave to everyone while in use, but I got talked out of it.
Very happy with the Nature Head though. Well worth it over a conventional marine head.
The marina staff said I should learn to call it urine. I said it took me 20 years to learn to call it pee.
Capt. Fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:28   #245

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The liquid gets dumped every Tuesday, Tuesday is Pee Dump Day! The marina has a portable dump station and you have to let the office know you are making a dump. They give you a receipt and register your dump in the pee dump book. It’s required by law to do a registered pee dump once a month. Failure to comply is a $250 fine.
My gawd...

Jim
Old 06-09-2018, 14:30   #246

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My gawd...
My sentiments exactly

Where is this place Fritter? … so I can avoid it.
Old 06-09-2018, 14:32   #247
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Fritter View Post
Hi folks. New to the forum so had to jump in. I’ve got a Cape Dory 25 on a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor next door to the Boat Galley. One of the reasons I bought the boat was it has a Nature Head and after a summer of use I would never have any other sanitation system on a boat. It’s easy to use, easy to clean, no worse than a cat litter box, and uses no water.
I’ve been using mostly peat moss as it’s readily available at the local HD but I’ve ordered some coir and will try it next. A bag of peat moss lasts me 2 weeks. Probably could get longer but changing it out is pretty easy.
The fan is vented to the stern and runs all the time using maybe.3 amps.
I keep some vinegar in a spray bottle for occasional stray odors.
The solid waste goes into a trash bag and into the dumpster.
As for toilet paper I get those little blue bags for picking up dog droppings and put the tp in them, tie up the bag, and put into the dumpster with the garbage.
The toilet sits under the rear hatch in an easy accessible spot and is easy to get in and out. I wanted to mount it up on deck on the bow so I could wave to everyone while in use, but I got talked out of it.
Very happy with the Nature Head though. Well worth it over a conventional marine head.
The marina staff said I should learn to call it urine. I said it took me 20 years to learn to call it pee.
reminds me why I don't want to go to Florida
Old 06-09-2018, 14:47   #248

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Never had an issue with composters for 3 years in Florida, I will say natures head and airhead are overpriced pieces of crap, as in you have a $1000. Bucket. And we never had a women onboard who could per properly in the C head, including my wife. Maybe some people enjoy playing with crap and piss, it's get really old. Doing it several times a month
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 14:57   #249

Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi, hellosailor,

I can not confirm that separating toilets do not work for women.
I built one myself in 2016 and myself (female) and any other women using it never had problems with it.
Move a little forward and do the liquid, move a bit backward and do the hard stuff.
Works flawless.

Total cost to built was roughly 60€ incl. Seat, separation funnel a bucket and some plywood. The liguid tank we found in a Beach.

Only important thing, do not forget to empty the liquids from time to time.

No odours either, we usw a computerfan with a separate vent. Runs nonstop and is very quiet. Do not forget a flyscreen in the vent and a flytrap in the box (not in the bucket).
We can flush underneath the toilet for cleaning using our showerfitting.

Franziska

I've heard tales of people stretching saran wrap over the toilet bowl in the ladies room.... I suppose this was to control gnats???

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 15:17   #250

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Hold up there

I mentioned this on page 5 last May, here's the post:

For the OP, I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned.

In Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, FL if you pick up a mooring and have a marine head, the city will have a pump-out boat automatically empty your holding tank. If you have a composting toilet they will not, however, you are required to empty the urine container to the pump-out boat every "X" number of days. Can't remember exactly how many days.

We have a Natures Head. The extended time between worrying about pump-outs and emptying the container is the main advantage.

As far as I know, it's only in Boot Key Harbor, on the city's mooring balls. Even if you don't have a composter, they send the "pump-out boat" to pump out your boat. Even if you're not on it........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 16:03   #251
cruiser

Keep in mind, Boot Key Harbor is relatively small and surrounded by land on three sides with a narrow channel to the west and small creek to the south. Pollution can be a big issue considering there are at least 200 vessels there at any given time and no currents, just the tide.
The city and county are trying to clean up the Keys waters and stopping to illegal waste dumping is a start. The rules I mentioned for liquid waste dump are not onerous at all. It’s a quick dinghy ride in to empty your waste and get a receipt. No big deal.
Nothing wrong with keeping the waters clean.
Old 06-09-2018, 16:07   #252
cruiser

And perhaps I should mention the liquid dump requirement is for those with compost toilets. Vessels with holding tanks get a pump out every week. All of this, compost or pump out is free, included with the mooring rent.
Old 06-09-2018, 16:41   #253
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Fritter View Post
And perhaps I should mention the liquid dump requirement is for those with compost toilets. Vessels with holding tanks get a pump out every week. All of this, compost or pump out is free, included with the mooring rent.
I don't stay anywhere for that long when I'm cruising.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:46   #254

Boat: Outbound 44

Just saw this posted on the Cruisers Network mailing list. Limits on composting heads in Annapolis.
Quote:
I spent an hour or so with Beth Bellas, Annapolis Harbormaster, Thursday. Lots of good information which I'll write up for a longer article, but here's the official statement.

Boats with composting heads are welcome in City Waters. They may transit through, stay at private or public docks for as long as they like People with composting heads may not stay in City waters ON ANCHOR OR ON A MOORING longer than one (1) week. Composting heads are not designed for uninterrupted use, and when users dispose of the solids in our public trash cans, this creates a public health concern. Users are also tempted to dump urine overboard, in violation of state and local laws and ordinances.

IMHO, as long as we have a specified policy, our Clean Wake obligation is to follow the local policy. I looked into the manufacturers specs a bit and I did see a reference that they were not recommended for uninterrupted use as there isn't sufficient time (typically) for solid waste to compost in that scenario. I have found none of them to be Coast Guard approved so far, so we will want to keep an eye on the use of these in other waters as time goes by.

The message is that Annapolis has been wrestling with all of the challenges that a municipal facility runs into with City Councils and funding. They are and have been trying to take care of boaters and their home waters by enforcing regulations already on the books. Lots of derelict vessels are gone.. Sunken mooring balls have been marked, but legally they cant do anything with private moorings in their jurisdiction. They are making an effort to welcome us and communicate with us when something changes. Good work is underway.

Kathy Barth
Five & Dime
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53   #255
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Just saw this posted on the Cruisers Network mailing list. Limits on composting heads in Annapolis.
I'm waiting for someone to challenge all of her false information that is in that letter.

Tags
oil, regulations, rule