Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 03:18   #136

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniTS View Post
This is our second season with a Nature's Head (weekends and the odd week). We really like it (I especially like it as emptying is 10000% my hubby's job haha, though he constantly reassures me it's easy and not gross). My only complaint, and something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread, is that, possibly in combination with the way our boat is built, it's sort of made for giants and I have to do a little hop to get up there (I'm 5'3 with short legs). Other than that and based on our experience so far we would absolutely rip out an existing system and replace it with a nature's head on any future boats.
The height of the Natures Head is worth mentioning. They have the dimensions on their website and it's worth taking a tape measure into the head to see how it will fit. Also, most conventional heads on boats sit on a raised platform, which makes the Natures Head even taller when installed. I've seen a few work-arounds like a foot step to rest your feet while on the "throne." I will eventually cut out the raised platform on my boat and glass in a lower platform, but the height hasn't been a problem so far (or enough of a problem to push this up to the top of the list).
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 08:16   #137

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We use a churnless, ventless, DIY system for years as full-time liveaboards. There was a bit of a learning curve (maybe one month) but after that no issues, no odors, no problems.

The main part of the learning curve is learning to keep the solids absolutely dry. This especially means starting with very dry media. Details here: https://raindogps34.wordpress.com/20...ur-dry-toilet/

More details on how we built ours here: https://raindogps34.wordpress.com/head-project/
Welcome back Raindog! Your DIY instructions made me decide to build my own. My PSC Orion has even less room than yours and the slope of the hull precludes the big three composter manufacturers except possibly a modified unit from c-head.
Still gathering info.

A question for Panope; did you use star board or finished plywood for your project? As Copacabana has said, your install is one of the best I've seen.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:57   #138

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Goat,

All surfaces in the head are painted plywood. The exception being the bent wood piece under the seat - it is varnished.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 10:25   #139

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Thanks Steve, once again, great job.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 11:58   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Welcome back Raindog!
Thanks!

We are about to buy our new boat. The first project will be ripping out the head, holding tank, and all fittings and building a new desiccator.

Thanks to all for all the great info here.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:33   #141

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

[QUOTE=RainDog;2638450...The main part of the learning curve is learning to keep the solids absolutely dry.../[/quote]

RaindDog

What do you do with TP: dump it in or keep it out?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:59   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
RaindDog

What do you do with TP: dump it in or keep it out?
Normally we put TP in a separate trash can and keep it separated (a la Mexico/Central America).

Especially "dirty" toilet paper we put into the solids bin of the head and treat just like other solids (i.e., cover with media).

We don't normally stir our solids, but sometimes if I throw TP in there I will stir before adding media to get the TP under the existing media.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:49   #143

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We have an Air Head. After using coir and peat moss we were both fed up with the fruit flies and a very faint odor.

Out of desperation more than brilliance, we picked up a bale of cedar chips from Walmart (hamster bedding stuff, about US$7.00) and we are 100% happy with the results. No odor, no flies, easy to handle, keeps everything very dry.

The only drawback is the size of the package, so storage can be an issue. I find that if I break it down into 3 or 4 of those vaccuum sealer bags (the large size for storing clothes) I can fit it into my storage scheme better. Then when I need it I fill 3 gallon ziplocks. One for use and 2 more just so I don't have to do it so often.

Other than that, it's like coir. Start with a layer about 1-2" and every morning I add a handful and churn.

I have about a months more supply out of the first bale, I bought it in November, so 6 months for $7.00 - no bugs, no smell - I'm happy.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:06   #144

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Why complicate a simple system? The beauty of a composting toilet is its simplicity and the fact that it works beautifully. I think you're coming up with complicated solutions in search of a problem...
problem is solid wastes can be handled for ... maybe a month or more, whiles urine has to be dealt with about daily, and people with badges are everywhere.

3 miles out ... evidently no problem. But get caught close to shore, or anywhere on the Great Lakes, and you find the act of dumping your urine bottle is illegal .... now if caught, that too could be very complicated ... much more complicated than really needed .... maybe even more complicated than working out a way of drying out the liquid part of the urine.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:18   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
problem is solid wastes can be handled for ... maybe a month or more, whiles urine has to be dealt with about daily, and people with badges are everywhere.

3 miles out ... evidently no problem. But get caught close to shore, or anywhere on the Great Lakes, and you find the act of dumping your urine bottle is illegal .... now if caught, that too could be very complicated ... much more complicated than really needed .... maybe even more complicated than working out a way of drying out the liquid part of the urine.
solve the problem and just per directly over the side. Not illegal anywhere.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:38   #146

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post

I’ve spent most of my cruising life in the Great Lakes, and most of that with my composter. No problems with authorities, or dealing with the waste bins. But you’re certainly correct, it is technically illegal to dump urine.

Like I say, check out Sun-Mar if it’s an issue that concerns you. It does not separate, and evaporates the urine using a heater.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:56   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Comosting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Hi all users of composting loo's. I like the idea hugely and have been finding as much info as possible. The one question I have never seen asked is about the composting material outside of the first world? What if you are slowly circumnavigating? Whether you use moss or coir etc is not relevant - can materials be carried in sufficient quantity (volume/weight?) to last a crew of four for a year? Or can anyone pass on experience of obtaining the material in South Pacific/Indian Ocean/Red Sea/Caribbean/Med etc? What are alternatives? .....and for the composting loo doubters I am aware that in many of the more remote places it might be fair game to just discharge overboard regardless but I prefer to follow my own rules.
Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Jim, at anchor the urine goes over the side. I have two containers for my Nature’s Head. Nice to be able to quickly swap out.

mikedefieslife: Some people have done this; connected the urine hose to a standard holding tank. Seems unnecessary to me, and erases one of the benefits of these heads, but it can and has been done.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:01   #148

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Bulawayo, you can carry a few years' worth of coconut coir bricks on board. They take up little room. Also, I think you'll find that they are available pretty much anywhere in gardening shops. In a pinch, you can always use wood chips, saw dust, peatmoss etc.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 12:33   #149

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Bulawayo, you can carry a few years' worth of coconut coir bricks on board. They take up little room. Also, I think you'll find that they are available pretty much anywhere in gardening shops. In a pinch, you can always use wood chips, saw dust, peatmoss etc.
+1. Coir bricks are small. There’s really no issue carrying enough to last as long as you need to.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:44   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Comosting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi all users of composting loo's. I like the idea hugely and have been finding as much info as possible. The one question I have never seen asked is about the composting material outside of the first world? What if you are slowly circumnavigating? Whether you use moss or coir etc is not relevant - can materials be carried in sufficient quantity (volume/weight?) to last a crew of four for a year? Or can anyone pass on experience of obtaining the material in South Pacific/Indian Ocean/Red Sea/Caribbean/Med etc? What are alternatives? .....and for the composting loo doubters I am aware that in many of the more remote places it might be fair game to just discharge overboard regardless but I prefer to follow my own rules.
Many thanks.
here ya go High EC Coco peat blocks.
Block Dimension 20 cm x 10 cm x 5 cm
Block weight 650 grams ( +/- 3 %)
and that is enough for each change of the solids . They expand go about 2 gallon size. So about 12 of them per year or so.

Tags
oil, regulations, rule