Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 08:39   #346
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Looks good fxykty. Removal of the existing head system is definitely the hardest part of the whole process. I’m sure you’re going to love all the freed up space .
second that sentiment then there is also the never having to clean the sludge out of anywhere ever again. That makes it all worth it IMO .
Old 12-05-2019, 11:41   #347

Personally I consider flush toilets and absurd thing to have on a boat..... One of those features of modern life that never really belonged on yachts, and has resulted in some really disgusting situations......... composting makes sense in enclosed waters.... off shore "bucket and chuckit" or "direct deposit" makes the most sense.... Human waste in the open ocean is NOT a pollutant any more than that of marine mammals or fish.... pollution is a function of concentration as a rule. Most of the things we regard as "pollutants" are only pollutants because they are concentrated in a small area.

Bravo on eliminating through hulls..... My ambition is to have a boat with ZERO through hulls..... which is realistic with a catamaran or trimaran, but not with a monohull.... Sea water cooling is a real trouble spot on any engine....There are a lot of arguments against radiators on boats, but anything in contact with sea water will get fouled, and is subject to corrosion..... I've toyed with all kinds of ideas.... Considering the low horsepower in many boats, it should not take a lot to cool them...

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:04   #348
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Personally I consider flush toilets and absurd thing to have on a boat..... One of those features of modern life that never really belonged on yachts, and has resulted in some really disgusting situations......... composting makes sense in enclosed waters.... off shore "bucket and chuckit" or "direct deposit" makes the most sense.... Human waste in the open ocean is NOT a pollutant any more than that of marine mammals or fish.... pollution is a function of concentration as a rule. Most of the things we regard as "pollutants" are only pollutants because they are concentrated in a small area.

Bravo on eliminating through hulls..... My ambition is to have a boat with ZERO through hulls..... which is realistic with a catamaran or trimaran, but not with a monohull.... Sea water cooling is a real trouble spot on any engine....There are a lot of arguments against radiators on boats, but anything in contact with sea water will get fouled, and is subject to corrosion..... I've toyed with all kinds of ideas.... Considering the low horsepower in many boats, it should not take a lot to cool them...

H.W.
that has been tried and except on small open launches with very low hp motors or small outboard the air exchange necessary is not practical on a small car or tri outboard motors are practiced and even with water cooling do not necessitate a thru hull fitting .
(They even do make small diesel outboard ).
There are always needs for a thru hull fitting on a cruising boat . However you can eliminate those below the waterline and a composting head is the best first option.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:43   #349

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
All true. I dispose of the used compost material offshore when I can. The nice thing about a composter is you have the easy option of going either way.
Old 12-05-2019, 13:18   #350

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well done, fxykty! Mike, at 55 ft., he has lots more room than most of us! We were aboard an Outremer 55 once, and I was impressed: it really seemed a boat that would be easy to sail, easy to see out of. An altogether good deal, if one were interested in a cat.

Ann

Tags
oil, regulations, rule